Barbie had her foal yesterday!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
We named him Rosco. He is such a little pistol. I can't believe how quick they are up and nursing, walking, and bucking too :lol: it is the cutest thing to watch. Barbie is such a good mommy, she was not feeling good at all and was down alot, but when he would start to nuzzle around her to nurse, she would get up everytime and let him nurse and back down again when he was done. Someone mentioned he was a blue roan pinto. I am not good on colors. I wanted to post some pictures, but I am having a bit of trouble. I'll figure it out soon and share. He is too cute and has blue eyes like his mommy.

We had a bit of a scare with Barbie and the vet had to come back out again, but she is fine now. I was wondering if you folks had some time to share your experiences about laxed tendons and the do's and don'ts or point me in the right direction? I have two opinions now and one says confine the foal and the other says let them out to exersize the legs???

I also have been advised to feed the mare her hay, but clean it up so the foal can't have any of it and to keep him off any grass until he is much older for fear of impaction? He said they have had 2 already last month that had to have surgery and then died. Sounds a bit scary. So I would be interested to hear any of your experiences about that as well.

I can't wait to post some pictures. I am sure I will figure the picture thing out soon. Thanks for sharing any experiences you may have had
default_yes.gif
:

Smiles, Amy

Hope these work :bgrin

IMG_1378.jpg

100_0797.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cute! Hooray, he FINALLY arrived! *LOL*

Lax tendons: My vet says let 'em out! They will often resolve within 24 hours, and most often before a week is gone, you won't ever know they were rubbery looking.

Also, have your farrier look him over at a couple of weeks of age. Sometimes the little toes get curled up as the new hoof dries and pinches forward, the heels tend to contract and it's easier managed more often than to deal with it later as it gets more hard and the leg begins to mature. I usually have my babies trimmed at anywhere from two weeks to four weeks of age.

hay: depends on the hay, but if you have a good quality, soft-stemmed (we get Orchard Grass and if you're near Kipert's in Olympia area, they have the hay I'm talking about) hay, it should be fine, and grass is perfect for them, IME/my vet's opinion.

I have NEVER had a foal (or any other horse colic due to impaction on hay/grass/hair, etc.). My foals have access to all that the dam does from day one. I cannot keep the hay put up while I'm not there, simply because that would mean I had to sit with the horses for several hours a day to make sure the mom didn't turn into a stick (I'd love to, but I have other responsibilities!).

I would be afraid that the baby would find something truly inappropriate to eat if they didn't have hay or grass. My bigger fear is loose hair and so I groom my dams very often if they are in a shedding phase, and many here clip the flank/belly/stifle areas to keep the baby from ingesting so much hair when they nurse and explore mom.

Your colt is beautiful and he does indeed look to have blue eyes.
default_smile.png
He appears to be a black pinto. Baby coats are deceptive, but black is often born a shade of blue-grey and/or tannish grey.

Great job I bet Maddie is over the moon!

Liz M.

We just love him and yes Maddy is, actually she is sleeping out there with them right now. I am still up watching the monitor and Maddy is fast asleep and Rosco is truly bothering Barbie to death. She is lying down trying to sleep and he is just pestering away. She is such a good mom.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a cutie he is! Love those blue eyes!
default_wub.png
: Congratulations! :aktion033:

[SIZE=18pt] :aktion033: Congratulations! :aktion033: I love his markings and his blue eyes!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:
[/SIZE]

Bill

:new_shocked: What a Looker ! He's got the cutest little face.

Linda killion

When we have lax tendons, we confine the mare and foal and work the foal up to being out for longer and longer periods of time to allow them to strengthen without overdoing it.

He's a looker!!

Very cute! Hooray, he FINALLY arrived! *LOL*

Lax tendons: My vet says let 'em out! They will often resolve within 24 hours, and most often before a week is gone, you won't ever know they were rubbery looking.

Also, have your farrier look him over at a couple of weeks of age. Sometimes the little toes get curled up as the new hoof dries and pinches forward, the heels tend to contract and it's easier managed more often than to deal with it later as it gets more hard and the leg begins to mature. I usually have my babies trimmed at anywhere from two weeks to four weeks of age.

hay: depends on the hay, but if you have a good quality, soft-stemmed (we get Orchard Grass and if you're near Kipert's in Olympia area, they have the hay I'm talking about) hay, it should be fine, and grass is perfect for them, IME/my vet's opinion.

I have NEVER had a foal (or any other horse colic due to impaction on hay/grass/hair, etc.). My foals have access to all that the dam does from day one. I cannot keep the hay put up while I'm not there, simply because that would mean I had to sit with the horses for several hours a day to make sure the mom didn't turn into a stick (I'd love to, but I have other responsibilities!).

I would be afraid that the baby would find something truly inappropriate to eat if they didn't have hay or grass. My bigger fear is loose hair and so I groom my dams very often if they are in a shedding phase, and many here clip the flank/belly/stifle areas to keep the baby from ingesting so much hair when they nurse and explore mom.

Your colt is beautiful and he does indeed look to have blue eyes.
default_smile.png
He appears to be a black pinto. Baby coats are deceptive, but black is often born a shade of blue-grey and/or tannish grey.

Great job I bet Maddie is over the moon!

Liz M.
I agree with Liz here on all topics.
default_yes.gif
:

Very handsome boy... :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: congratulations!

Denise

Silversong Farm

He is just a doll
default_wub.png
: I sure cant see very lax tendons in the pix u posted?

This is the only one I could find that shows his legs a bit from the front. I will try and get some better ones tomorrow when he's out for some fun. Our mare Barbie is not used to being confined in the stall and is getting antsy and rightly so. Only being let out for 30 min 2x a day is just not enough for her. She has never since we've had her been pushy or sloppy with her ground manners and since we have stalled her for the foals sake, she is turning into a bitter lady. :no: We can't separate them yet and the only other thing that takes her mind off of getting out is food and we can't do that, so she will just have to stick it out a bit longer, but gosh it is very hard on her. She is pacing and pawing at the stall door and she has never done that before. She has always excepted that she comes in at night and back out in the morning, so she is really bitter. I hope this doesn't change her as I had not one complaint about her safety and manners around people. Boy this confinment thing has sure put a hitch in our getalong :no: Here's the photo see what you think?

1295a92b.jpg

Latest posts

Back