barn lights and winter blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaleo

Reaction score
When I frist got my mini I kept the light on in his stall to keep him calm but now I can't turn the it off with out him pitching a fit. He is happy as a clam if I leave it on. The light is not vary bright. Will it hurt to just live it on?

Second Question

The night time temps have started to drop below 35 at night so I went out and bought a blanket for him. He is still a bit underweight but his fur is thick. What is the highest temp that he can still wear it? Or rather how low should the temp drop befor I put it on him. This is the blanket I got. It is a vary nice blanket. I got a better deal on it at my local feed store.

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/5000/PTM625

Thanks Bella
default_saludando.gif

If he seems comfortable I wouldn't put a blanket on him. If he's shivering then blanket, but otherwise if he has fur and isn't horribly underweight I'd leave him be.

Is he alone at night? I don't think it would hurt to leave it on, but I don't leave any lights on for any of my horses unless I have them under camera.

He is all alone out there save for my nighbors cows that some times come it at night.

I wouldn't blanket either unless he is shivering. The best time to see that is between 1 and 4 in the morning which means if you think he will be cold, you will need to check during that time to be sure.

As for the light. I see no reason to not have it on. If you wanted to get it turned off, I would slowly make the light less by putting smaller light bulbs in until he is down to possibly a night light. Many children need a night light to feel safe.
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If he has a thick haircoat, skip the blanket. The coat will fluff up and insulate him, so to speak. So, by putting a blanket on him, you are preventing the hair from doing it's natural job.

If the winters there are just horrid, or he is shivering, as mentioned in the above posts, then it's time to blanket. In a perfect world, you will have a slinky, a sheet, a midweight blanket, and a heavy blanket. You will also have a neck cover or a hood. You rotate these blankets as the weather dictates.

If your guy is really active in his stall or spends a lot of time outside, get turnout versions of these blankets, which will better allow for shoulder movement, because they have pleats at the shoulders, without rubbing the hair off of his shoulders. If you intend to show him in hand (this is just my personal perference), don't get one with a tail cover. I'm sure some will argue with me, but I feel that this discourages the horse to be expressive with his tail. That lack of expression may continue into the spring and summer months when you need him to use his tail in the ring. Again, JMHO.

Oh! As for the lights on in the barn, you are 'tricking' his system into thinking it's spring or fall. This is often done to help show horses maintain their coats through the winter or in some cases cause mares to cycle earlier in the year. This would lead me to believe that your guy may possibly have a shorter than necessary haircoat and blanketing may be warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the lights on in the barn, you are 'tricking' his system into thinking it's spring or fall. This is often done to help show horses maintain their coats through the winter or in some cases cause mares to cycle earlier in the year. This would lead me to believe that your guy may possibly have a shorter than necessary haircoat and blanketing may be warranted.
I was going to mention this too...regarding the lighting.

A couple of questions...

Is your horse an appaloosa? (there is a 'night blindness' issue associated with some appy patterns.)

Are you turning off the light after it's dark outside? This upsets some horses as their eyes don't get to adjust to a gradual light change. this happens often with new foals if you turn the light out and suddnely plunge them into total darkness. They panic. As horses get older and secure in their surroundings it generaly becomes less of a problem. You might try having no lights on in the afternoon and let darkness come slowly & naturally. See if that makes a difference.

Charlotte

Charlotte. Cupid is a red pinto.

Question ? How long should his hair be to be "thick". He is my frist so I have no clue. I'll try to post some pic's latter.

In general. I don't blanket unless the horse in REALLY THIN or has been shaved for a late show. I would skip his blankie until sub zero's unless he is all up under himself and shivering. I really liked the idea of using a lighter weight blanket first.

I generally don't leave lights on unless the cam needs to be on, because as stated above it will trick him into spring/fall mode. But I do keep little nite lights in each stall. So dim they just help when you go out a midnight to check everybody. See it you can get a few of those, they wont trick him and are super cheap and available at Wall Mart.
default_wink.png

Charlotte. Cupid is a red pinto.
Question ? How long should his hair be to be "thick". He is my frist so I have no clue. I'll try to post some pic's latter.

A 'thick' haircoat doesn't have to be long, per se. It has to be dense. If the density of his coat is good (do you notice him to be a bit more 'fluffy' when it's cold? That is the density of the haircoat acting as insulation), then you should be fine without a blanket. If he isn't quite as thick coated, then consider blanketing. I'm a die-hard blanketer, as opposed to some here on the board. However, with Nationals so late in the year, my guys were usually body clipped. That made having a nice selection of blankets mandatory.

Latest posts

Back