Appendix Registry proposal heading to Vegas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what bothers me about AMHA. For example I have a 31.5" gelding. His sire is double registured. HIs darn could of been foundation oversized but the people we got her from didnt do it and when we got her it was to late. Thus just loseing her papers. But now if I wanted to get that gelding AMHA registured I would have to do that hardshiping thing. NOpe no thank you no way. I would love to see the gelding rate in both registures be alot cheaper then what it is. I think that would bring in alot of money as it is.

That said, I dont really get the point of this purposal. I have AMHA horses, but dont really deal with the registury, mainly for selling purposes so dont really care either way on this.

Ashley I agree I do wish that both registries would have sort of a open registration strictly for geldings that met size requirements say for 40 bucks and whatever it cost the owner to get them inspected or checked by a steward...

A little history--AMHR was begun a few years prior to AMHA(1972, 1978); owned, then and now, by the ASPC, the height limit chosen then was 34". There WAS no over 34"-through 38" designation in AMHR until a number of years later. AMHA also chose, and has kept, the single height limit of 34".

I have ALWAYS favored the idea of an 'Appendix' registry in AMHA; I moved a 34 1/2" mare I'd bought, and measured, into the Foundation Oversized division back in the late '80s-and have always felt it was a very short-sighted idea to end that division(it existed for a very limited time...??) I can see pros and cons to both Ronnie's and Julie's(R3's) stated proposals/positions;honestly, am conflicted about which I would fully support: I DO support the basic concept of an Appendix registry.

I don't feel that some should be so 'defensive' about AMHR horses. It is VERY likely that the VAST majority of both AMHA andAMHR registered horses came from (very similar)Shetland backgrounds; however, it is FACT that AMHA moved steadily toward stricter registration requirements(identifying photos, first blood tying, then DNAing), while AMHR, until very recently, was notably more 'casual' in its requirements-many people saw that as reason to gravitate to one registry or the other (those who believed that the strictness would mean, sooner or later, more reliable pedigrees-and/or liked the original height limit, liked A; some who didn't have any use for 'all of those rules', swung entirely to R-sometimes a strong belief in sticking only to BOTH registries' original designation of a 34" maximum height is a factor, sometimes, not....I have spoken to people of both positions.) The so-called 'elitism' comes from believing more in the organization with the stricter requirements--and personally, I have to agree--I have to have more respect for those kind of requirements. There are MANY things I haven't agreed with about the way both AMHA AND AMHR have done business over the 23 years I've had miniatures, but about this, I have no doubt. Now, today, there are many more serious and dedicated breeders/owners who have (even 34" and under)horses registered only AMHR, NOT because the horses weren't of JUST AS HIGH quality as in AMHA, but because some earlier breeder didn't want to be 'bothered' to comply with AMHA's tougher requirements! So, should these horses and their owners be penalized? It is a hard situation in all sorts of ways! I applaud that R is FINALLY toughening up its requirements! I absolutely agree, also, that the hardship fees for geldings in AMHA is unconscienably HIGH, and should be lowered.

I suspect MUCH of the reason why the size of offspring is often so unpredictable is that the early pedigrees, in BOTH registries, are so often completely unreliable. Heights were either 'guesstimated', or downright lied about; mares were run with several stallions, colors are STILL being incorrectly reported or described, etc.(things which I suspect are often STILL happening, BTW....yes, it will take awhile, but eventually, the various 'tougher' requirements of DNAing(and PQing, which should be automatic),and requiring GOOD photos, should make it more possible to actually be able to rely on pedigrees to help make breeding decisions, with a somewhat more predictable result. NEVER will it be fully predictable; anytime a single characteristic(in this case, HEIGHT) is the 'most important' one being bred for, there often can and will be unpredicable(and sometimes, undesirable)consequences.

Julie(R3)was ABSOLUTELY 'on point' when she stated that the stated aim in AMHA is to breed for the most correct, SMALLEST horse-NOT the best driving horse!! I love driving as much as anyone, and in fact, that is a big reason why I acquired, two years ago, a maximum, 38", R mare(honestly, I don't much care that she is registered; I wanted a horse with more power, yet still small enough that I could use the same driving vehicles for both it and my bigger A's(I have several HONEST 34"s, and just-under-34"s, driving horses.) However, I don't see wanting to drive as a valid reason for throwing out the 'breed' standards--and laxity in this regard will unquesionably lead back to taller and taller animals, IMO. Question is, is that what most Miniature horse breeders, owners, and users WANT?? Personally, I foresee a 'division' into the very small and the 'tall'(oversized horses are already being allowed to show, at the highest levels, whether most of you realize it or not....)-with few horses 'in between'....????Not what I want, but what I think may happen.....

Bottom line--unless and until the heights of ALL horses purported to be Miniatures, whether A - only sized, or 'over' R, are properly VERIFIED--AND owners, breeders, and the registries decide what they want to have--a BREED, or a HEIGHT REGISTRY- many of these issues will continue to be problematic......

Margo

There are a TON of Minis registered in A and R with Shetland backgrounds- not just a few famous ones.

Also, the POA is a height breed and they do not yank the papers on their oversized ponies. They are allowed to maintain them for breeding stock - everything except showing in the ring. Most of those of course are bred back to smaller stallions to keep the foals within the show size limit.

I see just as many 'unknown' pedigrees on AMHA horses as with AMHR horses, so I dont see what the deal is on that. Also AMHA didnt used to require DNA either, and they do NOT require that all foals be PQ'd, so how is running DNA on horses ensuring who the parents are unless a problem comes up?

Thank you Ronnie for your many many hours of research and work on this project. It is surely appreciated and it's nice to know that someone out there cares enough to put that much time into it all, and thinking about ways to better the breed and registry.

I agree that is an excellent post, Margo!

