Beavercreek CDE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
Well, I know it isn't like me to hold back on y'alls, but I wanted to get my photos before writing. I finally got to go to my first CDE for this year last weekend.

At the beginning of the year, I was planning on a full slate of competitions; starting with Happ's in June, and running through the Happ's Driving Trials Twice in September. Life has a way of derailing plans, doesn't it? I have had to take custody of my 18 month old granddaughter and that has brought to me a huge lifestyle change. Not to mention the attendant court appearances, etc. At any rate, that certainly did take the front and center stage of my life, and everything else fell by the wayside, pretty much.

I cancelled out on Happ's and Inavale, and very nearly cancelled out on this one too. I managed to pull myself together and get on the road a week ago Friday, after waffling back and forth all day about whether I should REALLY go or not. The baby was taken care of, but I just felt, well, NERVOUS about leaving. I forced myself at last, and the journey began. It took me 3 hours to get to Olympia from Monroe, a drive that should normally take 1-1/2 hours. The traffic was awful! Since I had already left so late, I was really worried. Things cleared up after Olympia, and I continued on. 10:30 p.m. and I finally saw the big sign for the Lazy S Lumber Mill and made my turn...1/4 mile up found me at a dead end with no turnaround.
default_new_shocked.gif
OK, I had to back ALL the way down that road, in pitch black, with no backup lights. HOW MUCH FUN WAS THAT???
default_wacko.png
I finally made it to the camp ground where I was met by Leia (HobbyHorse23). After some interesting maneuvering and a truck that was not being too cooperative, I more or less wedged in to the camp site. Leia and I set up the tent and I crashed out sometime after 1 a.m. My alarm went off at 4:45, but did I wake up??? No! Apparently Leia turned it off and threw it at me because the next time it went off at 5:30 or 6, it was in my sleeping bag. LOL Polished up the brass and generally cleaned up my stuff, then off to vet check and walking the cones course.

My biggest bugaboo with Ally has been TENSION. Ally is wrapped pretty tight, she is a hot tamale and it takes a lot of effort to get her relaxed. I gave myself plenty of warmup time before dressage, and it became apparent that the lessons I took with Lisa Eckhardt just before they left for the summer really paid off. Ally was walking flat-footed, no jigging, and could actually hold a halt. We only worked on warming up at a very slow and relaxing gait. There were 7 in my division, and after finishing our best dressage test to date, Ally and I stood in 3rd. Pretty exciting stuff, as far as I was concerned! Off we went to the cones course, which Ally was brilliant at! I mean it! She just flowed through that course, it was wonderful and felt like a dance. We cantered between obstacles when space dictated, she transitioned easily between gaits on command and it was a big wow for me! When the scores were finally posted late in the afternoon, I saw how well we really had done, because that cones run had moved us into first place. FIRST PLACE!!!! I was over the moon, and I am not kidding!!!

That night was very comfortable in the tent and I slept very well. Ally and I were not scheduled for our marathon until just about noon, so I got to sleep in a little. I got up in time to help Leia and Kody at the vet check and take some photos of them during their marathon run. Then I returned to camp and hitched up. We went to the start of section A, and Ally amped up to the max! She knew what was coming. She is like that barrel horse or cow horse just quivering at the gate. Every time someone would start and they did the countdown she started piaffing and blowing. At last it was our turn, and the first kilometer was really quite something as she fought me the whole way. She was also scared of the Christmas trees we were driving through.
default_rolleyes.gif
We finally got our act together about the 1k mark, and started rolling in one heck of a grand road trot. We arrived in to the 1st vet check in good condition.

Section E, the hazards section, was incredible! I loved it! The obstacles were fun, and the scenery was amazing. We went through big old forest, more Christmas trees, fields checkered with wildflowers, three times through a nice little creek, and all of it with peeps at the gorgeous mountains we are blessed with in this part of the world. In the past Ally and I have had our difficulties with crossing water. Not this time. The girl just plowed right in. She dropped her face into the water as we passed through and drank deeply. GOOD GIRL!!! There were several long and steep hills, one that we had to gallop up at full tilt to keep our momentum. Oh what fun! There really aren't enough superlatives to explain how much I enjoyed it.

At one point near the end I ALMOST eliminated myself when I veered from the path I had decided on the previous afternoon on the walkthrough. I was just confused and lost at that moment. I steered Ally through gate B before we had passed gate A. As I realized my mistake, I hollered out a big "WHOA," and she screeched to a halt. Just in the nick of time! As long as our axles don't pass through the gate, we are still good. I carefully backed and swung her around and we were back on track. Phew!

We finished in good time...too good as it happened. We had a very slow speed finish as we struggled to come in on the window with no time penalties. Good thing she knows a bit about 1/2 steps. She was such a good girl! We finished marathon with no time or obstacle penalties. Which put us in first! FIRST! WE WON!!!!!

