Beet pulp?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
I found a mysterious bag of shredded beet pulp in my feed room today (I guess my mom bought it) and I was wondering how I should feed it? I used to have the pellets and I would add a scoop or two to their feet when it was fully soaked.

Should I replace some hay with beet pulp?

My horses get a couple scoops of trotter (about 3 cups in total) morning and night and a half a flake of hay

Yes, soak it the same you do with the pellets. My horses wouldnt eat the soaked pellets at all, but love the soaked shreds. I get the kind with no molasses. Not sure what 'trotter' is... but yes, your BP would replace some of the hay you feed.

If you like how your horses look, I wouldn't change your program. But you could replace some of their hay with beet pulp if you wanted. I highly recommend soaking it, though many others will say you don't have to. I had a horse choke on it twice (once dry, once wet but not completely soaked) and that was a lesson learner for me. He could eat everything else offered to him, had regular dental care, etc. It's also a great way to keep them hydrated so why not soak it.

I soak my shreds, i like them allot more then the pellets.

I first measure out each horses serving of the beet pulp and then soak each horses separate in coffee cans, i just think that is more accurate. I only soak mine for like 15 or so minutes and i always drain the water or scoop the beet pulp out by hand and mix it with their grain, my horses will not eat it if its soaking wet in there grain, they just kind of look at it in disgust if i leave to much water. My broodmares love drinking the slurpy water that is left over, i normally let them drink that, they love their beet pulp slurpys.

You probably could replace some hay with the beet pulp,,,i normally cut back on there hay a bit when i start them on the beet pulp.

My vet just told me that shreds have a lot more sugar in them than the pelleted kind do. Has anyone else heard this? I don't see why that would be the case? At any rate he said if the shreds are used, it's best to soak and then rinse before feeding to reduce the amount of sugar.

Andrea

I feed my babies 2 cups dry beet pulp soaked in 4 cups of hot water along with the other feed. I don't decreese anything when I feed this in the winter because it takes so much energy to stay warm. I had them cut back to 1 cup of beet pulp for a week or so and they started to get agressive about their feed. We increesed it and they are fine.They just really need that extra heat when the temps are in the 10's and teens. Oh, and I never rince or drain my beet pulp. The extra water is great for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. The bag says there is molasses mixed in and I really do not want them getting that much sugar so soaking and rinsing should help. They used to love their pelleted beet pulp so hopefully they'll like the shreds.

Hi Jess,

I would guess that in NH the added molasses would be a great benefit.

We have been feeding more of it this winter as it has been very cold here. We soak it in hot water along with some cob mix and alfalfa pellets. All the horses are happy getting it, but I think the nursing moms and the foals are especially appreciative.

We also feed this to our mares for the first few days after they foal. It really helps with passing their manure.

Latest posts

Back