Susan O.

I would like to thank the people on all sides of this for voicing their beliefs and concerns so clearly and calmly.

I don't know what I think about this proposal, as I read through the opinions I find myself strongly swayed by the carefully and intelligently expressed opinions both for and against it. It's given me a LOT to think about.

You have made some very valid points, Margo! I agree with you 100%....and I'm sure many others do, as well.
default_yes.gif
:

Thank you for that very thought out, and eloquent post. :aktion033:

I have to ask this. I was not "into" minis back in the day that AMHA let the over 34" minis be foundation AMHA registered. I have seen some of these horses on websites and even though the dam is "over" the foals being sold are both AMHA/AMHR registered. I guess what I am asking is why this new purposal is any different then the "foundation" minis that are still being bred today? If people are against the over 34" (which I am not) why would they have these same horses in their breeding stock and producing foals that are admittedly going to go "over" but sell them with A and R papers?

Fran

Edited to add: It doesn't bother me that people are breeding the foundation minis. I am just curious how this is different from the new proposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is that? AMHR sure doesn't let AMHA horses in "at a reduced fee." If I remember correctly, wasn't it just 3 years ago that AMHR changed their fees, increasing the fees for AMHA horses to be registered through there? What's next? We let small Shetlands in, too?

Exactly!!!! I am all for allowing AMHR 34" and under horses into AMHA at a reduced fee! That would be good for AMHA and good for the industry!

I never post on this forum.. why.??.. I dont look very nice in a Flame suit..and if I want to get a whipping for how I believe.. I will go stand out in the ice cold Minnesota winter wind and let it BEAT ME! :eek: So I am not looking for any response..or for you to agree or disagree.. . I would just like the opportunity to express my thoughts and feelings that I have had for the past going on 20 years..

I love the idea of AMHA finally stepping up to the plate and taking responsibilty of their over 34 inch horses.. I think we should welcome them back with open arms!!!! Shame on us, for letting them down!!!! We as AMHA members can hardly look down upon the AMHR B horse as being inferior, because where do we think the large division of the B horse came from???? I believe it was created by our own throw away AMHA horses.. Some of our finest pedigrees make up that Gene pool.. We can thank the success of the B divison on the oversized AMHA horse.. I believe the B division was created by AMHA!!!!! The influx of the shetland in the B division only gained popularity within the last few years. If there hadnt been a AMHR B division, the AMHA members would have HAD to do something about the oversized horses along time ago.. What do you think would have happened to these hunderds and hundreds of oversized animals? Luckily, AMHR was standing there waiting to clean up our mess and take our MONEY>>> I have always listened to the mentality.. They can go into AMHR.. Well... like..??? why should AMHR be responsible for our horses that we breed..???????
default_wacko.png
: I believe, if the horse goes over size, we as its breeders, were the ones that made the mistakes in breeding..??????? Why should the horses loose their heritage and be punished?????. JUST THINK IF tomorrow AMHR would become a breed, and NO MORE AMHA horses harshipped into AMHR.. Where would the oversized AMHA horse go? They again would not be miniatures, they would only be grades.. Gee, I wonder what their lives would be destined to be, for the next 30 years they are alive as a grade nothin????.. I believe as a responsible breeder I need to remember every foal on the ground has to be cared for by me or someone else for the next 30 years. Its a rough life out there if you are a colt and you are tall.. Almost a death sentence!!!
default_sad.png
I believe we need to start making choices on what avenues are the best for these horses we as breeders are responsible for creating... and quit worrying about our own agendas...

Yeah!!!! Stacy you made an excellent point... the dog world is soooo far ahead of us in the mentality of breeding miniatures.. I have tried to use some of their concepts.. we could take so many lessons from them... I see so much fear in our organizations that it doesnt enable them to step out of the box and do what is best for the horses..

Thank you to... horse dude.. This is MY 13th Wonder of the World.... How does this work???? How one can breed a miniature horse to a miniature horse and you possibly end up with a horse that is not a miniature horse???? I will never be able to accept that concept.... Even in the colored horse breeds they are kept as breeding stock.. !!!

I believe the appendix is a step forward.. I applaud Ronnie and the AMHA membership for looking towards the future of the miniature horse.. I personally dont think that the section on breeding a AMHR horse to a AMHA horse was a good move at these early stages.. I hope it doesnt sabotage the proposal.. This is a big change for everyone and we need to take it in baby steps so everyone is comfortable with it.. I think we need to first go after our horses that have been revoked for one reason or another.. When you check out the AMHA stud book you just HAVE to wonder......... WHERE are ALL these horses?????

I truly Believe the betterment of the miniature horse is in our hands.. Their future is at our mercy.. I know we all are breeding for that PERFECT horse... Perfect size, perfect conformation, perfect type.. but what we need to be more concerned about is..... the NON perfect ones that are on this earth because of our stupidity.. there are more unperfect horses in this world that we need to be held accountable for... it isnt their faults we put them on this earth.. somehow in all of our agendas...... the horse is that last to be considered.. :no:

Thanks for allowing me to share my opinions and beliefs.. Angie Sauer/buckonranch :saludando:

Excellent points,and eloquently stated, Angie--a post that Ronnie should have had to take with him to the Convention.....

Margo

Excellent points,and eloquently stated, Angie--a post that Ronnie should have had to take with him to the Convention.....
WELL said Angie!!! I agree with Margo...this is definately a thought provoking letter worthy of being read at Convention!! :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
Angie the great thing about what you wrote well one of them anyway.. was that I can see you standing there full of passion as you say it (sorry wont go with the naked in the snow image)
default_wacko.png
: :bgrin

You make wonderful points and say what I think well at least I know I have been trying to say only of course you make more sense.

Really you should post here more often

Latest posts

Back