Anyone have this happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeniemac

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal.

My 32 inch 7 y/o mare foaled 2 years ago but had a c-section, Lost the baby. After advice from 3 vets and 2 trainers/breeder I decided to breed her for this year to a 28 inch fine boned stallion. She took..She swelled..She has milk. Two months ago was the last time I saw any movement from the foal.

Yesterday all day, the mare was doing butt scratching,laying down ,getting up acting like she had colic but without the rolling..My guess was she was close even though the test strips put her at 6.2. Temp 100

I gave her some probias and after the hail storm at 4 am she quit doing all of that..

Today she was off her food, passing in and out of her stall into her run..so I called the vet ..He came out this afternoon and said he couldn't find a baby.

He did a vaginal and a rectal but forgot the ultra sound machine so tomorrow I have to take her to an associate to get that done..Temp 99

I know there was a fetus as I saw it kick the fire out of her on more than one occasion but that was 2 months ago. She is up in an 1/4 acre by my house and I search the area everyday for any "bodies" for the past month.. no bodies that don't belong there..

She would be 331 days in foal today.

THANKYOU TO EVERYONE THAT REPLYED.

I GUESS I JUST NEEDED TO KNOW SOMEONE ELSE HAD THIS HAPPEN . THAT IT MAY HAVE BEEN ANYTHING I DID OR DIDN'T DO FOR HER...

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see how a vet could "miss" a 331 day fetus...
default_unsure.png

I dont see how a vet could "miss" a 331 day fetus...
default_unsure.png
ME EITHER..IF I DID THIS RIGHT HERE IS A PHOTO OF HER ONE MONTH AGO

IMG_0045.JPG

This mare was carrying a foal..She has been under my nose and in a confined space for 3 months. This photo was taken a month ago..She doesn't look like this now she is more rounded..but how can she not be carrying a foal?

Last edited by a moderator:
This year I watched a mare that gave every indication she was pregnant both physically and behaviorally. She had been confirmed early last year, but I'm guessing she lost it shortly afterward when the fetus would have been tiny enough to overlook. In any case, as a result of my feeding her like she was pregnant for the last several months, she was looking pretty pregnant by her "due" date. I walked her past a stallion every single day for over two months without her showing heat. Toward the end of my watching her, she had a couple nights where she was extremely uncomfortable and I thought she was approaching foaling, and then she came into heat, so I wonder if she wasn't just uncomfortable because of her cycle. It was a bummer, but it happens, and she's since vet-checked clear (and gone on a diet). Still, I hope they find your foal on the ultrasound!

Let me start by saying she's adorable. I am just learning so I cant comment on pregnant/not pregnant or what might have happened but I just want to say that the little mare I have on MARE STARE now has a belly like your mare even when she is not pregnant. I purchased her 4 yrs. ago and thought boy I cant wait to worm her and maybe the belly would go away...not...new diet, exercise, vet has examined her nothing wrong...just a big belly and always looks preggo. Now that she is bred she is really huge but my point being that IMO some mares just dont loose much of thier baby bellies. Im sorry your vet doesnt think your little one is pregnant....but hey miracles can happen maybe your vet was just having a messed up day!!....Boy she's cute...lovely long thick tail!

What a lovely little mare!

I know you say that you have been watching her like a hawk, but could she have slipped it outside recently and some 'preditor' have got in and carted the fetus away immediately? It does happen, although I think you would have noticed that your mare had suddenly lost weight!

I also cannot see how a vet could miss feeling a foal at the stage she is at, without the need for untra sound, you may just have to face the fact that she is having a false pregnancy?

Best of luck, please let us know what happens.

Anna

I am afraid I agree with Anna. One of my mares lost her foal at 10 months and I noticed as soon as I walked into the field that she was skinny so I went and looked for the foal, it was in the far corner of the field. I think you would have noticed too if she had slipped hers.

