beet pulp and alfalfa pellets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windhaven

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard that soaking beet pulp and alfalfa pellets together can cause liver damage?????

If so why?

I have not heard this before and someone just told me that is what they heard when I suggested they could to make it easier on them.

Would like to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks

That doesn't even make sense, as many senior feeds are made up of primarily beet pulp and alfalfa and senior pellets are often soaked before feeding (therefore they are soaked together). The only reason I can see there might be a problem is that both are high in calcium, but I don't know if that causes liver damage.

Unlikely. I ude both and know that the combo is excellent for weight gain!

Doesn't make sense, after all I assume a horse drinks water and if it does then the 2 will be soaked together in the body.

Dr Taylor

Well that is what I thought.

I couldn't imagine why it would but I thought I would get other opinions first, just in case I was missing something or some new studies have come up.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has to be a myth, you can get a feed that is Beet Pulp and Alfalfa pellets mixed- fed soaked as here in the UK we still appear to be living in the dark ages when it comes to Beet Pulp- but the feed companies still do their homework
default_yes.gif

Back