Best driving bit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I am looking into bits and I want something that is comfortable for my driving mare. She really does not need anything severe. Comfort is just what I have in priority. I am lookin at some half cheek french link bits with copper inlay, which I know are popular. We are currently driving in a regular half cheek snaffle bit, which seems be fine, but as I said - I just want her to be comfortable. Thank you!

I know the Myler bits are popular, I think the "Kelly" brand has a knock off of the Mylers...do the Kelly bits come close to the Mylers?

JMO, but I think the best driving bit is whatever is most comfortable for YOUR horse. Not all mouths are shaped the same. I am also a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Now, that said, I do like the Myler bits (I have 2 - a comfort snaffle and a mullen mouth) but I would not use one of the cheaper knock-offs. Again, JMO.

Mini Express sells a very nice french link 1/2 cheek--it is stainless steel with a copper link. I have one and am going to be ordering more of them. I also have a number of french links with an all copper mouth, but those cannot be used on any horse that chews the bit--it doesn't take long to ruin an all copper mouth if the horse starts grinding on it. The Mini Express french link bits are around $30 and very nice quality for the price. I do find most horses prefer the french link bit over the ordinary jointed snaffle.

Myler bits are nice, but pricey--as for the cheaper knockoffs, I stay away from those. There have been a few cases where the cheaper ones broke during use--if that happens the bit can injure the horse's mouth and obviously a broken bit could lead to a serious accident as well.

I went from a regular half cheek snaffle to the french link snaffle. Then bought a Mylar comfort snaffle they are well worth every penny. And like Target said forget the knock off version.

I too like the Mylers; have the same two as targetsmom. Kelly has a long history as a bit maker, so their product *MIGHT* be acceptable. Certainly I have owned several Kelly bits in the past 50 years or so(don't recall when I got my first Kelly, but it was a LONG time ago!). I would think you could research, maybe contact the company, find out more about who is making their bits, etc., then decide. I would stay away from any 'no-brand' knock-offs of the Mylers, for sure.

Iowa Vally Carriage carries some nice and reasonably-priced mini-sized driving bits. I have a butterfly w/ a 'german silver'? French link mouthpiece that my larger B really likes. Not sure what basic half-cheeks she carries, but her website is very comprehensive...and she is very nice to deal with!

Margo

I use the Mylar knockoffs of the Kelly Brand, my show stallion Magnum had been shown using a mylar and just starting out I didnt want to pay $150 for a bit not even knowing if he would still drive well enough for show. He drives like the champ he is with the Kelly brand bit and I have not had any issues with it.

Edited to add that I agree with a previous comment that what works for one horse may not work for another.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I agree with a previous comment that what works for one horse may not work for another."

So there's more than one of us that agree on that. Here's why. My stallion went to a trainer who tried to use a French link on him. The stallion hated it. In fact when he started out he hated anything that caused pressure on his tongue and a French link LAYS on the tongue. He worked best in low port correction bit that I happened to have because it arched over his tongue. Then I bought him a mullen Myler that gave him some tongue relief. After nearly a year I was able to work him in a regular cheap snaffle half cheek. So IMO if you have something that works and your horse is working well, don't mess with anything else.

I bought one of the knock off mylers, its nowhere near comparable to the "same" bit made by myler. It does not move and pivot the same, and is bulkier. They also feel cheaper, and since owning one, I have read several instances of them breaking. I did a quick google search and came up with this picture

badbit1.jpg

badbit3.jpg

I didnt have money to buy a new myler to replace my bit, so I got a french link bit with a copper dogbone. Its a very nice bit, much more comfortable than a regular snaffle, and I paid about $30 for it. Cant remember if I got mine from starlake tack or mini express though.

I bought one of the knock off mylers, its nowhere near comparable to the "same" bit made by myler. It does not move and pivot the same, and is bulkier. They also feel cheaper, and since owning one, I have read several instances of them breaking. I did a quick google search and came up with this picture

badbit1.jpg

badbit3.jpg

I didnt have money to buy a new myler to replace my bit, so I got a french link bit with a copper dogbone. Its a very nice bit, much more comfortable than a regular snaffle, and I paid about $30 for it. Cant remember if I got mine from starlake tack or mini express though.

My mare loves her Myler comfort snaffle, and I am looking to get another. My other fav bits are french link and mullens, yet I did have one mare that refused anything but a plain old half cheek single broken mouthpiece. I hated that bit, and she loved it...so that is what I used.

I too had seen that picture several times, and the thing that comes to mind when I look at it, is that the mouthpiece looks far more like an actual Myler than the Kelly knock-offs that I have. The non-Mylers I have, have a much larger roller that this.

I am going to go ahead and purchase a myler bit, I am between two...the first and the second bit here http://starlakefarm.com/bitsmylar.html ...

