Clipping just for fall outings

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxane Martin

Reaction score
Seeking clipping hints from those who keep their driving minis outside in winter.

Background--Driving mini, Teddy, is now starting to shed out summer coat and grow in winter coat, although not bad (we live in NE PA). I drive up through early-mid Oct and then not again until spring. In the past I have done a light trace-type clip, taking off underside of neck, front of chest, under all belly and maybe under tail for inner haunches. I did clip Sept 1st last year. Last year he still got winter undercoat in those areas but just not the outer guard hairs. He stays outside in winter with run-in access (along with 4 others). Did not get cold or shiver. I do not blanket unless I see shivering as I believe that with good haircoat, plenty of hay and good wind block, this follows the natural evolution of these horses, especially minis. All kept in good body flesh.

I have shows August 30 (this Sunday), September 20, 27, and early-mid October. I'd like to clip some to make it easier on Teddy, since temps in hi 80s (and humid) are predicted for this Sunday's show, and can be warm in Sept as well. But yet I still want him to have good winter coat. I'm thinking of just doing under neck, chest and under belly where girth goes--not going all the way under belly.

Should I have started this clip earlier in the year?

Comments?

All depends on temperatures and how much maintenance you want to deal with. I'm in central VA and I just clipped my mare last week so I could take some pictures. I wouldn't do a full clip later than early September if you don't want to worry about blanketing. I have a show mid-November and I'll probably do a head clip with a touch up trim on legs. I've done it before and my mare doesn't seem to notice or get too cold. It will grow back quickly. I think a trace clip like you mentioned would be fine.

Just a note--mine are out 24/7 and we rarely blanket. Only to keep clean for show or if they are wet and shivering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually do a trace clip because my boys get worked pretty good during the winter and tend to sweat up faster with a lot of hair and then get tired quicker bc they are so hot. After I started doing the trace clip they seemed a lot more happier

Not usually, but did depend on the weather!

During a REALLY bad, windy, heavy snowstorm - I opened up the double barn doors and in an area that was about 3 stalls worth 14x14 (x3) - all 10 horses(full size arabs down to 36" shetland) and ponies crowded in..., 1/2 of them were trace clipped. That year - hadn't replaced worn out blankets and as long as we allowed them into that section of the barn like that, they were all fine.

BUT I'm in NC. I've had more problems with rainrot/fungus than with cold (and it gets down into the single digits here!).

Latest posts

Back