Banamine Dosage

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoeleeme

Reaction score
How long does a dose of Banamine Paste last? Does the shot last longer? We gave my mare a dose of the paste this morning at 5:30a.m. and she is still cringeing when the newborn baby tries to nurse, it's seems like it never helped. How many doses can you give them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your new foal! Is she a maiden mare? How much Banamine did you give her?

I find that maiden mares can be tender for a while until the udder goes down some in size and they adjust to the foal nursing. This might take 24 - 48 hours. I usually will tie a maiden mare if she is not wanting to let the foal nurse and force her to stand for her foal that way. Most adjust quickly (within a day) but you need to make sure the foal is nursing a sufficient amount and that he/she has gotten enough colostrum.

I find the effects of Banamine to last 4 - 6 hours in most cases.

Generally 24 hours is what is recommended. That has a lot of leeway when it comes to more though, but I wouldn't ever excede that recommendation without a vet's knowledge. If you have a horse that painful the vet needs to be aware of the problem. Injectable banamine will act faster, harder, but will wear off faster. You CAN do injectable 12 hours apart, but again, you need to have a vet involved in the process. Banamine is a perscription product, so I'm assuming you already have spoken to your vet in regards to this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back