The Myler Comfort Snaffle EPB-01 or the Myler Ported Comfort Snaffle EPB-04...could someone tell me (in terms I can understand) what the difference is between these two bits and how it will affect the comfort of my driving horse?

I kind of like the idea of relief on the tongue, but does this mean you lose some control? Thank you..

I am going to go ahead and purchase a myler bit, I am between two...the first and the second bit here http://starlakefarm.com/bitsmylar.html ...

The Myler Comfort Snaffle EPB-01 or the Myler Ported Comfort Snaffle EPB-04...could someone tell me (in terms I can understand) what the difference is between these two bits and how it will affect the comfort of my driving horse?

I kind of like the idea of relief on the tongue, but does this mean you lose some control? Thank you..
It would depend on your horse's mouth really, which would be best. If he has a thick tongue, and normal palate, he could carry the higher ported version easily; but, if he has a thick tongue and low palate, he might not. My mare, with a normal palate and tongue carries the regular comfort snaffle like it was made for her. Her's also has the sweet iron mouthpiece and she seems to enjoy it as well.

The best thing about Myler bits, (and most reputable tack shops with any bit) is that they will allow you to try the product and take it back if you are unhappy with it.

If you are ordering from Star Lake (which is where I got my Myler bits) I would suggest you call it in and talk with Cathy Waxler if you have any questions about the different bits. That was partly how I ended up with the 2 I have. They both work great on Princess, who seems to have a normal mouth.

I am looking into bits and I want something that is comfortable for my driving mare. She really does not need anything severe. Comfort is just what I have in priority. I am lookin at some half cheek french link bits with copper inlay, which I know are popular. We are currently driving in a regular half cheek snaffle bit, which seems be fine, but as I said - I just want her to be comfortable. Thank you!

I know the Myler bits are popular, I think the "Kelly" brand has a knock off of the Mylers...do the Kelly bits come close to the Mylers?
I'm not sure why, if the half cheek snaffle you are using is fine, you want to change bits. If the bit you are using wasn't comfortable for her it wouldn't be fine and she would have let you know. But anyway,
default_laugh.png
Myler bits are very well made with smooth, even mouthpieces and tight joints and good metals. The Kelly bits are less well made using inferior metals and quite often have rough mouthpieces and loose joints hence the great difference in price. Do I think the Myler bits are worth the extra money in comparison to the Kelly's? Yes if that is the only mouthpiece that works for your horse. There are quite a few bits out there that are also well made and considerably less money than the Myler's. The thing you need to keep in mind is that Myler bits are not truly "snaffle" bits. If you are using a snaffle now, where the cheekpiece is loosely attached to the snaffle ring then the Myler is going to be a harsher bit for her even if you use the same jointed mouthpiece. Myler's hang fixed from the cheekpiece and are mild curb bits as you do get the curb action with the rein also fixed on the ring. Your mare may or may not like this. She goes well in a snaffle, which a lot of smaller horses or ponies don't always, which works on her tongue but in a squeezing way. The first 2 Myler bits you are looking at also work on the tongue but by putting downward pressure on the top of the tongue - it is definitely going to be a different feel for her and she may or may not like it. Any bit you choose you are going to go through a getting-used-to-it stage before you can say whether it is a good bit for her or not. What you want to be sure of is that it fits her comfortably BEFORE you go out and try driving with it. Fit it to her and then let her wear it loose in the roundpen and then take her for a grounddrive. Once you are certain that she isn't going to OVER react to it you can hitch her and see how well it works for her. But I still say why fix what ain't broke?!
default_biggrin.png

I've had a lot of success with my big horses liking the Sprenger KK bit, so when I went bit shopping for my mini I tried this out from Pony and Carriage (UK, but ships to the US from their store or ebay):

liverpool_d29sp.JPG

I've been very happy with it and the pony sure seems to like it. The size options were nice too. Not necessary if you don't need a liverpool, but just wanted to mention it since my guy seems to like it a lot! The younger one is just being bitted and still wearing a full cheek, so no idea what he'll like yet!

Leeana said:
I think switching from a regular single-joint snaffle to a mullen or Myler with tongue relief changes how the horse feels the signals so it may require a brief period of "retraining" as the horse learns what the new signal feels like, but I don't think you'd lose control unless the only way you'd been able to stop the horse was nutcracker-ing the jaw until they stopped from the pain.
default_unsure.png
For some horses it might even give you more control as the horse might start listening instead of tossing his head and objecting to the pressure of the bit on his tongue every time you took up contact.

MiLo Minis said:
The thing you need to keep in mind is that Myler bits are not truly "snaffle" bits. If you are using a snaffle now, where the cheekpiece is loosely attached to the snaffle ring then the Myler is going to be a harsher bit for her even if you use the same jointed mouthpiece. Myler's hang fixed from the cheekpiece and are mild curb bits as you do get the curb action with the rein also fixed on the ring. Your mare may or may not like this.
I'm not sure I would have said "harsher," although it's certainly different. Without a curb chain the amount of pressure a short bit perch like that and a rein on the snaffle setting can put on the poll is minimal and certainly far less potentially painful than even a loose ring snaffle being pulled back at full strength.

