Appaloosa breeding question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hafpints

Reaction score
I have a question for the appaloosa breeders in the group. What is the strategy for getting appaloosa foals? Say I have a leopard appaloosa stallion do I also need appaloosa bred mares to get the appaloosa pattern? Please let me know of any tips I understand the pinto pattern appaloosa is all new to me. I just want to make sure I breed him to the right mares. Thank you for any advise April

Weeelll Appy isn't nearly as black and white as the pinto patterns - pun not intended. They are a bit more complicated, and significantly less reliable. You can breed two leopards together and get a solid. I believed that happened to someone on the forum just recently...
default_wacko.png

Snowcaps and fewspots (I believe it's snowcap, anyway, been a while since I really looked into it) are known to be homozygous, so they will always throw an appy gene, whereas leopards/blankets aren't... so if your stud is a leopard, if you want a 100% chance of getting an appy, breed him to a fewspot/snowcap. If the mare is another homozygous pattern or has characteristics, you have a good chance, but even with a solid mare he could still produce some color, just not as definite a chance.

My stallion is a varnish pintaloosa, his mom was a snowcap. I'll be breeding him this year to 2 pintos and a mare with appy characteristics - mottling and sclera. I'm not expecting much in the way of appy babies from the pintos, but hoping for one from the minimal appy girl. Her sire was a very flashy snowflake appaloosa stallion.

Now I'm not entirely sure the difference in how one can get the white blanketing versus the dark spots, it seems to be a crapshoot. I'm guessing it's either an incomplete dominant gene, multiple modifiers, or some combination of the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex pretty much hit the nail on the head, especially the "crapshoot/luck of the draw".. However, even breeding to a homozygous (snowcap/fewspot), you're not guaranteed color, they can still produce a "solid" foal, BUT it will have characteristics and more than likely color out with time..

I don't have a whole lot of experience with breeding for appy.....but what Alex posted is basically what I've been advised by long time appy and horse breeders.......

default_biggrin.png
However, if you do some research on here you will discover some die-hard appy breeders who can probably share their knowledge.

The only thing I can say for certain with appys and getting color is, If I breed it, the foal WILL be solid. I have a showcap and I do not know what she was bred to but she had a solid. He may have colored out later but He was sold at 6 months. I don't know on him. My second mare to foal has characteristics. She was bred to a blanketed stud. The resulting foal turns 3 on July 17th. He may have some color under there this year. I am not sure. But like I said, if I breed it, it will be solid.

Katiean, I feel I will have the same issue as you b/c that is always how it works for me.

Thanks for all the info.

April

It's a crap shoot. I have heard that pintos seem to 'activate' the appy gene. I bred my extended blanket app to an app and got an app (unfortunately cord was wrapped around hind legs and foal was aborted). I bred him to an app characteristic (twice) and got solids - outside mare that I believe was actually a silver chestnut and those 'app' characteristics were silver characteristics instead. Bred him to a solid and got a solid. Bred him to a pinto and got a pintaloosa.

Sharman of the now retired Thousand Oaks Ranch got some of her best apps breeding her app stallion to a pinto mare. Maybe Sharman will pipe in here.

Splash and Sabino are thought to "help" Appy express, but it is not guarantee.

There are a lot of theories floating around about Appy inheritance, and if you go to

http://www.appaloosaproject.info/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=1&MMN_position=5:5

and introduce yourself and have a look around, I think it would be well worth your while.

Keep and open mind, none of these theories is proven yet, but they are pretty close to mapping at least one Appy gene.

H/Z Appy will always give you Appy, but, as with H/Z Pinto, it may be in minimal expression, and it may take a while to show!!

Just hang in there, keep your mind open, and learn!!

As an Appaloosa owner since 1973 and breeding both full sized, a couple of POA and Minis..... the genes run just like anything else. In my opinion, and from what I have seen, the more you dilute them, the less chance you have of getting color.

I breed Appy to Appy, and am trying to find them that have several generations behind them. (With the Minis, good luck in that). I do not have a homozygous stallion at this time, which would be a snowcap (approximately 97% color producers), a fewcap or a fewspot (approx 99% color producers)

And yes, this is the problem... everything regarding Appaloosa colors and what sparks them off are based on theory. There are no tests to seperate all the patterns and what to what makes what, etc.... The two people that have put the most time and effort and FIRST HAND experience at this is Gene Carr and Bob Lapp. They have written several articles over the years and their theories still stand true. They have decades of work at this and have not been proven wrong yet. Their theories are based on actual fact and trial and error breeding, studying pedigrees and horses, and have been breeding for decades themselves.

With pintos, unless a parent is homozygous, you can also breed two pintos and get a solid. I would not say that Appaloosas are any more prone to anything different. I have seen some horses with relatively LITTLE Appy in their background and nothing more than characteristics being bred to a non Appy and produce loud color.

Just like breeding for height, it is 'luck'- and a crap shoot, but remember that what you get at birth might not be what the horse looks like in a year or six years! Unlike a pinto that what you are born with is what you get for life, LOL

For those not that familiar with what is considered 'colored', if the horse is born with the required 'characteristics', it is considered 'colored'. (Striped hooves, sclera and mottled skin) It also, of course, must have Appy in the pedigree, as I have seen non Appy silver dapples, etc... with freckled skin or striped hooves, etc... I guess it would be compared to the pintos with minimal color or that are basicly solid with a blaze but still test positive for LWO, etc... ???

Yes, I bred two LOUD colored horses and got a 'solid' foal from the pair- however she does have characteristics so also has the possibility of developing a roan or snowflake coat pattern as well, but is already considered an Appaloosa. Roans are usually born solid, as are snowflakes. I have two foals this year, actually, that were born with characteristics but no visible coat pattern at birth... however I am relatively sure that something will develope with time. Since they do have the required characteristics however, they are still considered Appaloosa and carry the genetics to make a loud baby also.

Years ago when we had the full sized ones, we obtained a couple of top quality mares for a much cheaper price because they did not have loud color, they only had characteristics (ha, one colored out the next year at five years old!) but they produced very loud colored foals, including some snowcaps. In fact, in the years of breeding the full sized ones, only had one solid foal with no characteristics from a non characteristic mare. Even our QH mares produced color with a non homozygous stallion, but he was heavily Appy bred and not 15/16ths QH like you see on many today.

Nobody has the answers, there are no guarantees, but even when a snowcap, fewcap or fewspot has a 'solid', if it has characteristics, it is still considered 'colored', as those horses CAN and DO produce loud colored foals!

I have hear that those involved in the Project are no closer to an answer, and again are going still by theories. I dont know that we'll see an answer in my lifetime!

We had our first experience with appy breeding this year - bred a little red roan mare to a black blanket app stallion and got a black blanket app filly. She did not get out of the sac and we will repeat the breeding, I suppose we have a 50/50 chance of the same results.

Jan

To me that is part of the fun and challenge of breeding for appaloosa color, you never know what you will get! And no matter what the color, I've never been disappointed in a foal!
default_smile.png
I choose quality horses first, so no matter what color or pattern I end up with, it's a good horse.

Of course Confirmation is the most important quality, but I would like some fun coloring bred in too. Thanks for all the input, keep it coming if there is anything else that will help.

Thanks

April

Latest posts

Back