Attention MARTY...barn question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Marty,

I have a few questions about your new barn, mainly the stalls. But first, thank you so much for the page detailing your barn-building process. It was informative AND funny! I especially liked the "call 1-800-SONNY. Too funny!

On the question: How did you secure the back side of the stall walls? I didn't see a post or anything, so wondered how you secured it to the block. Hubby promised he'd build me mini stalls this year (a mini does NOT need a 12x16 stall), and I wanted to make the walls removable. I had planned on using bars, but I really like the lattice you've used.

Thanks!

Glad you enjoyed my website. The barn page is in bad need of a update! I never got it finished, so now I probably will.

Ok, the back walls of the stalls ARE concrete. They are set on a concrete footer and just built! One block at a time..........joy. And it's sooo fun when someone backs up to the concrete wall and smashes poop into it. :eek: Every try to scrub mini poo off of concrete? :ugh:

The side walls are OSB. Then on the top of the osb is a 2 X 4 frame that has been grooved with a datto blade, so that the vinal lattice slides into it. The whole thing is in a channel, and can lift out in about less than 5 minutes if I care to expand the stalls. I also used vinal lattice back in Florida for the top part of big horse stalls because they cannot chew it!

These stalls are 10 X 10 and so far, I have not had a reason to remove the walls to expand. They fit foals in them real well.

Okay, if you're standing in the middle of a stall, facing toward a side wall.... the left side (at the front of the stall) is attached to a post. What attaches the right side to the concrete blocks?

I told hubby I only needed 6x8 stalls. I figured that was plenty of room for just one, and if my stallion ever figures out how to actually sire a foal, I could pop a wall out and make a stall that was 12x8. We were going to just put 1x2 boards on a post, leaving a gap for the side walls to slide in. But I like the groove idea better!

Scrubbing mini poo off of concrete blocks is probably about the same as scrubbing big horse poo off of a stone wall. I don't think it's asking too much of them to poop off the wall, in one spot. My QH does that, love his little heart. But the rest of the barn doesn't feel that need. LOL

Thanks so much!

Wendy

Glad you enjoyed my website. The barn page is in bad need of a update! I never got it finished, so now I probably will.

Ok, the back walls of the stalls ARE concrete. They are set on a concrete footer and just built! One block at a time..........joy. And it's sooo fun when someone backs up to the concrete wall and smashes poop into it. :eek: Every try to scrub mini poo off of concrete? :ugh:

The side walls are OSB. Then on the top of the osb is a 2 X 4 frame that has been grooved with a datto blade, so that the vinal lattice slides into it. The whole thing is in a channel, and can lift out in about less than 5 minutes if I care to expand the stalls. I also used vinal lattice back in Florida for the top part of big horse stalls because they cannot chew it!

These stalls are 10 X 10 and so far, I have not had a reason to remove the walls to expand. They fit foals in them real well.

Okay, if you're standing in the middle of a stall, facing toward a side wall.... the left side (at the front of the stall) is attached to a post. What attaches the right side to the concrete blocks?

U channels. Very simple U channels we made out of wood, ( 1 X 2's) and nailed into the concrete wall. Very easy to do. A U channel is I_I and then, the OSB board just drops in.

I told hubby I only needed 6x8 stalls.

No! That's entirely too small in my humble opion. Unless you are only feeding in them. I use my stalls a lot. I had 8 X 8's that were too small if your horse has to spend any length of time in them, such as a couple of days due to bad weather. Go as big as you possibly can in the first place. Bigger is always better. Mine are 10 X 10.

But I like the groove idea better!

The grooves are for the vinal lattice to slide into.

Latest posts

Back