Best companies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF wishes could happen, I'd send you 1/2 my sand and you could send me 1/2 your "over rich" pasture!!
oh, sorry, my pasture won't cooperate with sand!
default_thumbdown.gif

In between rain squalls today I took some photos, plus I've been recently inspired to work on my web-site so I'll try to put some photos up there. I'm really sorry I wandered off-topic.

If your pasture is big enough to be worthwhile, perhaps you could find someone to cut and bale it for you. It's often done on shares, land owner keeping a portion and farmer keeping a portion; or straight up paid for. Hard part might be finding someone with a small square baler if that is your bale preference.
I've been checking out hay equipment. It's just too expensive (...to even buy a used cutter and raker is out of my financial league; forget something that bales.) The girls' area (that they're locked out of) is maybe 3 acres; but it's a fine-bladed grass. We planted some orchard grass on about a quarter acre out in the garden area I'm not using. That did fairly well (it was an experiment on my part.) The husband tried the brush-hog on it, which totally mangled the grass. For now, I take Nicky out on that area (limited access) on halter. Oh well, next year is another year.

I've only seen one person that perhaps could cut and share...

I wouldn't talk to him on principle. The first year we lived here I saw this old boy with a tractor, cutter, baler that was going around the area. I chatted with the neighbors and learned that he was telling them (non-horse types) that he would use it to feed his goats. I saw him everywhere, and I remember commenting to my husband that this old dude must have one heck of a lot of goats. Then I saw him down on the highway selling "horse hay." Weeds, blackberries, etc. Anyway, my apologies to the OP. I'll shut up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back