AOTE Rules

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AOTE is, and continues to be one of the most controversial divisions that AMHA offers....

This was my first year as an Amateur. During my last year as a youth, I could't wait to be done with it so that I could be eligible to show in a class where I could be in a level playing field, among other "do it yourself" exhibitors...... the AOTE classes.

The Youth classes are open to any Youth, whether they did everything with the horses or were handed the leadropes of a horse from a trainer.

The regular Amateur division is Open to any Amateur whether they do everything or get the lead handed to them by a trainer.

The Open division is open to anyone

and the AOTE division is for Amateurs who Own, Train and Exhibit their horses... as well as grooming, which includes clipping.

I enjoy showing in the AOTE division, knowing that I am showing with amateurs, like myself, who do everything themselves.... Something that you can't get in The Open division, the Youth division or the regular amateur division.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to point out one thing. If you define "family" as members living in a house hold, you will loose a lot of exhibitors. if you aren't careful about the way you word it. Let me give you an example.

My parents entire show string is usually all AOTE horses. My sister still enjoys the horses, but does not live with my parents and is not in a position to have horses of her own. She comes to the show, and brings her daughter. My sister shows some of the Amateur classes, and her daughter shows in the costume and leadline classes, and as she gets older will likely show more youth classes. My brother also comes to some of the shows, and while he has no desire to show himself, his daughter loves the horses and shows in multiple youth classes. His family does not live in my parent's house hold. If you define AOTE as a house hold then you would be telling my parents that they have to either give up AOTE or not allow their 2 & 3 year old grand daughters they can't show the horse, or brush the horse, etc. because they don't live with them.

You would have to word it very carefully and specify that the person leading the horse in the AOTE class was in the same household as the person doing the caregiving, training, grooming etc. but that other family members could still show the horses in other none AOTE classes.

But at the same time how would you handle a situation where say, the horse is owned by the parents, and lives with them, but the daughter comes to their house on a regular basis to work the horse, groom etc. And say the mother also works the horse, grooms etc. they take turns. Then who's house hold would be considered the AOTE household? If both are doing the work and one is AOTE level 1 and the other is AOTE level 2, both doing the work, but not in the same household?

I do understand your concern, I think it would be wrong for some random 3rd cousin to show up at a show and walk a horse they've never seen in to an AOTE class. But there is no way to come up with a rule to prevent that, that wouldn't also prevent the 3rd cousin who comes to the barn everyday and works the horse from being AOTE either. We just have to rely on people being honest about doing the work and who's showing.

I just cant shut up
default_smile.png

If you read aote rules about family 3rd cousin is not included and there is no mention of first cousins either.

a. The horse exhibited by the AOTE must be trained, conditioned,

groomed and shown by the AOTE or a nonprofessional

family member (spouse, mother, father,

brother, sister, niece, nephew, son, daughter, grandchild,

grandparent, legal ward, in-laws, step children,

step parents, step siblings) in all divisions entered.

I personally like the rule the way it stands now about family. Please dont think its because it benefits me personally, because it doesnt I do it all and show my own horses. I see the benefit for others. But whatever the rules are I will follow them.

Unless I can get my husband in there to show next year!!

Ashley,

Personally, my feeling on this is that if your parents are letting extended family members, or family members outside the household show their horses, they SHOULD give up AOTE.

Just my opinion, Ammy should be left open to extended family and/or co ownerships when it comes to showing, AOTE should be restricted to one household only, when it comes to showing.

Ashley,
Personally, my feeling on this is that if your parents are letting extended family members, or family members outside the household show their horses, they SHOULD give up AOTE.

Just my opinion, Ammy should be left open to extended family and/or co ownerships when it comes to showing, AOTE should be restricted to one household only, when it comes to showing.
I'm not trying to argue but, I really don't see children and grandchildren as extended family. And why give up AOTE because a 3 year old showed the same horse at a show or two? How is she going to really change the horse?

I am not effected by the rule at all being a trainer myself, but I like it the way it is as far as family. It is a benifit for our memebers who show horses as a hobby not a business and work as a family to be able to do it. It allows for more members to join and show without the expense and obligation of each individual having to own their own specific horse in order to participate, and instead can share with the family and enjoy and participate on a more level playing field with others who's family's (or an individual) do the work instead of using a professional.