At the awards ceremony we were regaled with awards, including best single training level VSE, best overall training level VSE, and also won the Dash Award which gives a prize of a beautiful driving halter to the training level VSE, pony, or horse that comes in closest to the optimum time in the marathon. I was just beside myself with happiness!

If you are on the fence about trying Combined Driving, I highly encourage it! It is just the best fun, being out in the outdoors with friends and horses, showing the skills you have developed as a team together.

I put together a very short slideshow of photos from the event, I think it shows a little of the fun we had there!

I knew there was a reason I checked in here so late! Way to go, Amy and Ally!

I've been going through our dressage test, get ready for our first Driving Trial coming up in September, and after reading your report I'm just about as amped as Ally! (Mingus is Mr. Cool, of course...)

Could you perhaps post some of the photos individually? For the time being, I can't access YouTube, and I really want to see at least a few photos...

Congratulations!

I haven't taken the time to reply to your e=mail, but this one everyone can see......................WAY TO GO AMY AND ALLY................................THAT IS AWESOME

Congratulations and thanks for posting the great pictures!! I do want to try that someday.

Good job Amy. Ally looks so good! She is very muscled up. Thanks for a good description and pictures of your event. It is wonderful to be able to share in your excitement.

Diane in OR

There's my girl!!

ClickMini said:
Leia and I set up the tent and I crashed out sometime after 1 a.m. My alarm went off at 4:45, but did I wake up??? No! Apparently Leia turned it off and threw it at me because the next time it went off at 5:30 or 6, it was in my sleeping bag. LOL
Hey now, I was afraid it was waking up all our neighbors who DIDN'T have to get up at 4:30AM! Thin tent walls, don'tcha know? :DOH! Hehehe. I reset it for half an hour later and "gently pitched" it at you, hoping you'd hear it if it was in the sleeping bag with you.
default_whistling.gif
I was too wide awake to go back to sleep at that point so I just dozed and listened to Ally until it went off again.

ClickMini said:
My biggest bugaboo with Ally has been TENSION. Ally is wrapped pretty tight, she is a hot tamale and it takes a lot of effort to get her relaxed. I gave myself plenty of warmup time before dressage, and it became apparent that the lessons I took with Lisa Eckhardt just before they left for the summer really paid off. Ally was walking flat-footed, no jigging, and could actually hold a halt. We only worked on warming up at a very slow and relaxing gait. There were 7 in my division, and after finishing our best dressage test to date, Ally and I stood in 3rd. Pretty exciting stuff, as far as I was concerned! Off we went to the cones course, which Ally was brilliant at! I mean it! She just flowed through that course, it was wonderful and felt like a dance. We cantered between obstacles when space dictated, she transitioned easily between gaits on command and it was a big wow for me! When the scores were finally posted late in the afternoon, I saw how well we really had done, because that cones run had moved us into first place. FIRST PLACE!!!! I was over the moon, and I am not kidding!!!
You did FANTASTIC, Miz Amy.
default_aktion033.gif
I've been checking this board every day, unable to believe that you wouldn't have posted at the first opportunity.
default_biggrin.png
Ally really came together for you and showed what she's capable of and you did a great job too. What I really love about this sport is the way drivers can measure themselves against past performance and the test itself long before the scores are posted. You and I were both solidly satisfied with our goes as we walked back to the trailer and to me that's worth more than gold. Having it confirmed in the placing is just icing on the cake!

You did forget one more kudo though...Everybody, Amy got a 9 on her collective driver remarks from World Pairs Champion Lisa Singer!!! What a high.
default_aktion033.gif

ClickMini said:
We finished in good time...too good as it happened. We had a very slow speed finish as we struggled to come in on the window with no time penalties. Good thing she knows a bit about 1/2 steps.
Yes, and the judge very nearly nailed you for those half-steps!
default_shutup.gif
Stopping in between strides is grounds for elimination. Good thing it was actually a three minute window and not the two you thought it was. :DOH! Next time you won't have to hold her back quite so much at the end.

ClickMini said:
I put together a very short slideshow of photos from the event, I think it shows a little of the fun we had there!

That's a great slide show Amy, definitely put the photos up individually. Two of them are excellent examples of how Ally now works down to the bit which is what we were missing on your last "Then and Now" photo post. She looks amazing!

I was SO HAPPY to see you there and doing so well. You deserved every bit of the loot you got and it was priceless to see you smiling and having fun again.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Can't wait 'til next time!

