Anyone in Alberta

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
A couple of my friends and I are moving to Alberta next year, I'm going to school and the other two have jobs lined up, but we are trying to figure out how much it's going to cost. We have a rough idea for apartments but how much do utilities usually run? Just a rough estimate.

It really depends where you live and how many people you live with. In Edmonton a two bedroom apartment will run around $1250 downtown. Utilities just depend on your usage etc. What school will you be going to? Best thing about Alberta is the mini people!

Last edited by a moderator:
We've been looking at apartments and townhouses for rent between calgary and Red Deer, I'm going to be going to school at Olds College so I'm pretty excited. Leaving my 2 boys in Nova Scotia while I'm gone that's the only thing that makes me really sad about moving away for a couple years. As soon as I see a mini farm out that way I'm probably going to stop in to get my fix. I love the little guys to death.

I went to Olds College for Equine Science years ago (paging Kendra!) ... why not stay in Olds itself? Trust me - on bad snowy days in winter (or - 40 days) you do not want to be going up and down the highway. Or worrying about your vehicle starting. Being able to walk to class is the best idea. Did you check out the housing lists on the college website?

Off Campus ... many opportunities there - I would check it out in the spring to try and get something you like for the fall.

Or on campus... if you stay in Frank Grisdale Hall you can ask for a quiet more "adult" floor to avoid the partying areas. That was what I did - until I became a RA and had to live on the party floor to help maintain law and order!
default_wink.png

After one year in the Res you can move out to the townhouses...

On Campus

BWAH!! - I just noticed that they are still using some of my drawings from the Residence Handbook I did mumblety years ago!!

I would HIGHLY recommend that you stay somewhere in the immediate vicinity of Olds. Even the 45 minute trip to Red Deer can be a PITA in bad weather...
default_yes.gif

What are you taking at Olds? I second Tag's recommendation that you stay in the town of Olds - I lived in res for my first year (asked for a "medium" floor and ended up in party central - and loved every minute of it!
default_wink.png
) and then in the townhouses second year. The town houses are really nice, were brand new when I was there.

A friend of my brother's had a great place off campus in Olds (much more recent history than my days in Olds, maybe 2 years ago), and several of my friends lived in apartments off campus in the town of Olds when I was there.

It's getting very close to 10 years since I graduated ... wow, I'm getting old! ;-)

We do have a large and active Miniature Horse family in Alberta - I'm sure you'll be able to get your fix!

Latest posts

Back