Bedding for my mare's foaling stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytwoladies

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first foal and I have been bedding with a straw like hay . but my mare keeps eating it! I havent been able to get real straw in my area what else can I use!normaly we use shaving but this is not a good foaling bedding help me please thanks 320 days soo anytime she has udder w/ milk/coloustum etc..

Bed with shavings on the bottom and nice hay on top.If she eats the hay it won't hurt her and it is much cheaper than a vet call.I've done it that way many times.Good luck and happy foaling.

I do, as Bevann.

I use shavings until I feel she is closing in on her foaling date.

Then use a layer of shavings with orchard grass hay on top so she can nest.

It's edible hay so if she eats it, no harm done, and when baby arrives it has

a nice soft place to lay. I use it for like a week after birth, in the stall,

but will still make an area outside for the baby to lay in for awhile,

as they sleep a lot when new.

We do the smae thing, shvings underneath and grass hay on top.

I found I didn't like straw, and they would "eat" that too. I would rather they

were on and ate grass hay.

Anne

Like everyone previously posted....a little bit of shavings on the bottom. And we keep a bale of soft grass hay just outside of the foaling stall. It gets spread either when a milk test strip says she's within a few hours or when she's in labor. A half bale tends to be enough.

We also keep a clean bed sheet handy with our foaling kit and when the mare lays down to push I tuck the sheet under her hind end and spread it out over the hay bedding.....if there's time! As soon as the foal is born and the umbilical cord has broken, we remove the soiled sheet, place the newborn on a dry section of hay, rake up the wet hay very quickly, and replace it with fresh dry hay. (I've written all this stuff on our website, in our "Health Page")

thank you all for that quick response I thought maybe she was eating too much!! just came in from the barn she is ssoo lovey tonught wants me to iitch her tail and mane not sure whats with that but I did stay a itch for awhile...cant wait .
default_wacko.png
ohnoes.jpg
default_yes.gif

how exciting!! my girl has straw bedding she doesn't touch it, but I think the other info that you have got is very helpful... I just wanted to add that I hope she foals really well and that you get the little foal that your after
default_smile.png

Ohhh, back rubs and itchies are part and parcel of what these mares expect, the closer they get.

Great bonding time and you can talk to the baby at the same time.... :)

I use paper bedding, which I just LOVE!!! It is VERY absorbent and does not cut or poke newborns eyes, does not go up their nose, chocking them. It is also very easy to clean up. Sure wish I could find a supplier in Florida when I move there!!

wow! really my hubby use it for his dairy farm (Paper bedding)

I use paper bedding, which I just LOVE!!! It is VERY absorbent and does not cut or poke newborns eyes, does not go up their nose, chocking them. It is also very easy to clean up. Sure wish I could find a supplier in Florida when I move there!!

Hello it's me again As I was making my rounds last night ! I noticed that my mare has kinda softer poops !! her due date is 8/5/11 but vet said to start the watch on 7-4-11 this mare came to me bred unsure of dates but beleive it was around the last wk of aug 2010 . At this point we have udder with milk big belly (but not huge) the person we got her from said she has foaled before. But I have a feeling they dont know much about it !any info you can give me would be great!! oohhh yes can someone explain what jelly feeling in the rear means or how do you check for this.I think I know but not sure soo I'll ask

PS I should tell you when she came to me she was soo affraid of people now she gets alittle scare! but once I reasurre her she ok all's good! she likes her vet too! soo the lovey dovey think is really been fun for me. her too I'm sure!

getting really excited

Filly or colt

color or colors

I dont care

JUST A HEALTHY MOM AND FOAL IS WHAT I WANT

Hi, just want to say that your vet is correct and you should be watching your girl very closely from now on. You need to be with her when she foals in case she needs assistance.

If you have time, I suggest you 'wade' your way through the last 10 pages of Cassie's topic 'mare ready to foal', and Little Ribbie's topic 'Peanut now on marestare', lots of discussions about foaling mares going on, useful info too, as folk around the world are watching the cams for these two mares. Join in and ask any questions, however silly they may seem - we are a friendly bunch and would welcome another 'watcher' to chat with!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Thank you Anna I will do thats

Hi, just want to say that your vet is correct and you should be watching your girl very closely from now on. You need to be with her when she foals in case she needs assistance.

If you have time, I suggest you 'wade' your way through the last 10 pages of Cassie's topic 'mare ready to foal', and Little Ribbie's topic 'Peanut now on marestare', lots of discussions about foaling mares going on, useful info too, as folk around the world are watching the cams for these two mares. Join in and ask any questions, however silly they may seem - we are a friendly bunch and would welcome another 'watcher' to chat with!
default_yes.gif

Anna

Yes please do join us, we have lots of fun and chat pregnant horsey stuff. The jelly butt refers to the area above and around the tail which goes very soft and jelly like to touch when near to birth, some mares get what we ( very kindly) call a turpido butt as their back end just slopes away.

yes come n join our conversation
default_smile.png
I don't mind what ever questions you put on my post
default_smile.png
I always put heaps of questions on other peoples posts LOL Suzie is my first mare to have a foal, and like you I have NO idea when she was bred, she is on marestare as well, so if you want to have a peek of her your more than welcome
default_smile.png

can you put pics up? the girls will tell you that I love pics hehe love seeing how other mares are looking and what they are doing.

Peanutss cam is down at the moment, but if you want to watch a mini giving birth she is the one to watch, she is looking real close, and we thought the last two nights she would have the foal, but alas, we think she is waiting on Diane ( castle Rock Miniatures) so is my girl, Diane had a stern talking to before she left LOL and told them they weren't allowed to foal till she came back, don't know why Diane is the only one our girls will listen to LOL oh well

default_saludando.gif
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back