appaloosa question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessj

Reaction score
I just posted this on Darlas foaling thread, but thought that I would post it as a new topic in case you know the answer but don't read her thread! She is ready to foal any day now, and i was originally told that her foal was sired by an appaloosa...but as it turns out it was actually sired by a pinto. I adore an appy and was really disappointed. I have noticed this several times, but it never really clicked in my brain until today. She has mottled skin on her lips. Isnt it true that only appys have mottled skin??? And if that is so, does that mean that I still have a chance at a spotted baby? This is my girl and her spotty lips! Let me know what you think!

color1.jpg

color2.jpg

color3.jpg

lip1.jpg

Without knowing if she has an app parent or background, I'm going to guess that she is not showing appaloosa characteristics, sorry. Look at her genitals and anus and see if there is mottling there. That is a more definitive sign of an appaloosa.

That sounds like there is the possibility then, that she has app characteristics. I would check her pedigree out.

The silver modifier can also cause mottling and striped hooves. I don't see silver in her, but I wouldn't rule it out. She also appears to have sabino roaning. I'm not an expert enough to determine which genes may be causing the mottling. There are others on this forum which have more experience than I do in the genetics of color.

If you can afford it, you should consider having her color tested. I don't think the LP gene (appaloosa gene) is being offered yet, but you could test her for sabino and silver.

One mare was sent to be bred to my app stallion that the owner stated had app characteristics. But she was actually silver and the mottling and striped hooves were due to the silver.

Your mare is a pinto, and looks like her spot is very roany, so quite possibly sabino, and that can cause the speckling of the skin. Her striped hoof would be due to the white coronet babd, I am guessing. Just from seeing her, I would think she's likely not appy.

Thanks for your help...i was really reaching for an appy foal!!! She is a grade mare and the only reason she is bred now, is because she came to me that way. Way too many minis out there, and I don't plan to breed her again. She has lots of roaning, so most likely a sabino...Thanks again for all of your help!! She really is a very pretty mare, and my daughter wants to show her in some open pony classes next year!

I am not at all sure that is Pinto- it may be just a somatic spot, similar to "Bloody Shoulder" marks that you get on Greys, most usually Arabs.

I agree thought that there is Sabino in there, I do not see Appy, sorry!

Nice mare, though, find yourself a Fewspot and get your Appy foal for sure....

Silver dapples also have mottled skin and striped hooves... I dont see any white sclera around her eyes or anything to indicate an Appy here.

Back