Banamine after foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you give banamine after foaling

• Yes, to every mare after they foal

Votes: 34 49.3%
  • Only if I notice they are uncomfortable

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • I've never given it to a mare after foaling

Votes: 6 8.7%

• Total voters
Yes, I realize they are talking about giving to mare after she foals.... But my vet said NO WAY, that it goes striaght thru mares milk to foal.....
Found this info on Banamine: Maybe someone else knows more.

The Banamine interferes with the prostaglandin production, but - provided that it's given according to the manufacturer's guidelines - doesn't seem to have bad effects on the foetus or on the foal after its birth. According to the manufacturer of Banamine, the drug will not get into the mare's milk, and thus won't affect the nursing foal.

http://www.horse-sense.org/archives/20060326155530.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this info on Banamine: Maybe someone else knows more.

The Banamine interferes with the prostaglandin production, but - provided that it's given according to the manufacturer's guidelines - doesn't seem to have bad effects on the foetus or on the foal after its birth. According to the manufacturer of Banamine, the drug will not get into the mare's milk, and thus won't affect the nursing foal.

Thank you, I was just surprised because I knew so many here do give Banamine...

I voted only when uncomfortable, I don't wait until it's severe, but some mares really act like nothing happened, no cramping, etc., so why dose them with a drug unnecessarily? If the mare is crampy, or wanting to lay down, etc., then yes. But I have some pop up and go about life like nothing has happened.

That's one reason vets do NOT like to give out meds to people for use, is incorrect and/or overuse.

I first want to say that I absolutly love thi forum. I have learned so much. Last year my mare rejected her foal. The vet said the colt tore her and he thinks the pain is why she went after him. After reading all these post from people who give banamine, I called my vet to purchase a tube. Maybe if I had given her something last year the outcome would have been a whole lot better, not to mention how much more rest I would nave gotten not having to feed him evey two hours. Thanks everyone!
yes.gif

still.. explain to me why you give the inject. orally instead of a paste. also how much paste...my mares are 33.75 inches

also i know the past expires but can you give it if it is "just out" of expiration

The fact that the injectable can be given orally and is just as effective, is a plus to horse owners, IMO. No need to risk potetial abcesses at an injection site.

As to how much to give of the paste, you might ask your vet about that. Banamine is dosed by weight and you need to know the approximate weight of your horses. Not having used the paste before, I'm not sure how it's marked off, but it should be in weight increments.

Most medications are good for 6 months past their expiration date, but again, you might want to ask your vet or the manufacturer.

Back