Arenosa Bloodlines

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a whole story provided at several different sites http://www.americanshetlandpony.com/arenosahistory.html is one ... and basically I get that the theory was that Audrey Barrett concentrated her breeding program on a certain "type" of Shetland Pony, ... thus reproducing uniformly the same type, and duly named one of the most prestigious breeders.
So, I suppose one could say it is not really a "bloodline", but a "type" or style of Shetland Pony. You certainly can usually pick out which ones they are... so I would have to say that was true. = )
I would say it is "type".....AND bloodline, being as Mrs. Barrett used two half brothers to create the LOOK.

We have two 100% Arenosa stallions and now only three 100% mares......We just lost one to hyperlipemia and colic, Nov. 13. We love their beauty and movement. Their personalities are not like a mini, but more like an arab. You have to earn their trust.

Pictured is our very special Number One mare, "Chispa", running with her foal from last year......

DSC_0682.jpg

Oh Larry & Maryann... I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

I was hoping someone with a little more knowledge of the era would respond. You're right... once you have their trust... they seem to do anything for you. You have some very lovely Arenosas! I haven't forgotten about you for the future.
default_biggrin.png

Here is Sundance LB Gaia, she is 100% Shetland, 37.5% Arenosa, and all pretty girl.
default_smile.png
She is about 34-1/2"

leftside1.jpg

Here is Sundance LB Esprit Poetique, 50% Arenosa. He is about 33"

pasco-bowed.jpg

Sundance LB Tru Colors, 50% Arenosa and 3/4 sister to Esprit. 34"

Colors060709-2.jpg

There is a particular line of the Arenosa that I really love, from the stallion Troubadour. All of my Arenosa blends are from this stallion. Both Esprit and Colors are 1/2 mini.

I would have to agree. I think the Arenosa bred horses are definitely a type of their own. And in my opinion one of the loveliest ones. But, I have always thought the percentages were based on the horses pedigree and blood, not the breeders and his or her farm name.

I used to visit with Mrs. Barett and she would tell me about trying this or that with different lines and they were horses others had bred.

The % Arenosa is determined by the % of "genetic material" comes from a horse that was bred by Audrey Barrett, not the number or percentage of Arenosa horses in the line - there is a BIG difference!

Once you identify an Arenosa horse in a line, you don't also count the Arenosa horse's parents. (that would be like double-dipping! :) So if the grandmother is Arenosa, you don't also count the grandmother's parents as well. If you did, I know horses that would end up being 400% Arenosa because they have generations of Arenosa breeding!

Even 100% Arenosa horses can have a "non-Arenosa" farm name. If both parents were bred by Audrey Barrett or if all 4 of the horse's grandparents were bred by Audrey Barrett, the horse is still 100% Arenosa, (just like if both your parents or all 4 of your grandparents came from Ireland, you would be 100% Irish, even though you don't live in Ireland)

Each parent that was bred by Audrey Barrett = 50%

Each grand parent that was bred by Audrey Barrett = 25%

Each great-grandparent that was bred by Audrey Barrett = 12.5%

Each great-great grandparent that was bred by Audrey Barrett = 6.25%

At the bottom of this page is a pedigree for a horse that is 37.5% Arenosa: http://alphahorses.com/HorseInfo/sold/Alph...sMagicalIvy.htm

1. I look at the Sire's sire first, and see no Arenosa in his line at all.

2. I look at the Sire's dam next, and see that she is "of Arenosa". A grandparent contributes 25% of the genetic material, so this horse is 25% Arenosa so far. Don't go back any further on this line ... you've already identified an Arenosa horse, so stop.

3. Next, I look at the Dam's sire's top line and see a great grandsire that is Arenosa. A great grandparent contributes 12.5% don't go back any further for that horse once it is determined to be Arenosa! You need to think % of genetic material, not % of Arenosa horses in the pedigree - there is a big difference.

I also check the lower line of the Dam's sire and see no Arenosa there.

4. Finally, I check the Dam's dam's line and see no Arenosa there.

So this horse is 25% + 12.5% = 37.5% Arenosa

Keep in mind that there is a farm out there now that has reserved "of Arenosa" for the end of their horse's/pony's names, so you need to verify that the "of Arenosa" horse in your horses's line is really bred by or goes back to Audrey Barrett's breeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I think I get it. But, can you tell me what percentage of Hart Horses I have if I have Lucky Hart going back four generations top and bottom?

Estasblo horses are Arenosa as well there are a lot of them out there for sure not just one farm.

We have a Arenosa gelding.. I do think (have flame suit on) that with so much line breeding going on with that line there are for sure some set types however there are also some very common flaws in that line as well so like with everything look at the whole picture not just the pedigree
default_smile.png

The colt in question is 100% Arenosa. His parents are both Establo horses.

I've heard that most Arenosas have big pretty movement. Is this true of the majority of them or can some have less fancier motion? The colt in question is also not "skittish or standoffish" as most seem to be.

I've heard that most Arenosas have big pretty movement. Is this true of the majority of them or can some have less fancier motion?
We ended up purchasing a mare bred by Audrey Barrett from Gooselanding Farm- named Kewpies Amada of Arenosa - without knowing anything about the Arenosa bloodlines . We purchased the mare back in 1999 on a trip to New England based upon the athletic ability and beauty of her offspring. It was only through research later that we learned about Audrey Barrett and her breeding program and the Arenosa prefix/suffix.

Although we sadly lost Armada to a brain tumor a few years ago ( she was in her mid teens when we obtained her) her influence on our breeding program has been substantial.

She produced Buckeye WCF Cat a Lena (HOF)- a Regional open pleasure driving champion - Lena is the dam of Buckeye WCF Cicada Song (HOF) ( National Futurity winner, and other numerous wins including National Reserve Grand open pleasure driving as a 3 year old) - Lena is also the Dam of Amazing Grace (HOF) - this years National Reserve Grand Roadster Champion and AMHR and ASPC futurity champion.

grace2009_small.jpg

Armada is the dam to one of my favorite all time show mares - Buckeye WCF Classical Elegance(HOF) who has many National wins in halter including National Champion Sweepstakes - and she was also National Reserve Grand Roadster Champion

elly07nationals01_small.jpg

Elegance is a full sister to Buckeye WCF Classical Magic ( owned by Alpha Farms) mentioned in an earlier reply. Armada also produced Buckeye WCF Kewpie Rose who is another key National Champion producer in our mare lineup.

As others have mentioned, their are different strains and variations of the Arenosa bred horses. Some are more talented halter horses, others are talented driving horses and some have the ability to excel in both disciplines.

We researched for 3 years for a stallion to cross back with Armada's offspring and added Kewpies Paposo of Arenosa to our Stallion program. He had a proven track record of producing National winning halter and driving horses. I'm not sure which bloodlines your Establo horses are related - but Papo came to us from Cherry Wilson who dispersed of Mrs. Barretts Arenosa horses for her. Several of the Establo original stock came from Cherry - and one of her herd sires is a Papo son and she has a few Papo daughters. Here are a couple of Papo foals and he has produced some big movers for us.

Buckeye WCF Paposo Red Hot

min07filly04.jpg

and her full brother

Buckeye WCF Mirror Image

missmin05colt02_small.jpg

I am by no means an expert on this bloodline - and we obtained Armada on the merits of her offspring - not on her bloodlines. We do own several horses that were bred personally by Mrs Barrett. Hope this is of help.

Maybe I should start another thread, as my questions have more to do with the prefix(farm-name) percentage thing, than the Arenosa bred horses. I sure appreciate the wonderful influence that the Arenosa bred horses have had on the miniature breed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back