Behavior Questions-

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
How can I tell if my horse is playing with me or if she misbehaving? I can't imagine she premeditates ways to be bad, but sometimes she will run from me or nip at me when I brush her and twice now has turned around to kick at my husband with both feet when she was moments ago running and chasing us/being chased. Usually, we run around the pasture and she'll chase after us. If I stop and kick my feet up she usually jumps and twirls or throws her head. Never does she come running up on me and act like she'd run me down or hoof me. But once in a while, like I said, she'll get sort of cranky in the middle of playing. Or am I describing misbehavior instead or playing? A lot of times when I groom her and pet her down at eye level, she rubs her nose and face all over me, which I assume is loving. She has only been my horse for two months now, so hopefully she's getting to like me. How can I teach her not to run from me when I approach her with her halter? She hates it!! I should mention she is 6 years old and 33"/240-250 lbs. (is that fat??)

I'm afraid that the game you have been playing with her--allowing her to chase you around as if you were another horse--is teaching her very bad behavior. She isn't meaning to be bad, she is simply treating you like the horse you are acting like, and she is trying to be the dominant horse. If another horse was chasing around with her, it would be perfectly normal behavior for her to turn & kick at that horse with both hind feet, and that is exactly what she is doing with your husband. These are not the sort of games people should ever play with their horses!

You might try either horse treats, sweet cob, or a concentrated feed in a cup to encourage her to come to you to be haltered.

I agree completely with minimor that she views you as her equal and is playing with you like you are a horse.

She need to learn to respect you and trust you.

I'm afraid that the game you have been playing with her--allowing her to chase you around as if you were another horse--is teaching her very bad behavior.
Exactly! She needs to understand that you are not another horse and you are the leader at all times. So unfortunately you have trained her the reverse of what you want. I always tell people you are "training" your horse every single time you interact with it even if you are just petting the horse in the pasture. You need to make sure you are always training something good.

Its a lot like a parent/child relationship. I am the parent not their friend or peer. I am the leader to every single one of my horses and they respect that

Dont get me wrong I have a very loving relationship with my kids and horses but they never doubt who is in charge

I had a feeling in the back of my mind like she wasn't thinking all play, now I know to trust me instincts a little more!

In response to her acting like this, I won't encourage her rowdiness or chase with her anymore. When she starts acting playful like that, should I just stand and watch - maybe laugh and whistle and pet her if she comes near. Or should I just pretend like I don't even notice her? Maybe a better way of playing would be to walk her on her lead, maybe jog a little? I hope I'm not scaring the horse experts!! haha I'm still kinda clueless about their mannerisms and behavior.

As I am getting settled into the caring for them (feeding, stall cleaning, grooming, etc.) I am trying to learn all I can about how to properly interact with them. My older mare basically just grazes, walks with me or wants to be pet - she never gives me any trouble and really is so easy going. I noticed if w have children in the barnyard she will beeline for them to get pet.

I agree with the others. There is nothing wrong with interacting with your mare, walking in the pen with her without a lead or just hanging out, but only after she understands that you are the alpha mare.

My band of mares will run around the pen when I am cleaning the turnout, but if I think they are getting too braisen I will lunge to one side or the other (in their direction) and stomp a foot or tell them to "don't even!!!" in a loud voice. They dart away as if they are saying " run, Mom's PO'ed"

You need to be at the top of the pecking order and remain there, even if you think they may be challenging you.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a rescue Quarter horse, ex hubby still has her . She was difficult to catch, this is how we corrected it . We had her in a stall when she first came , and everytime we went in to halter her we took her to a nicer place...pasture or to grain her . If she were in a turn out pasture and needed to go back in a stall we made sure she had fresh hay and a bit of grain as a reward. Soon she figured out that a halter ment she was about to get something really good to eat. Within a month she was running to us when we showed up at the gate , her pasture was 20 acres or so , this was a great accomplishment for her. hope this method helps.I have a 2 1/2 year old being very cheeky right now , she is not the alpha mare , but wants to be runner up. she is an ear pinner, and snubs you when your trying to pet her. This is her way of saying " mom , I need more one on one training ,so I will look to you as my alpha", and not the other way around. I think this happens to a lot of people , your not doing anything horrible , she is just needing you to be in charge , so she doesnt have to be. My husband and I have a hotel , we only have 3 months off a year 11/2 in november and in May ,and the rest of the time I work like a dog. by the time November comes my horses are hooligans because they have reverted back to wild horses (a little) It takes a week to remind them that I am the overall alpha mare, then all is good again.

I do PNH (parelli natural horsemanship) with my large horse. And we do play with our horse like you are trying with your horse in the field but it sounds like you need to learn a lot more about body language with your mini before you continue doing that.

We love playing with our horses at liberty but they need to know respect and you need to be able to read your horse and know the little body language clues your horse is giving prior to her kicking.

My previous horse would kick out at me when playing and it took me a while to be able to read the settle clues he was giving before he did that to back off or yield the hind quarters.

Horses love to play and will play with you if you let them. If you want to play with your horse like that go to www.parelli.com and look at the program. They do a lot on behavior and your horses different horsenalitys and how you handle and train each differently.

**Caution playing with a stallion this way. Parelli recommends you be at least a level 4 before doing that because of their unpredictability and you are playing a dominance game with them which stallions know a lot about!

I will say parelli will become addictive if you start and get past the first level. I start all my young horses with at least the basics of the 7 games.

Barb

Knighthawke said:
I do PNH (parelli natural horsemanship) with my large horse. And we do play with our horse like you are trying with your horse in the field but it sounds like you need to learn a lot more about body language with your mini before you continue doing that.
We love playing with our horses at liberty but they need to know respect and you need to be able to read your horse and know the little body language clues your horse is giving prior to her kicking.

My previous horse would kick out at me when playing and it took me a while to be able to read the subtle clues he was giving before he did that to back off or yield the hind quarters.

Horses love to play and will play with you if you let them.
I agree! I play with my horses at liberty but each and every one of them knows that 1) I am the boss, and B) Mama's a little more fragile than they are and there are special rules when they play with me. They can run, they can buck, they can play all they want but hind feet are NEVER to be aimed in my direction and when Mama says the game is over it's time to calm down and come to me quietly. If you aren't fluent enough in equine body language to tell the difference between play and aggression, coaxing and challenge, fun and fury, then you're better off to restrict your play to work on a leadline or free-lunging with a whip until you are.

My mom gets rather confused sometimes because one day it's okay if Kody rears at me and the next he gets yelled at for even thinking about it but it's all in the look in his eye. If he's doing it playfully and carefully, begging me to run with him, it's okay within established boundaries. (We do clicker training and rearing is one of the things he has a cue for.) But if he's got that "Make Me!" look in his eye or is getting pushy with my space or otherwise getting aggressive even with all four feet on the ground all bets are off and the Boss Mare comes out full-force until the hierarchy is reestablished. Kody knows better than to mess with me!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_biggrin.png

The stud colt I have is being introduced to free play but I'm very strict with him even though he's a sweetie. No rearing, no ear pinning, no pushiness of any kind is being allowed. He can run and buck but gets in trouble if he kicks my way even if he's at the opposite end of the arena. They're not dumb- they can learn what is and isn't acceptable! I'm also doing a lot more in-hand yielding work with him then I do with any of the others to keep him thinking about who the boss is.

I don't use Parelli (I have a particular aversion to any system with special tools and cutsie names) but it's certainly a good way for someone new to horses to be introduced to how to handle them. You might also check out the books "Dancing with Horses" and "Empowered Horses." Both are excellent.

Leia

Latest posts

Back