Area V Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Us N Texas

Reaction score
Well, we got to the area v show early enough Friday morning to jerk our driving horses off the trailer, harness them, and run them in the ring with no warm up, no nothing. It happened so quickly I think they were in shock. The rest of the weekend just followed suit. We were supposed to be in an air-conditioned arena, but were stuck showing outside in a partially enclosed area with fans and such. I don't know for sure what happened, but Michelin Tire was having a company family day on Saturday, and had taken over the air conditioned arena, and on Friday, they were cleaning up the arena for them from a carnival that had been there. The barns were nice, but everyone and their horses were just panting. The temps got into the 100's. One day, I noticed on a bank sign it was 109. We had to pay $25.00 per night/day to plug our horse trailer into an outlet so we could have air conditioning in the dressing room. You needed some place to go to get a little relief from the heat. Horses were terribly hot, and some were getting overheated and going down. Some were colicking. We were hosing our horses down several time per day, and one late afternoon, we started adding alcohol to a bucket of water and sponging them off. A lot of people started scratching their horses out of any classes that would work the horses into more of a lather. On Sunday, we got the air conditioned arena back, but we opted to scratch out of all our driving classes, because we didn't want to have to go out in the heat to work our horses before a class, and take a chance of them overheating. On top of everything, I got several fire ant bites, and I am allergic to them! I medicated up, then proceeded to sit and sleep, and slur my words so badly, I didn't want to talk to anyone for fear they would think I was drunk, when actually I was just all drugged up! Had to find some humor somewhere. The show was not a total flop though, as I met several great new people, and as with all shows, got to enjoy the company of a bunch of great people.

Sorry to hear that you and your horses had to suffer in such horrible heat. Glad no one was seriously injured because of it. How out of the norm is it to have temperatures like that there? With Congress being held there next year makes me really think
default_new_shocked.gif
right now.

I think it is kind of unusual for the weather to be that hot. I know that we've been having a heat wave in our area, and of course, this past week-end was the peaking of the heat wave. It will definitely be warm there in August though, hopefully not as hot as this past week-end. I don't know the averages for that area though.

I must have missed something somewhere. Where was this show held? If you were supposed to have the air conditioned arena and someone else got it out from under you, something is terribly wrong. Was there no contract?

I wasn't there, but I can attest to the heat. To have highs and heat indexes in the 110s in the later part of June is a bit unusual. It is abnormally hot right now in TX and OK.

It was wicked, to say the least. We were in one of the out barns, so at least we got some breezes through the ends. I don't know how you guys inside stood it. We had fans running the whole time, plus when I fed my two I took their normal rations and watered them so they had a wet slurry to eat. I added a pinch of electrolytes, too, to be safe.

When we came around the far turn in the driving classes, it was like someone opened an oven door- just a blast of hot air! It made you gasp....

The pizza party Saturday night was nice, though. They held it in the arena so it was air conditioned. I brought the dogs in and we stayed until they were ready to close for the night. Just chillin'....
default_wink.png

Lucy

Hi,

I would like to clarify on the Air Conditioned Arena !! As a member of the Oklahoma Club and on the show committee !! [SIZE=12pt]WE WERE NEVER CONTRACTED TO HAVE THE AIR CONDITIONED ARENA !! WE WERE IN NEGOTIONATION WITH THE FACILTIY IF THEY COULD GET THE BOOKED EVENT OVER AND OUT FAST ENOUGH WE MIGHT COULD GET THE ARENA AT A REDUCED COST.. AS MOST SMALL CLUBS LIKE OURSELF JUST CAN NOT AFFORD THOSE KIND OF ARENAS
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
[/SIZE]

It did get typed on the class list , but that was NOT supposed to be on there.. As it was the facilty was very gracious and let us show in the Air Conditioned arena on Sunday for NO additional Cost !!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Now for the horses that were ill , I only heard of two and so did the steward.. One was ill due to stress of being at his first show , and I am sure the heat added to it. The other was a very mild colic and with one shot of Banimine by its owner was just fine !!! NEVER DID WE SEE ANY HORSES GO DOWN.. If they did they did not tell show management or the steward.