Leia

OK, I will post some of the pics here, the first two are my special favorites. One of my awards was two frames, a 4x6 and a 5x7, and I get to pic one of the photos from the professional ones to have a print made. These are my two that I am deciding between:

bc_dressage.jpg

bc_woods2.jpg

Here is the camp that Leia and I stayed in:

bc_camp.jpg

A beautiful meadow of flowers we drove through:

bc_marathon_flowers.jpg

I love this picture of Ally:

bc_marathon_trail.jpg

Here we are in the middle of our magnificent cones run:

bc_cones.jpg

And the final result:

bc_ribbons.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your very nice comments for Ally and I. :D Gotta run to take care of Isabelle, what a lifestyle changer this little detour has been!
default_wacko.png
She is delightful, but I sure don't have the energy I did as a 25 year old!!!

Thanks Leia for your input. I am considering having that score framed! My gosh I felt proud of that! And of course you omitted the fact that you got a PERFECT 10 on your driver score!!! I bow to you my friend! I was watching some youtube vids of you and Kody last night and he is really something.
default_wub.png

Leia,

What does this mean?

"Amy got a 9 on her collective driver remarks"

I do know who Lisa Singer is, but please explain "collective driver remarks".

Diane in OR

ClickMini said:
I love this picture of Ally:
bc_marathon_trail.jpg
That was one of my favorites, the other one was at the beginning of the video right before the green shot of you trotting into Hazard 1. Can you post that shot? She was using her topline so correctly!

ClickMini said:
And of course you omitted the fact that you got a PERFECT 10 on your driver score!!! I bow to you my friend! I was watching some youtube vids of you and Kody last night and he is really something.
default_wub.png
Well, of course I omitted it! This is YOUR post, not mine! *LOL* I got my professional photos yesterday so will be doing my writeup soon. My sole regret about this season so far is that there's been no one to take my usual dressage videos so not only don't I have anything to put up on YouTube but I can't even tell how much we've really improved.
default_no.gif
I do an awful lot of self-correction by watching videos of my performances so I'm feeling a bit handicapped right now.

Minxiesmom said:
Leia, what does this mean?
"Amy got a 9 on her collective driver remarks"

I do know who Lisa Singer is, but please explain "collective driver remarks".
Each movement of an individual dressage test is scored 1 through 10, then at the bottom of the test there's something called "Collective Remarks" where you're scored on overall impression for things like gaits, impulsion, submission, and driver. Amy got a "9" under Driver from Lisa Singer! That's really awesome. Getting an 8 on anything is already an achievement and 9's are very difficult. I've only gotten one 9 in my life and that was on a nearly perfect centerline entrance last year. To get it (or yes, a 10
default_blush.png
) on Collectives is really fantastic. Collective scores are all doubled just like the free walk or lengthened walk scores are so they're very important to your final score.

Leia

Ah, the munchkin is down for a nap.

Leia, are you talking about this one?

bc_marathon_obs1b.jpg

Here is another where she is really using her belly muscles, swinging and light through her back, excellent overtrack, and she is really listening to me. I think she was just fab through that whole marathon section! It was just the best fun!

bc_marathon_obs3.jpg

Congrats on a great job!
default_aktion033.gif

I have heard that some of the CDEs are now having the VSE's do the same course as the big horses, without shortening it. How did they do it at this CDE?

Those are both nice ones Amy but not the one I was thinking of. Let me go watch the video again....

babygoose said:
I have heard that some of the CDEs are now having the VSE's do the same course as the big horses, without shortening it. How did they do it at this CDE?
Beavercreek is the only event in the NW that did not immediately switch to having the minis do the full courses as soon as the option was available last year. We begged and pleaded and complained and this year they finally let us go play with the big guys. Every one of the minis came in early and barely sweated despite the toughest course in a three-state area that exhausts even the big horses!
default_aktion033.gif
We definitely proved we can do it.

Leia

[SIZE=12pt]Wow Amy!
default_aktion033.gif
[/SIZE]

I loved reading about your write up, & congratulations!
default_laugh.png

Ally looks amazing,
default_wub.png
& it really helps to see her progress,
default_wink.png

for those of us that train that way, but don't compete.
default_yes.gif

Well Leia, I do agree that Ally shows a lot of improvement in that photo as well. What I like about all of these as opposed to past photos is that she is definitely reaching toward the contact (open mouth could mean submission or bit acceptance issues, we are definitely still working on these). The difference you can plainly see here is that she is very active through stifle and hock, and there is very little shortening of her neck. Her poll is the highest point. Here is one of the pictures from March, to show the difference. Here she is showing a shortened neck, the glands where her neck meets the jawline are popping out, the hind end is blocked with little activity, and the croup is still high.

cabinfever_trot1.jpg

As opposed to here, where she is clearly stretching through her neck with a more open throatlatch, her hind is actively coming through, and her croup has dropped with the increased engagement. It is not the very best picture because we are beginning to turn. But I think it can help people who are trying to educate their eyes a bit.

bc_cones.jpg

Latest posts

Back