Barn Dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
The only thing I've dreaded about having our horses is the absolute positive fact that there will be mice in the barn. I found them today. I despise and loathe these little gray creatures. We have no cats, but we do have a miniature Dachshund. She has proven she can catch mice, so I put her in the tack room.

She had the first one within 20 minutes! I think #2 was killed when I moved one of the feed cans out of her way about 90 minutes later.

In honor of her accomplishment, I thought I'd share the picture I shot of her in the barn this afternoon. Her name is Hermione.

IMG_2125edited24x6-1.jpg

Oh, she's darling!
default_wub.png
Earns her keep too!

I'm not fond of mice either, hence our two barn cats. I rarely see a *live* mouse.
default_biggrin.png

Mice FREAK ME OUT!!! Luckily I haven't seen any,my sweet barn kitty must be doing her job. In the winter she has a heated waterer and heated bed,she's a pampered barn cat
default_wub.png
. Great job Hermione!!!

My MILs Doxie is heck on mice and knows when there is a mouse in the house or where ever they shouldn't be.

LOL we have a wire haired doxie that catches mice then loves them! She will lick them and watch them until they run and then my cow dog will grab and kill them. Then the doxie goes back and can't figure out what happened to them.

Great job - you are not alone in your feelings to the little grey creatures... blah - cats don't seem to live long around here - too many large dogs that are not fenced in (they have a 'home') they just don't stay.

But my Boston has become a great little mouse killer - drives me a little batty in that I no longer put out any decon anywhere from risk of 2ndary issues.

Last week 1st time had one come up thru the air vent to the A/C running under the house - I didn't even have time to really freak trying to figure out how to get rid of it... Remington was up and had her killed within 60 sec - and I know it was a she as there was an extra little body on the floor (not fully developed... no idea but I'm guessing she aborted it in an attempt to live)

shutter - ick - but GOOD DOG!!

Very very good dogs!!

I haven't seen any new ones this week. But my husband found another nest in a tarp that was outside of the fence area but next to our barn. It seems obvious we got "mama" on Sunday. I'm sure we're not done by a long shot though...much more winter to come yet!

My min pin is a mouser, she's killed 2 in the house a few month back.......caught her trying to dig up a mole, too
default_rolleyes.gif
My barn cats do wonders in the barn and I let one in the garage/under house on occassion.

Another thing she freaks over is a fly in the house. Yep, Molly catches them on occassion, too. These little dogs are great "little" hunters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back