The club was Great at keeping two large Coolers of Ice Cold water right at the arena Gate with plenty of drinking cups...
default_aktion033.gif
The Arena we were in was very large and had the black sun screen around it to Keep the Direct sun out, and there were I think at Least 8 of what they call ""THE BIG butt FANS " And really that is the name on the Fan... <<LOL>>> they are monsters and kept enough air flow that they blew the leaves off our fake trees , and plants..
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

The Club and the facilty did everything in their power to make it a SAFE and enjoyable weekend , under extreme weather conditions.. We were told by many from other area 's they were having the same problems , Friends that were at Area 6 said the heat for that area was exteme with high heat index also. ... So guess it was just plain HOT everywhere.. My horses in the pastures were just standing under shade trees dripping wet ..

We thank everyone that came and showed this weekend and helped make the Area 5 Show a success.. We had over 240 horses with great competition.. Some of the Driving Stakes classes yesterday afternoon had as many as 15 horses in them.. Everyone try and stay Kool...
default_saludando.gif

I am sorry it was so hot I know friends who had large horses showing and jumping in the heat and none went down although they were hot and had to be hosed off often. Not sure why the minis would have been dropping like that?

I know other area shows had the same issue with the heat it is just one of the chances you take showing this time of year. Seems like you cant win... show to early and it could be literally freezing, to late and it is scorching- just part of showing horses I guess
default_laugh.png

What is even crazier is that we actually PAY To sweat and be hot lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I FOR ONE WILL NOT GO TO CONGRESS NEXT YEAR WITH 2 BABIES, IF IT IS ANYWHERE NEAR THE CONDITIONS THAT WERE PRESENT THIS WEEKEND. THEY NEED BIG FANS IN THE BARN AREA. WHEN I LEFT I WAS VOMITING ALL THE WAY HOME BECAUSE OF THE HEAT.

It's been horribly hot here, can imagine what it was like showing! I sure hope it cools down a little before San Antonio, that's generally a hot one anyway - July in south Texas lol - but we'll be there with lots of fans.
default_smile.png
Rose Palace has those big misting fans which help, can't hear anything but at least it cools you down.

Jan

It was hot at the show, but it was well worth it. At least there was no humidity!!!! The facility was great. We never did have problems with our horses. The show staff and facility personel were awesome. It was unusually warm for June, but that is something that can not be controlled. I have been to shows in April that I have frozen to death or sweated to death, just part of it. We had a huge shade tree at the end of our stalls, so we set up camp there, so we were comfortable enough. I personally will be looking forward to Congress being there.

About the only place you can find that will not be hot in July/August will be the North Pole!!! The heat wave finally broke here in East Texas, as it is going to be in the low 90's this week. That is a normal temperature for our area. That is an advantage of living in this area, we have a very long show season!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

We went and we endured the heat wave along with everyone else. And yes it was extremely hot, even for our part of the country. But all our horses did fine, they sweated quite a bit, but with the electrolytes and all we give them for a hot show they did fine.
default_wink.png

Like Belinda, I heard of only two horses having minimal problems, as most everyone was paying attention to the horses and giving them extra care to ensure there were no problems.
default_yes.gif

Tons of nice horses and the people were a joy as usual. Area Food was great (try Pollo's if you go), nice motels, good facility and clean little town.
default_wub.png

I for one will be going to Congress again next year, actually we are looking forward to it.
default_risa8.gif

Wildoak, you are right San Antonio is always a hot one, but the long range forecast is saying it is supposed to cool down a little before then. I hope so!!
default_biggrin.png

See you there, it is always a fun show.
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_488.gif

Humm, did none of you know about the horse that had a temp of 105, and got IV's all night? I am not saying it was any of the show committee's fault, it was just Mother Nature and it was hotter than he-----. We kept our fans on the horses as well, and made sure they had plenty of water, and were hosed down a lot. I had plenty of pedialite, but forgot to bring it. If I had that with me, we would have given it to the horses. We did not have any problems with our horses other than trying to keep them cooled down, and us as well. The motel we stayed in was nice, but both nights there, we had the misfortune to be next to a party room. We had to call the front desk, and they had to call the police twice in one night. They decided to do a lot of drinking, playing loud music, and vomiting all night right in front of our door. Minih said when she came in there were at least 20 of them outside our door and in our area. After the second trip by the police, we finally got to sleep about 2:00 am, and from there to 6:30, got a little sleep. Not the motel's fault really, just human nature acting out. That we treated as humorous. The motel staff was out in force the next a.m. hosing the sidewalk and parking lot down, and picking up the beer cans. One of the guys was so far gone that when the police were there, he staggered up, said "I left my beer here," and proceeded to pick it up and drink it right in front of the officer. THAT was hilarious! Then on top of all that, I got bitten several times by fire ants at the barn, and I am allergic to them. Even with Benadryl, I will have these nasty bites on me for about a week. I hate those darned things, and wish there was a way to completely eradicate them!

