beet pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leigha

Reaction score
I've always givin this to my big horses so I know how much to start them with but how much should I start the mini's with. I'm feeding a mature breeding stallion. I say mature since I'm not sure of his actual age. He is on the small side but don't know his actual height (I'm thinking I should measure him tomorrow) and he is definantly under weight. He just got put by himself and is in a 60*120 grass pasture and get's approx. half a flake 3 times a day. I will include pictures tomorrow since I thought of it to late. I went ahead and gave him a bath late this afternoon and clipped him a bridle path. He's got such a thick mane and forlock he looked like a crazy man. Will finish clipping him tomorrow
default_wink.png

010-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have never had a problem giving it. They all seem to love it.

If they need it for weight gain we will give them 2 cups soaked with some corn oil added, and maybe some cob mix.

I feed a lot of beet pulp - when adding a new horse here I just give them the amount I want them to have sometimes they do not like it and find it an aquired taste but for the most part they eat what I give them. It is a VERY safe feed and is more in the fiber family then the grain family I do not build up slowly with my beet pulp.

My horses get 9-12 cups of soaked beet pulp a day.(which is about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of dry pellets) That is everyone from the 29 inch horses to the 38 inch horses - the smaller ones get very little grain added to that compared to the larger ones or hard keepers. It replaces an entire hay feeding and my horses only get hay in the morning.

Just a note it is not just for weight gain I feed it to maintain and for those that need to lose weight I increase their beet pulp and decrease their hay or grain works every time- all of my horses with the exception of our one tubbo are in show shape and could walk into the ring today with minimal conditioning

Last edited by a moderator:
We just started the beet pulp early this spring and since mine had never had it I started with a 1/2 cup twice a day and decreased their hay I am working on each one being adjusted for need but right now most have 2 cups twice a day and some only a cup but I have seen improvement in all of our horses. The fatties are tucking up and I am seeing what I would call a smoothing all over for all. We are still working on how much hay grain and beet pulp for each horse based on what I am seeing. I have just one out of 17 that absolutely hates it and takes all morning to eat it and of course she is the one that needs to lose weight the most. My stallion also dumps his but he does go back and eat it eventually.Ironically he is the son of the mare who hates it. I wonder sometimes if moms teach babies to be fussy eaters. They also are the only two in the barn who WONT eat apple flavored anything.

Latest posts

Back