Anyone have an Audobon Bird Book handy???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Meant to tell you all about this when it happened.....I think it was a week ago today - Monday, Jan.2, incase that means something. Larry and I were driving around doing errands and as we were coasting between one stop light to another, we were both startled by a very small bird. It came fluttering down to the car and landed on my outside passenger rearview mirror, looked straight into the window at me (we made eye contact) .....mind you the car was still moving!

Then, it seemed to lose its footing and as it started fluttering again, it hovered for a split second and tipped its head down so I could see the marking on it. Then the little thing flew away. Both Larry and I made exclamations out loud and remarked about its head.

Neither of us has seen a bird like it before. We live in Central Oregon. It was the size and body-type of a chickadee. It's base color was gray with just a slight hint of gray-green. The eyes were small and black with no markings around and the beak was very small, black, and pointed. Its one outstanding marking was almost like a round blood-spot on the very top of the head.....you couldn't miss it. It was very defined. It didn't merge or blend into the other color around it, like a red-headed finch does.

We have always kept bird feeders out where ever we've lived, and we've never seen one like that before...........Any ideas??? (Our bird books are packed away in storage!)

MA

Have my birdbook handy and I "think" what you described is a Ruby- Crowned Kinglet

It says, kinglets are part of the old world warbler family(pretty singers). Says it often hovers briefly, and has a habit of flicking it's wings. Males have the ruby crown.Small, drab body color and thin bills....very active and love insects.

MA try googling and see if the pic of this bird matches your description.

Sounds Cool what ever kind of bird it was
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back