I do also understand the concerns of those who do the horses as an individual, not a family, and have difficulty do to health or injury in clipping their horses. I am torn on this issue as I think clipping is part of grooming and also part of AOTE, but at the same time when unexpected circumstances, such as injury right before the show come up, there needs to be some leway. I know several people that show AOTE and come to shows by themselves, then there is no family memeber to help in a situation where that person can't complete the clipping on their own. I don't really know of a good solution to police it and make sure someone really needs the help, perhaps send in a doctor's note to AMHA requesting permission to have help clipping for the amount of time the doctor suggests? Its a tough situation, and I can see both sides of the argument.

I personally understand the genuine concerns expressed when one has physical issues to contend with to prepare a horse. I encourage those of you who fall into this category to try and brainstorm accomodations you can make at home if you want to do AOTE-- for example- I use a horse salon to put my horse in to lessen the risk of being injured.

For those who may suddenly become ill or injured right before a show and have no family to show for them, those things happen and it is unfortunate. There most likely will be a next time. And, yes, it has happened to me and there was another time. Certainly I was disappointed, but I also had something to look forward to in the future.

I love AOTE just the way it is- it challenges me and is very rewarding. There are other classes, such as AMMY, for those who chose not to do the work themselves, for whatever reason. I felt I needed help with one of my horses this year, so I opted out of AOTE part way through the year with one horse and showed in the Ammy and Open classes. I kept one other horse as AOTE. I think it is nice to have options.

Here is my 2009 AOTE horse - she also took AMHA World Reserve Champion in the SN Showing a Mare/Gelding, showing against professionally trained horses. This was one of my 'next times'.....

http://albahurst.com/wp-content/uploads/20...ins-300x240.jpg

I think I have a good question for this thread: I do everything myself and I qualify for this division. However, I am SERIOUSLY thinking about putting one of my horses with a professional trainer at the end of this year or at the beginning of next year and I might show it while it is with the trainer AND I am thinking about trying to show one of my horses at home (that has never been with a professional trainer) myself. Would I still qualify for AOTE with the horse that stays at home? Or, would sending any horse that belongs to me to a professional trainer knock me out of AOTE altogether? More food for thought...
default_wacko.png

You can have 10 minis with a pro for training just as long as your AOTE mini is not with one for that year there's no problem.

default_thumbup.gif
You go Peggy!

We've followed your career from almost being unable to LEAD a horse to being an AOTE winner! Kudos to you and you are one of many wonderful examples of what the miniature horse is all about.

Determination and a love of the little horses got you there, didn't it?

Charlotte

I think I have a good question for this thread: I do everything myself and I qualify for this division. However, I am SERIOUSLY thinking about putting one of my horses with a professional trainer at the end of this year or at the beginning of next year and I might show it while it is with the trainer AND I am thinking about trying to show one of my horses at home (that has never been with a professional trainer) myself. Would I still qualify for AOTE with the horse that stays at home? Or, would sending any horse that belongs to me to a professional trainer knock me out of AOTE altogether? More food for thought...
default_wacko.png

The AOTE status is based on the horse. You have to be an Amateur to do AOTE , but the horse determines whether it is AOTE or not. You have to own and have the horse in your posession as of Jan 1 of the year you want to do AOTE. A trainer can not train, condition, groom, etc. the horse from that point on. You can have as many horses as you want with a trainer, as long as the horse you want to do AOTE with has not been with the trainer. You can have the horse with a trainer until December 31, as long as it is home before January 1 it is an AOTE horse.

The AOTE status is based on the horse. You have to be an Amateur to do AOTE, but the horse determines whether it is AOTE or not. You have to own and have the horse in your posession as of Jan 1 of the year you want to do AOTE. A trainer can not train, condition, groom, etc. the horse from that point on. You can have as many horses as you want with a trainer, as long as the horse you want to do AOTE with has not been with the trainer. You can have the horse with a trainer until December 31, as long as it is home before January 1 it is an AOTE horse.
Hey, thank you for that great explanation!

So, a horse that is used for AOTE could be with a trainer (in the past)? Huh.

Thank you for your kind comments, Charlotte! My little horses are sure a blessing
default_smile.png

Peggy

I have to give Kudos to Peggy also. She does an awesome job of fitting conditioning clipping all of the to dos and over comes many many obstacles. Funny I never hear her complain!

Hugs Peggy!

Latest posts

Back