Barracuda Hoof Trimmers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JourneysEnd

Reaction score
After reading the glowing reviews on the Barracuda Trimmers, I ordered a pair.

After the first horse, I put them back in the bag and got my GE nippers out.
default_new_shocked.gif

Those of you that have them, do yours cut all the way through the hoof?

Mine cut into it but don't

cut through. I have to twist to cut through the hoof wall, this is not good.

I'm hoping there's just something wrong with my trimmers.

I was really hopeful about them.

They did cut through the plastic pads easier than conventional nippers, but there again didn't cut all the

way through. I had to use my knife to finish.

Is it just me ?
default_wacko.png

Huh they look pretty light weight. I have never heard of them until this post, this however is the trimmers I was looking at:

http://www.budnippers.com/

They are also compound nippers. Look a bit stronger in build than the Barracuda.

Huh they look pretty light weight. I have never heard of them until this post, this however is the trimmers I was looking at:

http://www.budnippers.com/

They are also compound nippers. Look a bit stronger in build than the Barracuda.
Did you check the price out on them?
default_new_shocked.gif

You can buy GE Forge for a lot less than that and you don't need the heavy duty with minis.

They do look interesting, but I'd have to try a pair out before paying that much.

I noticed when our nippers arrived that they were not completely closed (cutting edges touching).

That is to ensure that the edges do not dull or get chipped during mailing.

You will have to adjust them so that they will close completely when you are trimming.

There is a set screw on the handle in front of the spring. You can turn that slightly until your blades will touch and complete a cut.

Try that and see if that helps.

Happy New Year!!

Debbie/PrimeDesign

They cut just fine after that. Set the blades so that they barely touch each other.

Let us know how that works for you.

Debbie/PrimeDesign

Ours cut fantastic and my farrier hubby says he will never go back to a conventional nippers again! Have you tried adjusting the blades yet? That should help. We didn't have to adjust ours but yours might be set just a bit too far apart. Ours are barely a centimeter apart. Hope this works for you as they truly are awesome.

When these were first conceived mini horses were the furthest from the mind of the designer.

i first found them when i bought a package deal from a co-partner of the business, i bought his daughters barrel horse and 2 others including his entire tack room. I told him i was a farrier and he said to try them. i used them on some of my clients horses in SD and loved them. When i moved down here and started to do minis it just clicked since i have small hands and sometimes gripping problems due to a pinched nerve in my neck.

that and the one handed use i couldnt have asked for a better way to do as many head as Dan and I do.

we do carry conventional nippers with us but most of the time they are still in the package.

If you have any questions on them let me know and i can help you

dawn

I went to their home site - there is no price listd, so how much do these run? If it is just an adjustment and then they work - I am all for making trimming easier! LOL! I have been looking at the Bud nippers for about a year, I haven't bought a pair yet. Yes I think they are expensive, but that was the only compound trimmers I have seen.

Thanks!

You can order by contacting them via their website. Brenda will most likely be the one to respond. Her husband is creater of these with his partner. They are $95. plus shipping and the replacement blades are $20. There are different type blades available for different jobs other than hoof trimming too.

Here are two video clips I posted when we first got ours. My hubby's hand was crushed in 1978 so he only has 30% strength and dexterity in that hand. He can easily use them one handed. These videos are very homemade that I did on my still digital camera for our own record so please excuse the poor quality. They are of the first time he used them. He felt all thumbs at first because they are different, but by the second horse he had it down pat. It is easier for him to hold them the reverse of what the photo on the website shows. They also are a dream for black hoofs and fine tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=18pt]I have found them easier to hold backwards too!
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Adjusting the set screw made all the difference.

They are still very awkward to use and a little large for my grip, but at least they cut now.

I did keep going back to the GE's as I'm used to them but I'm not nearly as unhappy with the Barracuda now that they cut.

Thanks to whoever sent the email on the set screw.
default_aktion033.gif

As far as using them backwards, I'm not sure which way is which so I've used them both ways.
default_wacko.png

They are $95. plus shipping and the replacement blades are $20.
Just wanted to add...shipping is $25 in case anyone is curious. At least that is what it was...maybe it has changed a little now, I am not sure, but that is what it was a couple months ago anyway.
default_yes.gif

Hey Dawn!
default_saludando.gif
Thanks so much for the phone call .....It was nice of you to go out of your way to talk to me about the Barracuda nippers. You can tell your friend I LOVE mine!
default_yes.gif

Can someone tell us what is the website to order from?

You can order by contacting them via their website. Brenda will most likely be the one to respond. Her husband is creater of these with his partner. They are $95. plus shipping and the replacement blades are $20. There are different type blades available for different jobs other than hoof trimming too.

Here are two video clips I posted when we first got ours. My hubby's hand was crushed in 1978 so he only has 30% strength and dexterity in that hand. He can easily use them one handed. These videos are very homemade that I did on my still digital camera for our own record so please excuse the poor quality. They are of the first time he used them. He felt all thumbs at first because they are different, but by the second horse he had it down pat. It is easier for him to hold them the reverse of what the photo on the website shows. They also are a dream for black hoofs and fine tuning.

Latest posts

Back