Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannonw

Reaction score
I have been watching my mare closely on her diet since she foaled at the end of May. She was plump to start with, but she feels like she is losing some weight. I upped her feed a little but thought about adding beet pulp to her diet as well.

How much beet pulp would be a good amount to start with? Also what is the beet pulp/water ratio and how long must I soak it for? She is currently getting about 1.5 pounds of Strategy twice a day (so total of 3 lbs a day) plus timothy hay.

I have noticed I am able to feel her backbone and hip bones pretty well. I can feel her ribs but I cannot see them. I know with her nursing that it takes a lot from her so I want to make sure she stays healthy and can keep her milk production up. Thanks!

I will be interested as well. I have a first time mum, also end of May, that has always been chunky and an easy keeper.

Now her hip bones are beginning to show and I have been feeding her a soaked mixture of beet pulp and oat pellet and some Krunch but am not seeing any improvement. She also is not getting worse but she needs something
default_no.gif

I would think starting with a small amount and upping it until you see a gain is the way to go. So a handful? Then up to a cup or so.

I usually started my beet pulp soaking when I fed the last feeding then when I want out to feed it was all soft. Harder when its warm out as it can go sour if left too long. If you use hot water it soaks it up much faster.

I imagine some alfalfa pellets actually might be better (and tastier) for a nursing mare. They can use the higher calcium. You can mix the two of them together. The alfalfa pellets soak up a bit faster-maybe a half hour using hot water. The beet pulp I would give an hour or more using hot.

This page is a great one to look at for info on beet pulp.

http://www.shady-acres.com/susan/beetpulp.shtml

Alfalfa pellets (high in calcium and minerals) with some soybean oil (pure fat calories) might help, too. The oil will soak into the pellets.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
Beet pulp is a pretty good source of calcium. About twice what grass hay has. (But still only 1/2 what alfalfa has).

Beet pulp is an aquired taste for most horses. As was suggested, start with just a handful mixed in their grain, then work up. I would suggest getting beet pulp with molassas if you are not feeding sweet feed as it will help your horse to aquire a taste for it faster.

Would not be out of line to work her up to as much as 1/2 large scoup of soaked pulp 2x times a day depending on her size and needs. Unless there are other issues, it usually puts weight on them pretty quickly.

Water ratio depends on the size of the pulp. For what I feed, it is almost 2 water to 1 pulp. You'll just need to experiment until you add just enough water that it soaks it all up w/out leaving any dry pulp. I add water when I start chores, and it is ready to feed just before I leave the barn. That is about an hour. In winter, I fix it in the AM for the PM and visa versa.

Thanks! I got some this afternoon (it did have some molasses in it) and tried her with it. At first she would not even try it but after she finished eating her grain she did eat a little of it. I am going to try to give her some more in the morning and see how she does.

It is definitely an acquired taste, which all my minis now have. I buy plain beet pulp pellets, and they all eat it soaked all winter long, it took them a few days the first time to decide to eat more than a bit or two, but now, most readily eat their share, a couple aren't as thrilled, but eat it and a couple want more after they are done with their share. [And, now even after summer time without, they readily go back to it in the fall.]

It's great for getting fluids into horses. I have a mare that won't drink much at shows, even if we bring home water for her. I replace most of her hay with LOTS of sloppy wet beet pulp mixed with her grain when we're at a show. She eats every bit of it, then licks the bucket clean. It does get all over her face though, like a little kid eating chocolate pudding.
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back