beauceron dogs - or ridgebacks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winchester Farms

Reaction score
im trying to be the responsible dog owner and do as much research about breeds of dogs before i buy one around november or later. i have owned a pitbull and think they are the best dogs, however my apartment complex doesnt allow pits, or dobbies (and other breeds) both of which i probably would have gotten. i found the breed the beauceron and rhodesian ridgeback. has anyone ever owned one? let me know what you think. thanks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you REALLY know the bloodlines I would advise against a Ridgeback.

They can be very nasty dogs, believe me.

Beaucerons, because they are not popular and have not been over bred, still have a pretty stable temperament.

They are herding/droving dogs, like Rottweilers, are easy to train and very loyal.

They will also look like Mongrels to the average person, so if you are a bit "snobby" about pedigree, they are not for you!!

http://www.puppypoopy.com/beauceron1.html

My hubby used to show Rhodesian Ridgebacks...they have since passed on, we will not have another.

We still have Ridgeback friends at the shows.

I wouldn't say they are a particularly nasty breed, you have to remember individuals from ANY breed can be nasty. BUT, they are a LOT of dog!! They were originally bred to hunt lions...before you decide on any breed, research what their original purpose was and what they are used for. They should possess the instincts to do that job, and that should help you determine if that is a breed that is suitable for your personality or lifestyle.

I don't know anything about Beaucerons...sorry.

Shelley

Back