aspiration pneumonia in foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dundee3

Reaction score
I have a month-old filly who has a soft palate problem. She can't swallow as fast as she can nurse, so even though she sneezes and coughs extra milk out, some is getting into her lungs and she has a bit of pneumonia. Anyone have any suggestions? Think we could give her milk replacer from a bucket? She's eating a bit of grain but not grazing yet....

This is something your vet needs to help you with.....

The foal will obviously need to be on antibiotics.

This is something your vet needs to help you with.....

The foal will obviously need to be on antibiotics.
This filly has been treated from Day 1 - nasogastric tube for a week, antibiotics, steroids, but despite that, she still can't swallow the milk fast enough and some comes out her nose. She has been to the DuPont Equine Center in VA - part of VA Tech Vet School. We were just wondering if someone had any other ideas.

They always drink slower from a bucket or pan. Plus, you have the added benefit of gravity since her head will be down. Is this a bottle baby? I guess I always think mothers milk is best, but if she is already drinking milk replacer, then by all means, put it in a bucket. Can't hurt to try, and I know they slow down.

This filly has been treated from Day 1 - nasogastric tube for a week, antibiotics, steroids, but despite that, she still can't swallow the milk fast enough and some comes out her nose. She has been to the DuPont Equine Center in VA - part of VA Tech Vet School. We were just wondering if someone had any other ideas.

Sorry......Didn't get the whole picture...... I agree with Pepperhill. Encouraging her to take extra from a bucket can't do anything but help. Blessings and good luck being sent for her.

Hi Lyn

I'm glad you posted on here. Hopefully some of these ideas will help.

I am keeping your little girl in my thoughts.

~Sandy

Back