Sending hugs

I had this happen back in 2007 with a much larger mare bred to a small stallion. She was confirmed in foal early, got bigger (but not huge), bagged up on schedule, her milk went from clear to milky white (and then stopped), she was on Mare Stare, etc. All this time she never came in heat, a month before her due date she acted like you describe for your cute mare - almost colicky - which I thought was the foal changing position, we were sure we felt the foal move, etc. I finally had an external US that showed no baby and within a half hour of that SHE CAME INTO HEAT for the first time in 11 months! Guess I could have saved some money if I had waited a little while for the US! Hoping your vet was wrong...mine said the US wasn't 100%, but the coming back into heat was pretty clear.

I had this happen to me in February of this year. Mare was Huge in october, saw foal movement the whole thing, at 330 days she was noticeably smaller in the belly, udder would go up and down up and down so I took her and had her checked there was no baby in there. Now I had some family stuff going on and probably missed her passing it. I do have to say the vets tried really hard to find it but there was nothing there to find.

Karen

I sold a mare bred last March. The new owner had her vet check her both external US and palpating her. He said no foal, no way. She was mad as heck but I assured her she was in foal. 3 months later she had the most gorgeous colt my stallion has produced yet.

Maybe the vet was scared to reach in too far and didnt go in far enough to feel anything? I know we had US done on 3 mares 2 years ago and one of the foals, which was the farthest along, didnt move at all when they did the US, but she could tell by the shapes that it was there. She also said some vets really have a hard time seeing whats on the screen if they arent seeing much movement. It takes lots of practice.

Marsha

HEY ALL THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK..

I HAD HER US AND SHE IS DEFFINATLY NOT PREGO..

SO I WILL ONLY HAVE 3 THIS YEAR. 2 MORE TO GO...

DON'T FEEL BAD FOR US AS THIS WAS A BITTER SWEET BREEDING..I HAVE MISSED ALL MY SHOWS WORRING ABOUT HER SO NOW THAT I KNOW FOR SURE SHE WILL GO BACK OUT TO PASTURE TO BE A GRANDMAMMA TO THE OTHERS...EVERY FOAL SHOULD HAVE A GRANDMA..SHE WAS MY FIRST "SHOW " MARE AND TOP TEN'ED AND HONOR ROLLED FOR 3 YEARS SO SHE'S EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE LEFT ALONE..LOL

ON THE UP SIDE..

POSTON MINIATURE FARM HAD A B/W FILLY APPY BORN LAST NIGHT. SHSSSSSSS ,SECRET..

SHE WILL PROBABLY BE GOING TO THE NATIONALS SO I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL THE SUPRISE...

BUT SHE IS GOURGIOUS...JUST HOPE SHE STAYS THAT WAY.YOU KNOW HOW APPYS DO..

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.

IT WAS HEARTING TO KNOW SHE WAS NOT THE ONLY MARE TO DO THIS TO THEIR MOMMAS...I JUST CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHERE THE BABY WENT..SHE WAS STALLED AT NIGHT AND WAS ON A DRYLOT DURING THE DAY IF SOMETHING DRAGGED IT OFF THEY HAD TO BE QUICK..ANYWAY..ITS GONE THE MARE IS GREAT ..AND I CAN GET SOME SLEEP BEFOR THE NEXT ONE.

Thanks for the up date - sorry there wont be a foal, but perhaps it is for the best. So glad you will be keeping her, bet she will love being a Grandma to the little ones.
default_yes.gif

Good luck with your next two foalings.

Anna

Thanks for the up date - sorry there wont be a foal, but perhaps it is for the best. So glad you will be keeping her, bet she will love being a Grandma to the little ones.
default_yes.gif

Good luck with your next two foalings.

Anna
THANKS ANNA. SHE IS VERY STRICT AND WILL TEACH THEM REALLY GOOD SOCIAL MANNERS IN A STURN BUT LOVING WAY..NOW SHE CAN DO WHAT SHE DOES BEST ..BOSS ALL THE OTHERS AROUND..
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back