ASPC / Canadian Shetland

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy C

Reaction score
default_rolleyes.gif
I was asked to join the Canadian shetland club but I am not sure if I could show my ASPC/AMHR or what is the difference thanks Tammy

Tammy, I'm not aware of any "Canadian Shetland club" as you noted, but Canadian shetland ponies are registered with the Canadian Pony Society. I believe they have different height limits for their classes, among other differences. Here's a link to the CPS http://www.clrc.ca/pony.shtml . There's contact information there.

Tammy, I'm not aware of any "Canadian Shetland club" as you noted, but Canadian shetland ponies are registered with the Canadian Pony Society. I believe they have different height limits for their classes, among other differences. Here's a link to the CPS http://www.clrc.ca/pony.shtml . There's contact information there.
Thanks Judy her name is Devon from Ottawa ask me to come to a meeting this saturday in Toronto for the Canadian shetlands but only new to this was not sure the difference.

Funny... I'm leaving for the Canadian Shetland banquet tomorrow
default_laugh.png
Joe is on the Road Horse committee and since a couple of Canadian clubs joined together, I get to mingle with the Shetlands too!
default_biggrin.png

I don't know the answer though. Most people who show either ASPC or with the Canadian Shetland club, they don't really do both - As far as I know. Everyone I know is one or the other, no one even know much about the other. I think that a Canadian Shetland club horse would have a ASPC papers, but I could be wrong!
default_smile.png

Thanks Judy her name is Devon from Ottawa ask me to come to a meeting this saturday in Toronto for the Canadian shetlands but only new to this was not sure the difference.
Missed this post; as I said I'll be there and I'll be a member too
default_saludando.gif
I'm not sure If I know you, be we know the same people so maybe I just don't recognize your LB name. I know you just bought the Fox lane colt though
default_wink.png
If you do come, I look forward to seeing you an I will be able to talk to you about MINIS! LOL

I am going to try to find out about this Shetland club too
default_smile.png

I'd like to know more about this Shetland club. Who's in it (i.e. president, directors, etc.)? Is there a website? Is it separate from the Canadian Pony Society, or part of it?

Desiree, from I've heard in the past, I think you're right about being "either one or the other".

Seems hard to get information-- I went on their website quite awhile ago when Tammy & I first discussed this.

I emailed a person on the website and asked for information & a rulebook. I never even got a reply back from the organization.

I was of the same opinion as Judy & Desiree -- that either you are one or the other.

Glad to hear you got an invitation Tammy-- maybe you will get some information to share when you are there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian Pony Society

I think Harry Sharpless is the liason between the ASPC and the Canadian Pony Society. Ponies showing at the Royal Winter Fair can be either ASPC or Canadian Shetlands. I think Canadian owned Shetlands have to be Canadian papered Shetlands, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I believe there is reciprocity betweent the two registries now. ASPC has the American Shetland Pony International Registry available to animals who are registered with another registry and I "believe" CPS has something similar. Contacting one of the directors on the website I gave would be the easiest way to get answers-many of them are "old time" pony guys who prefer a phone call. Art Alderman is also the Royal Winter Fair Rep for anyone who is interested in showing a pony there.

Pam

Canadian Pony Society
I think Harry Sharpless is the liason between the ASPC and the Canadian Pony Society. Ponies showing at the Royal Winter Fair can be either ASPC or Canadian Shetlands. I think Canadian owned Shetlands have to be Canadian papered Shetlands, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I believe there is reciprocity betweent the two registries now. ASPC has the American Shetland Pony International Registry available to animals who are registered with another registry and I "believe" CPS has something similar. Contacting one of the directors on the website I gave would be the easiest way to get answers-many of them are "old time" pony guys who prefer a phone call. Art Alderman is also the Royal Winter Fair Rep for anyone who is interested in showing a pony there.

Pam
Thanks Pam!

I'll look into this more this weekend!

Wonder if a Canadian Shetland under 38" that can be registered with ASPC then hard shipped with AMHR.......? I wonder if there is one for sale?
default_laugh.png

Canadian Pony Society

Pam
Thanks Pam!

Wonder if a Canadian Shetland under 38" that can be registered with ASPC then hard shipped with AMHR.......? I wonder if there is one for sale?
default_laugh.png
You can register a Canadian Shetland in the American Shetland Pony International Registry and then hardship to AMHR. When they are ASPIR they can't show as a shetland. It is on page 2 of the 2009 rulebook supplement.

Pam

Canadian Pony Society

Pam
Thanks Pam!

default_laugh.png
You can register a Canadian Shetland in the American Shetland Pony International Registry and then hardship to AMHR. When they are ASPIR they can't show as a shetland. It is on page 2 of the 2009 rulebook supplement.

Pam
Thanks!

Why wouldn't they be able to show as an American Shetland? Where are "ASPIR" shows/classes held?

I don't have a 2009 rulebook supplement - do I need to ask for it?

Latest posts

Back