Are we talking about the same thing?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
When Laceys death was ruled to be from hyperlipidemia...I did a search here and found no matches. But I keep seeing "hyperlipemia" mentioned several times here. Is this the same thing?

Sorry,

I cant help with this, however I will bump this up for you...
default_unsure.png
:

Maybe someone will see it now.

I am so sorry for the loss of your mare.. :no:

Jeri

I dont have the answer but I know that I was wondering the same thing when you posted

They're the same problem just varying degrees - lipids (fats) in the bloodstream. My understanding is hyperlipemia is the 'normal' name for this problem. The severity of the problem when it's either hyperlipemia or hyperlipidemia is 500+ mg/dL with 1200 mg/dL more or less being the point of survival being highest.

It really depends though, the vets at the symposium we were at saw minis survive with high mg/dL levels that had no other underlying problem - that seems to be a contributing factor. The mare I had with hyperlipemia survivied(fortunately), but had an underlying/unidentified infection which was a contributor to her problem.

This article is a bit technical, but is similar to the information we were given at a recent Miniature Horse Symposium regarding cause, treatment, etc.

Hyperlipemia in Miinis

I don't think most of us know the difference - I always assumed someone couldn't spell the words correctly! I just found out the difference a couple of weeks ago and still can't keep it straight.

Thanks for the kind words Jeri,

and thank you Michelle, for helping clarify it.

I think I understand it now. I'll take a look at that article and if it's too technical (for my pea-brain anyway) perhaps my vet can explain the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back