Anyone have a concealed carry license?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the CCW Reciprocity web site. They will tell you what states recognize what permits. All states are a little different in what is required to be covered in classes and each instructor has their personal opinions to add. The web site also has a trip planner and other helpful things.
Awesome site! Thanks for telling me!

"Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I'm what's known as "prey." All females are."

I can't imagine going thro life considering myself a victim.
default_no.gif
I can't either! That's why I never intend to be one if I can help it. And as long as I'm armed, and a bad situation arises, I will protect myself at all costs.

I have a lot of really close canadian friends. I've been to their homes in Canada many times and they've been to my home in Wisconsin. And while we are so similar, there are just differences that will never be understood on either side. Canadians simply cannot fathom or understand what our heritage and history mean to us, and this is because canadians never fought a revolution for Independence. They signed some papers. We americans were guaranteed the right to carry arms because in Colonial days the British were taking firearms from the citizenry and locking them up in armories. If americans had not been armed, we would NOT have gained our independence.

I have discussed this concept many times with my canadian friends and they simply do not get it. This is not meant to offend you. It's simply my perspective as an american with canadian friends. Since canadians are not allowed to carry firearms, they really feel that's the best way for a citizenry to be, but to the average american, being stripped of firearms leaves many of us feeling helpless, and at the mercy of any evil government which should happen to take over.

And with our constitutional guarantee of the right to carry arms, that SHOULD mean we can also carry a concealed weapon, but it's taken some states far to long to accept that. I remember back in 1984 when a man crashed into a McDonald's restaurant years ago and began shooting and killed 21 people. If bad people have guns, good people should have them, too. And I also remember when a woman who was at that restaurant during the shooting had her two parents killed, and she testified before Congress and said that if she had been given a permit to carry a concealed weapon, maybe she could have shot that madman before he shot her parents.

Victims are created every day. No, you don't consider yourself one. But you *are* potential prey, whether you realize it or not. The world is full of predators. What if you are getting into your car in a dark parking lot and a man jumps you and puts his arm around your neck and a knife to your throat? If it were me, I would always have my hand on my gun in a potentially unsafe situation, and at least I'd have a fighting chance. And if someone is holding me with a knife to my throat, you can bet the farm that I'd put a bullet in him before I'd let myself *become* a victim, and I'd take my chances in court with a jury of my peers if he should survive and sue me.

You asked us here to "help you understand this." I don't think anyone can help you understand it if you are the product of a culture that has been raised with the idea that a citizenry should not be armed. I can't understand the concept of an unarmed citizenry. I can NOT understand how anyone in Canada is OK with the idea that criminals have guns but the good people are not allowed to have them or defend themselves. Can you help me understand THAT? No, you can't, because it's simply incomprehensible to the culture I grew up in. We just have to accept the differences between our cultures and celebrate the similarities!

I have discussed this concept many times with my canadian friends and they simply do not get it. This is not meant to offend you. It's simply my perspective as an american with canadian friends. Since canadians are not allowed to carry firearms, they really feel that's the best way for a citizenry to be, but to the average american, being stripped of firearms leaves many of us feeling helpless, and at the mercy of any evil government which should happen to take over.
This is so true--Canadians in general (there are a few exceptions) do think that it is wrong for individuals to carry guns, wrong for people to have guns for the purpose of protecting their homes. I live in Canada but I am American by birth & I guess still American in my thinking even after all these years of living up here. My friends here simply don't agree with me when I say that I believe we should be allowed to carry guns, to use guns to protect ourselves. One friend said that Americans have guns & they still have crime--I said yes, of course there is still crime. Another friend gets quite indignant & says that if the average person carries a gun it just means that more people get shot. One--a man--was horrified to think that if I could carry a gun I would. He said nothing is worth dying for. I told him that's true, and that's why I should be allowed to carry a gun--because I have no intention of being the one to die, it would be the other person, the one who tries to assault me. But, they just don't get it. They cannot fathom the idea that one should be able to protect oneself. This male friend counts on the belief that "it isn't likely to happen to me so why would I need protection?" That's a concept that I don't believe in.

Right now our local crime rate is soaring (Brandon is bad enough, Winnipeg is even worse) and I believe that a good part of the problem is there are no repercussions for offenders. Youths mostly get a slap on the wrist and are set free to do it again. Adults get minor sentences in far too many cases... I believe that if these offenders knew that when they do a home invasion there's a very good chance they will be met by the business end of a gun held by a homeowner who is willing to shoot and able to hit what he aims at a good number of them would think twice about doing that home invasion. Unarmed victims are easy prey, but it's not quite so much fun if your prey shoots you. Even the Mounties agree--the one night a couple years ago when I called them, the officer that came out asked if I weren't afraid to live out here without male protection. I told him not usually--but I added I am American & I firmly believe that I--and anyone--should have the right to carry a gun and use it if necessary to protect myself. I expected him to say that guns aren't the answer....but he didn't. He agreed, and said yes, you should be able to. I suppose that with the stuff he sees on the job, he knows how unsafe it really is for anyone to believe in "it's not likely to happen to me" Unfortunately the Mounties have no say in the law, they can only enforce the existing laws (or try to--I'm sure there are many times when it seems like a losing proposition to them!)

"Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I'm what's known as "prey." All females are."

I'm not trying to start anything here so please don't 'shoot' me (
default_wink.png
) but I come from one of those "countries with out guns" and this just struck me as very sad. I do not feel like prey and will not consider myself as such. Every living thing is vulnerable but I'm pretty sure (haven't researched this at all) that at least as many men are attacked as women each year. If someone is determined to do you harm they will not care how much testosterone runs thro your veins. I can't imagine going thro life considering myself a victim.
default_no.gif

That said I hope those of you who carry a weapon can explain to me how it makes you feel safer. I'm not sure I want to shoot someone and I'm pretty sure hesitating is going to make carrying that weapon useless. It might even increase the risk of harm. So I'm curious how you can be sure that when it really counted you wouldn't hesitate? Nathan plans for that inclination by using non lethal force initially, will he really have time to fire the lethal round if the 'warning' shots fail? I live in a country where only the police /army and a very few of the security personnel are allowed to carry weapons. Even our rifles have to be licensed and locked down. That works for the law abiding citizens and then there are those who don't care what the law says. They carry weapons and WILL use them. They don't care what innocent bystander is hurt either. We have news stories of children shot in the homes because some one opened fire in a drive by and gun play in our streets as the criminals use guns to settle internal disputes. Having a gun won't keep me safe from these people. I don't agree with the law that says only the police and the bad guys can carry weapons but I'm not sure I'd be any safer (or anyone else would either) because I could carry a gun. I sure wouldn't feel safer knowing Joe Blow down the street might have one and in an attempt to defend his loved ones fire without considering the risks to others. I know thats what the courses are supposed to do but I'm not really convinced that only 'sensible' people will pass those. So help me understand all this.
Statistics disagree.... check out states in the US where guns were outlawed, and crime rates... then compare to the same states, 1-2 years after allowing Concealed Carry. The violent crime rates dropped SIGNIFICANTLY. And its not just one state.... its happened time and again, EVERY state that has allowed weapons has had a significant and instantaneous drop in violent crime.

Nathan's absolutely correct.

... Regarding the "gold" colored quote, Ann Coulter is doing what she often does... being extreme but making a valid point. Haven't heard her say very many things that weren't right on.

Nathan's absolutely correct.

... Regarding the "gold" colored quote, Ann Coulter is doing what she often does... being extreme but making a valid point. Haven't heard her say very many things that weren't right on.
I love Ann Coulter! She's really abrasive to a lot of people, but she's NOT dumb, and what she says always make perfect sense.

Ann Coulter is one of my favorite famous people... and my list of those is pretty short.

Another way to look at it is, it doesn't matter if the guns are outlawed. Those who respect the law will find it impossible to get a weapon legally. Those who disrespect the law will not have any problem locating and procuring a weapon, nor using it.

(Outlaw guns and only the criminals will be armed...)
And this is why guns will never be outlawed in the US. The American people simply would never stand for it! And does anyone seriously think the criminals would all turn in their guns?

I really had my eyes opened to the Canadian mindset about 13 years ago when I was at a large gathering of friends just outside of Port Perry, Ontario. These people are still my friends.. we had met on an internet gardening site and a group of us were meeting in Canada, and we had made plans to come to my place in Wisconsin the following year. I talked about things that could be done within an hour's drive from my place, and also mentioned riding the four wheelers or horses on our trails and then I said, "And we have a shooting range set up, so we can target practice if you like."

Oh my, the reaction was hilarious! The Canadians were just stunned! None of them had ever held a gun before and the concept of actually shooting one just terrified them, and then there was a chorus of "no thank you's" to the target practicing! LOL! Still love them all, anyway!

I used to work at a Gun range. We referred to the Jennings as Jammings for a reason. A good quality gun shouldn't jam. Here in SC you can get the permit to carry but if you are on your own property you can open carry and its fine. We mostly have issues on our own property so we don't have SC permits but did have them in Florida. I have small hands and some of the guns like the Glocks etc are too fat for me to hold comfortably. I prefer the 1911 style. I want a Springfield subcompact 45 or a Kimber or something similar my husband has a 45 Colt compact that he carries on the farm along with Besty the 12 gauge.

Karen

Exactly. Welcome to Canada.
I don't agree with the law that says only the police and the bad guys can carry weapons

As I said this law (which of course doesn't read as I typed above) isn't something I support. I appreciate that you've all taken the time to explain your position to me. I do think this is a far more complex subject than we can really cover here tho. I am still not convinced that I'd be safer if every one carried a gun (maybe if Ihad one but my neighbor might be an idiot with his lol) I was just trying to get a clear take on why so many felt a gun made them safer. Being a born and bred Canadian I do have conflicting thoughts on the subject (which no doubt comes thro on my posts
default_wacko.png
) but I think you might be surprised just how many Canadians not only don't like the law but have chosen to disobey it in many small (and sometimes not so small) ways, particularly here in western Canada. We often feel like we are a world apart from our eastern countrymen and since laws are based on majority (more or less) and our population is still mostly in large cities in the east we see laws passed that western citizens(excepting perhaps cities like Vancouver) would never pass. Weebiscuit, your firing range would be quite the hit with most of my friends here so I think perhaps you are again seeing some of the differences I'm talking about. Of course I make no denials about my redneck friends (and family)
default_laugh.png

