Anyone know how long a maiden mare should stand for a stallion?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spottedminis45107

Reaction score
I have a maiden mare that we started breeding last week.(Tuesday)..she was a real bear to start but got the hang of it and excepted the stallion on her own a few days later...she has now been standing for about 8/9 days....anyone have an idea on when she would stop excepting him? or should i go ahead and take her away?im kind of

confused over this.
default_wacko.png
...is it normal for a maiden to stand longer her first

breeding...?or is she just being a fluze....(sp)lol...any info or advice on what i should do.......... also if you might recognize my pintaloosa stallion....please let me know....

ace.JPG

It is not any of the first few days that count, it makes no difference how long you mare has been bred, if she has not ovulated she will not get in foal, and she does not ovulate until the last day or so of season.

After she has ovulated she will go off season.

Leave her with the stallion until she is no longer receptive, there is no time limit on these things.

If she goes on over two weeks I might think of having her looked at by the Vet, but it is unlikely that this is any more than a hiccup.

There was a thread on here recently about this - not just maidens, but the longest that mares have stayed in heat. I think the record (on that thread) was 42 days and not sure if that mare got bred, but a few said they had mares that got in foal on heats of 15-16 days or so. But you have to keep breeding.

We just went through a 15 day heat with one of ours, kept breeding every other day, and it looks from US like she is in foal.

A couple of years ago, one of my maiden mares could not get enough!!!!! The poor stallion was trying to find a place to hide from her.

The trouble is mares have two ovaries, so they can be pregnant in one horn and ovulating still in the other, it is rare but it can happen, they can also, technically, get pregnant in both horns, but this would normally result in a termination.

One of my mares was in season all the way through one season cycle and into the next, so yes, that would be 42 days all told.

She did get in foal!!!

Latest posts

Back