Are there breeders not breeding for the Arabian type

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mo mhuirnín

Reaction score
The Arabian types can be lovely but is anyone breeding another type say quarter horse for example.

All of my horses are the "stock" type because that is what I prefer. My goal is to breed solid stock horses in miniature. I grew up with QH, and even though I love looking at Arabians, I like the substantial look of a QH.

I actually have a mini that is gaited. I did some research and found that there are some breeders that breed for gaited mini's. My guy is a bigger, div B mini. He is a paint, but does also have a nice Arabian head.

I think breeders who breed to sell are going with the trend of what's popular and winning at the shows. As long as a mini fits the standard of perfection it should not have to look like an Arabian IMO.

Our horses lean more toward the "Stock Horse" build. They still do well at Halter but better in the performance classes. Our little buckskin 3 yr colt really reminds me of a QH in miniature. He rocks the Liberty class.
038.jpg

HilderbrandS_JUN9729_4x6Hcopy.jpg

I love the QH look of your guy Barefootin, and that you don't do his bridle path like an arab. He's got a nice QH type face- clean muzzle with big cheeks and that look suits him.

Just me personally- I am not fond of the halfway down the neck bridle paths, I'd rather see a stock type mini turned out like a stock horse, even with a pulled mane if it suited the horse's conformation better.

Jess-bently I would love to know some breeder's names who are breeding gaited minis.

I'm not a breeder, but I have been looking into horses and lines I like, and none are Araby at all.

Not the best picture, but this is the gaited mini. He will walk, trot, pace and canter. It's pretty cool! No website yet, but looking into making one. This little horse does drive and will also pace when in harness.

photos033.jpg

We are also breeding for the stock type build. I agree that the Arab type is beautiful, my own preference is the stock though.
4073592.jpg

I have personally NEVER seen a Mini that I would truly 'mistake' for an Arab, lol I do like that the heads are becoming more refined and prettier. I like driving and performance so that is what I breed for but am a stickler about a nice head too. I like a horse that is refined, yet has substance- some muscle for driving and other things in performance.

Several of mine lean heavily toward Morgan in miniature. I love Arabian type, but the mini should look like a horse first. Lex, Romeo, Tori, and Lacey look a bit like morgans. Joe and Jamie have beautiful kewpie doll heads, not sure what type to classify them. Adorable! ;)

I primarily sell the stockier minis. I attribute this to the amount of QH and paint shows in my area. I agree that both are beautiful but I prefer the older stockier type ponies.

I am breeding for what makes ME happy I have a mix of types. Some minis are almost to arabian like for me I love a happy medium! I show and breed AQHA Halter Horses too so got to love stock type too!

Remember at the end of the day is is what makes YOU happy not others.

None of my horses are Arabian in my book since I own 2 pure bloodied Arabians lol These are just a few of my non Arabian miniatures

970585_146381412231516_1838401243_n.jpg

1174986_167446693458321_2120317084_n.jpg

970458_150688841800773_255728481_n.jpg

8642084.jpg

I'm not really a "breeder" anymore. I sold my broodmares & the only mare I have left I have not been able to get in foal.

But... I don't think my stallion is "araby" at all. To me he looks like a tiny morgan. I love the arab look, and have seen some that with the right background

they could easily be mistaken for an arabian.

gallery_35239_31_113021.jpg

I'm just laughing a bit to myself, as my family raised Arabian show horses for many years many decades ago. But today, even the "Arabians don't look like Arabians" -- at least the ones I remember! LOL

Back