apricot and brindles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanessa101

Reaction score
is there an apircot colour in miniature horses? and are there also the brindle in the colours in miniature horses? if there is can i see some pictures please

Last edited by a moderator:
By "apricot" do you mean the Pearl dilution? If so, it is not known to exist in Miniature Horses.

I am so glad you asked that question because I have never seen a brindled horse before. Beautiful!

OOOHHHHH!!!! Marbles is stunning and sooo in LOVE with her!
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png

Apricot is a description that could fit "real" colors like red dun and silver bay... potentially even some bay duns and silver buckskins.

ahh brindles are very pretty .....are they hard to find and breed?and can someone show me a picture of pearl dilution?

o and are brindles expensive in the miniature breed?

ahh brindles are very pretty .....are they hard to find and breed?and can someone show me a picture of pearl dilution?

o and are brindles expensive in the miniature breed?
Probably, because they're so rare... I would bet most of us will never see this color in person, but also most breeders will point out that conformation is most important and good horses are never a bad color.

Isn't there a school of thought that brindles are chimeras, and infertile? I seem to remember reading this somewhere.

Jill-some brindles are indeed chimera, though I can't imagine why some couldn't reproduce (as long as both sets of DNA were of the same gender). Human chimeras can. I will have to look into that. There are lines that are known for producing brindles in big horses that are not chimera however. I believe riverdance, back when she discovered her filly was a brindle, had her tested and researchers decided that she was not chimera.

This is my 29 inch black roan brindle mare, Irish Lullaby, that I bred from a solid chestnut mare and a black stallion that has sired only roans. The stallion has now turned grey. I hope the photo can be seen.

LULLABYIMAGERIGHTSTRIPES.jpg

This is my 29 inch black roan brindle mare, Irish Lullaby, that I bred from a solid chestnut mare and a black stallion that has sired only roans. The stallion has now turned grey. I hope the photo can be seen.

View attachment 5999
She is beautiful.
default_smile.png
She is kinda marked like our mustang mare, LeTigre (she will be tested when tamed enough)

wia4c0.jpg

View attachment 5999
WOW -- she may just be the most pronounced brindle mini I've seen so far. (Going by photos, that is.)

She is beautiful.
default_smile.png
She is kinda marked like our mustang mare, LeTigre (she will be tested when tamed enough)

wia4c0.jpg
Wow, I love your mustang mare! How lucky you are to have such a combination in mustang and brindle.

I neglected to mention that in my mare's case, she has been tested by UCDavis; also she does NOT have a grey gene, and will keep her black coloring. Also, her sire is tested, and even tho he is now grey, he tests homog black and roan.

Wow, I love your mustang mare! How lucky you are to have such a combination in mustang and brindle.

I neglected to mention that in my mare's case, she has been tested by UCDavis; also she does NOT have a grey gene, and will keep her black coloring. Also, her sire is tested, and even tho he is now grey, he tests homog black and roan.
How curious. Is the mare herself tested for roan? (Which she must have.)

I'm only curious because of the Thoroughbred roans sired by Catch A Bird who was a brindle and sired the only known roans in the TB breed. I am curious as to whether or not the brindle and roan are related?

http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/tbcolor2.html

If Catch A Bird were still alive I'm sure he would be tested to determine if he is a chimera. I've often wondered if he isn't an example of a chimera with two different sires given that he has produced foals that appear to be true roan in a breed that does not have true roans. His roan production was extremely rare, not the percentage expected, which makes a person wonder if instead of the 50% roan sperm of a normal roan he was only producing roan sperm from one chimeric testicle thus only 25% roan sperm... It would be very, very interesting to see a DNA comparison between his roan offspring and his non-roan offspring to see if they come up with two completely different genotypes...

If Catch A Bird were still alive I'm sure he would be tested to determine if he is a chimera. I've often wondered if he isn't an example of a chimera with two different sires given that he has produced foals that appear to be true roan in a breed that does not have true roans. His roan production was extremely rare, not the percentage expected, which makes a person wonder if instead of the 50% roan sperm of a normal roan he was only producing roan sperm from one chimeric testicle thus only 25% roan sperm... It would be very, very interesting to see a DNA comparison between his roan offspring and his non-roan offspring to see if they come up with two completely different genotypes...
That's a very good point. It could in all actuality be possible for him to actually be of a different breed then TB. How interesting!

I would have never have thought of that theory!

Back