Appy Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LC Farm

Reaction score
We are just getting interested in the appy's and bought our second one. Right now he has a blanket and within the blanket there are darker black spots. We are wondering if this means anything, like will he turn all white and have the darker spots stay black? He is a weanling.

Thank you for all the help.

Striker042_opt.jpg

Striker038.jpg

He could roan out all over, he could roan out with more spots. He could stay the same and develope more spots or he could just stay the same.... Appies are like a box of chocolates.... you never know what you're gonna get!! And since he is just a weanling, you may have a completely different looking horse in a couple of years.

What color are his sire and dam?

Yup, pretty much whats already been said. You just don't know. My yearling appy was born solid bay with 4 white spots the size of dimes. His first clip he was grey with alot more white and those little black spots yours has. By winter you could see his coat come in with a white blanket and brown spots. He's 2 this year and his entire body has been roaning out. His second clip his body was almost white with those nice big ol brown spots on his rump. Doesn't look at all like the same horse. I have pictures of all his stages if you wanted to see them.

His sire is a palomino pinto and it says that is dam is a black appaloosa. I would like to see your pictures lilmiracles if it isn't to much trouble.

thank you

Pretty much what HG said, hard to say if he will color more or not..

I have a colt similar to what lilmiraclesfarm colt did.. Mine was born jet black, by a month or so old he was starting to frost, first clip showed a spotted roany "blanket", with time he kept getting more and more frosting and I do believe he will look like a near leopard come spring clipping as much as his white has spread..

102_2584.jpg

101_2754.jpg

First clip:

101_2955.jpg

102_3583.jpg

Preview clip early this spring:

100_4757.jpg

5tj.gif

Most recent photos of him:

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0507.jpg

Another colt we had was born bay snowcap, with time he started roaning out more, got a marbled look to his clipped coat and bigger snowcap..

I've also got a black bay colt from this year that I think will be appying out by spring time..

Not a problem!

3 Days old - See the small white rump spots

Picture_or_Video_029.jpg

First Winter - He was born late in the summer so wasn't clipped until spring.

feather1.jpg

First Clip - Notice all the black spots? Still very little white.

Picture280.jpg

Picture313.jpg

Second Winter-

Christmastrees-1.jpg

Second Clip - He is much lighted than his first clip and you can see all his spots are brown

feather_running.jpg

This Winter- This is the only picture I have right now, but you can still see how much he's changed. His entire body has roaned as well as his face.

IMG_9361.jpg

Will he change color?

If he is a appaloosa he will I used to breed big appaloosas and I always said having an app was like having a new horse every year.

Latest posts

Back