I agree with you about fire ants, it is a constant battle with those durn things. The only thing I have found that works all the time is a metal anvil and a ball peen hammer. I just have not fiqured out how to get them to line up and walk across the anvil. But I am working on it. LOL Hope you get to feeling better.

default_wacko.png
default_yes.gif

yes it was hot,,, dont forget we were showing in the summer time.. and unusally hot this time of year,, in OKLAHOMA..

I thought the show ran great for it being hot..

I had the pony that had mild colic,, found her very early in the process,, one shot of banamine and she was good as new.. could have happend at home..

I thought our club MHPBO did a fantastic job of trying to keep everyone cool....

OH BELINDA the name on the fans is BIG butt FANS.... and yes they look like helicopter blades..

The facility went above and beyond to accomodate us.

CANT WAIT FOR CONGRESS 2010...

OH ONE MORE THING,, the GUEST INN IS AMERICAN OWNED AND OPERATED>> AMEN...

and Polos Mexican restaurants is very good food,, Polos started in Ada, OK.. I have been eating it since 1975...Those attending Congress in 2010 will be supprised at all the eating joints and stores..

I can not wait for Congress in 2010.. at least I have plenty of time to get my pony ready (ok and me)

I know my horses would have been hotter if they were at home, as they would not have had a fan blowing on them 24/7... something to think about. It was hot.... my gosh, it IS summertime!!!!!

Just Us N Texas, I don't understand why you are posting such negative things about what happened to you at the show, that has nothing to do about the show itself. Fire ants are everywhere, not just on the show grounds. I am sure you could have been biten by one on your own farm. As far as the drunk people at the hotel, that could happen anywhere in the USA. What does that have to do with the show? Since you are from Texas (like I am), I am sure you are aware that it was warmer than usual for this time of year.

I am like Freddy, I have had a horse colic at home that has never even been to a show. The other horse's situation was due to stress, as it was that horse's first time to be at a show.

Just Us N Texas, I don't understand why you are posting such negative things about what happened to you at the show, that has nothing to do about the show itself. Fire ants are everywhere, not just on the show grounds. I am sure you could have been biten by one on your own farm. As far as the drunk people at the hotel, that could happen anywhere in the USA. What does that have to do with the show? Since you are from Texas (like I am), I am sure you are aware that it was warmer than usual for this time of year.
I don't think she should be jumped on for stating how her show went for her. If you can not state your opinion on here without being jumped on,why post?

I was at the same show and yes, it was horribly hot and anyone that says otherwise is lying. At a pharmacy we passed it was posted 109 degrees, and when you walked into the barns the heat slammed you in the face. We need to remember that the heat effects some harder than others. I had my mom with me at the show and she is older so we took her back to the hotel for most of the day on Saturday, it was just too hot for her but the rest of us managed ok. We did have one horse have mild colic symptoms when we returned on Monday morning, but she is ok now.

Sunday was wonderful, the air conditioned arena was a godsend. Thank you to the colliseum for allowing us to use it.
default_aktion033.gif
And even tho it was hot, I am looking forward to Congress next year there!!!

I think the big problem is the show bill said it would be air conditioned so from what I hear that is what upset people. I can see if you are expecting air and get there and have none for most of the show (in those kind of temps) it could be upsetting. But everyones human and mistakes happen.

Ok Simple Life, I am so sorry my attempt at humorous poking fun at myself was so offensive. Yes it was hot, and yes I could have been bitten by the fire ants at home. Not all shows go great, and for me this one didn't. It seemed to be a comedy of errors. Did you not read that I considered the incident at the hotel humorous? After having the pants scared off me by the police officer banging on our door and telling us to open the da-- door right now, and didn't even announce he was a police officer. Oh, and by the way, I am not from Texas. I live here now, but I've only been here for four years. I am still not used to all the heat, and the fire ants! After the past couple of shows we've been to, I think we better start taking our motor home out again, instead of going to motels.

By the way Terri, how is your Mom? She told me she had lyme disease. Hope the show and the heat weren't too much for her. I really admire her for her spunk and for being there.

Latest posts

Back