As just about everyone has said however, every horse is different! Kody LOVES his mullen mouth Myler with low port, but when I put the same bit on Turbo as a baby he freaked out. To him that bit was too narrow in diameter, too solid a bar, too overwhelming. He'd hit it and gape and panic and say "What IS this?! Get it out of my mouth!" He did fine in a German Silver bean link mouthpiece as it was thicker, rounder, softer, and "friendlier" to him. Kody goes fine in the bean bit but for him the butterfly sides end up pinching his chin and he can't STAND a regular single-joint snaffle. He has a low palate and what I'm now realizing is a thick tongue/lips so every bit to him was "too thick." He was pleased as punch when I gave him that nice slim flexible-but-fixed Myler mouthpiece as he could finally trust it and hold it properly. I will be moving Turbo up to a Myler again this next year as I don't think I can show in AMHR with the butterfly (even though it's on the snaffle setting and has no curb chain) but I'll start with the Comfort Snaffle and may wrap it with latex if he still thinks it's too narrow for him. I've noticed that the same bit which works so well for him as a single bothers him when driving as a pair, by the way! The heavier reins put more pressure on the bit and he can't get the release he's seeking so I'm starting to see some resistance in his jaw even though he loves pair driving. A bit that works for them in one context may not in another.

ironbessflint said:
I've had a lot of success with my big horses liking the Sprenger KK bit, so when I went bit shopping for my mini I tried this out from Pony and Carriage (UK, but ships to the US from their store or ebay):
liverpool_d29sp.JPG
This is the same mouthpiece my bit has. EXACTLY the same- I tracked down the Pony and Carriage Co. people when Breanna and I went to the UK and looked at all their stuff in person! LOL. It's very good quality and the sidepieces were nicely sized for the minis. I actually prefer their butterfly bits with this mouthpiece to Iowa Valley Carriages' as they are more traditionally shaped and won't pinch the chin when pressure is put on the bit. As I said though, not all horses will like this mouthpiece (or any mouthpiece) despite the quality construction.

Leia

Just another "depends upon the horse" comment...

I would strongly suggest trying different bits before investing in a Myler. What is the best thing since sliced bread for one pony may be an instrument of torture for another. Palates, thickness of tongue, etc., vary from one horse to another. More expensive does not necessarily equal a better bit for YOUR individual horse.

Your pony may or may not need tongue relief -- she may prefer relief to the bars of the mouth.

The mullen bit is often spoken of as the "kindest" bit nd is often recommended as a great starter bit. Mingus HATED the mullen bit we tried, but loves his French link butterfly, with or without the curb chain. I can't say that I studied the shape of his mouth, as we hit gold with the butterfly, but he's a good example of a "safe" bit not being right for all.

I also agree with Lori that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your mare is going well in the bit you have, stick with it. Listen to your horse before you listen to other people.

Yes the bit I have at the moment does work fine, but, its a $6 bit I purchased from the amish and it does seem to pinch. I had never thought of a bit pinching (halter horse person), but when I read more about bits, I took a long hard look at my bit and I do believe it does pinch her. So, in my journey looking into other bits, this topic came to be. So not, it aint broken...it does work....but I want to improve it.

I found a french link half cheek bit, with a copper middle piece that is no pinch and about $30 from the Iowa Carriage website, that I like the look of and will order tonight and try out.

Back when... before anyone really had any quality mini horse bits. To which Maggie hated them all.

I tried many.. then I got a, EPB 32 HP MYLER MULLEN BARREL, Maggie loves it. It is thin enough to fit comfortably in her mouth, well balanced and made.

There are so many more choices out there now. Know horses driven safely in a bitless... all has to do with training.

But if your bit works for your mini, no need to look for a new one.

Leeana said:
So, in my journey looking into other bits, this topic came to be. So not, it aint broken...it does work....but I want to improve it.
I personally applaud this. Good for you!

Kody worked just fine in his light leather harness. By the way, he goes much BETTER in his fitted, padded sport harness. Just because the horse isn't complaining or doesn't know things can be any different doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to make them as comfortable as possible.
default_wub.png

Leia

Leeanna, I didn't see before that the current bit pinches -- I would definitely consider that broken!

My main point is that a $150+ bit is not in-and-of-itself an improvement if your horse doesn't like it.

I purchased our FL butterfly bit from Iowa Valley Carriage and am a very satisfied customer, so I thnk that's a great choice.

Leia...I, too, want the best for my animals, and if I didn't have to worry about silly expenses such as food, utilities, house building and property maintenance, I, too, would be continually upgrading equipment ;-).

Latest posts

Back