Weebiscuit, your firing range would be quite the hit with most of my friends here so I think perhaps you are again seeing some of the differences I'm talking about. Of course I make no denials about my redneck friends (and family)
default_laugh.png
When I made that comment, it was at our first get together, and it was in Ontario. At that time, I just had NO idea that Canadian citizens didn't all have guns like a lot of us do in the US, so I made the comment in all sincerity, thinking that maybe some of them would like to target practice! I sure learned my lesson!

I had another wonderful friend in British Columbia, but she died last year due to a pulmonary disease. She was just a wonderful lady, but she thought we americans were all "cowboys" and she would never have allowed a gun in her house. She lived in Langley. Have you ever heard of it?

Many thanks to everyone who commented on your concealed carry weapons! I very much appreciate all the info, and I have copied and saved some of the posts so I can print your "favorites" out and take them with me when I go shopping for a concealed weapon. I don't have much time these days so I couldn't respond individually to all the posts, but I did read every one of them!

BTW... we are deer hunters, plus we have many assorted small firearms and pistols, so I am completely comfortable around guns of all kinds. What I was looking for, and what I got from you, was your favorite concealed carry gun!

I used to work at a Gun range. We referred to the Jennings as Jammings for a reason. A good quality gun shouldn't jam. Here in SC you can get the permit to carry but if you are on your own property you can open carry and its fine. We mostly have issues on our own property so we don't have SC permits but did have them in Florida. I have small hands and some of the guns like the Glocks etc are too fat for me to hold comfortably. I prefer the 1911 style. I want a Springfield subcompact 45 or a Kimber or something similar my husband has a 45 Colt compact that he carries on the farm along with Besty the 12 gauge.

Karen

THey don't make a Springfield XD Subcompact 45, just 9mm or 40. To get a 45 you have to go with the full frame Service/Compact model with a 4" barrel. Definitely my next weapon
default_smile.png
Not sure if they refer to the 1911's as subcompacts? Don't know much about the 1911's.

When I made that comment, it was at our first get together, and it was in Ontario. At that time, I just had NO idea that Canadian citizens didn't all have guns like a lot of us do in the US, so I made the comment in all sincerity, thinking that maybe some of them would like to target practice! I sure learned my lesson!

I had another wonderful friend in British Columbia, but she died last year due to a pulmonary disease. She was just a wonderful lady, but she thought we americans were all "cowboys" and she would never have allowed a gun in her house. She lived in Langley. Have you ever heard of it?
Langley is very near to Vancouver. Near enough that those of us who are 'inland' tend to refer to the whole area as Vancouver (Not very accurate) rather than the lower mainland. Still, yes doesn't surprise me at all. If you were to check attitudes in any of the larger cities they may reflect what you have seen. We tend (forgive me fellow BCers from the places in question, just what us more northern people think in general not specific to anyone) to consider all the coastal people tree hugging hippy do gooders lol. The general populations in less 'urban' settings in western Canada, aka, smaller cities, towns and villages as well as rural locations, you would perhaps get a different response. I have a friend who's passion is black powder rifles. He'd like to get into mounted shooting but at this time can't fit a horse into his life. Most of our friends and family are hunters and I was raised around guns too. In fact a right of passage in our house was to be allowed to take the 'squirrel gun' out without an adult. That was on our 12th birthday, the only rule was we had to go alone, not in a group. That way there was no risk of shooting someone else in the group if we got 'buck fever' er... rabbit fever lol (the gun was a tiny 22 and sure not for hunting anything over rabbits, grouse or squirrels) Does that make me a redneck ?
default_wink.png

I carried a gun when I lived in Las Vegas. I had someone getting in my apartment when I was out. He would do things to let me know he had been there along with stealing a pair of my undies
default_new_shocked.gif
each time he was there. I told the guy at the gun shop how close I would be to the person when I entered the apartment (it was maybe 700 sq ft). I had a friend that was a cop and I asked him if I shot the guy in my apartment, what would happen to me? He told me it would depend on what his intentions were. I told him "well, he wouldn't be there to play patty cake. No one was to enter my apartment. Not even the apartment staff." He said if I was in fear of my life, nothing would happen." The guy at the gun shop got me comfortable with pointing a gun at a person and I bought a gun. I carried it when I took my dog out. I had it with me at all times because it wouldn't do much good if I left it at home and he found it. I did find out later that it was the maintenance man at the apartments that was getting into my apartment. I had changed the door lock set with one I went and bought myself. 2 days later he went in through the window and took my door off and changed the lock so I could not get in. Then he followed me to a place that I went dancing at. He was caught and I moved about 3 weeks later. You know "what ever happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" They can keep him and all the horror he created. I will NEVER go back to live in Vegas.

Latest posts

Back