Anyone have a concealed carry license?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
We finally got the law passed in Wisconsin to allow to carry a concealed weapon! Along with Illinois, we were the only two states without that right! Of course my husband and I both want to get licensed, but we have to go to a "training" course. Doesn't matter that we've both been hunters for the last 40 years!

Anyway, if you do carry a concealed weapon, what do you carry? Just curious. I have a few handguns I am considering but they are really all a bit bigger than I'd like for C.C.

Here in AZ it's not uncommon to see people 'packing' in public, on the ranch or where ever. I have for years also... we also have had the law to C C for several years but I dont. Mine's just out in the open, LOL

I dont hold much stock in a .22- if it is a serious enough situation that you would ever have to use one you would want something with some stopping power- not something that would tick somebody off.

I live in Minnesota and have had my C&C permit for about a year now. I'm glad Wisconsin has joined the rest of most of the states now because I drive through there regularly. Wisc. had always had a carry permit but it was exclusive to Wisc. residents and they recognized no one else. I thought is was funny that they were trying to decide if they should ban carry in Packer Stadium ! (No insult intended, I'm a Packer Fan!) Anyway, it doesn't matter how gun savvy you are after hunting all your life. The C&C classes are about self protection, your rights to protect yourself, how to decide when or if to do it and how to protect yourself the best way possible legally if you have to use your weapon. Self protection pistol use is different than target practice. Also, the classes will probably fulfill requirements from other states so you can carry there. I am licensed in most states. Your classes will cover how to travel with your weapon on airlines and how to find the C&C laws in the states you will go to or through.

I chose a semi automatic Glock 19 for its dependability. I was considering the smaller sized Glock model 22 but I didn't have room for all my fingers without a grip extension and the 19 just felt more secure. I would like to get a little smaller one for summer use. You will find you might want more than one for use in different seasons due to lighter weight or winter clothing to cover it. My friend has a ruger 380, another has a revolver but says it is a little bulky. Another has a .22. I know people say they won't do much but I figure if you shoot in the right part of the anatomy you can deter anything. There are some women's C&C forums and they will have a lot of information. There are about 5 favorites for women with prices ranging from $400 to $700.

Also, how/where do you plan to carry should also be considered. Those of us with hips find it hard to carry inside the waist band. I bought a C&C fanny pack which I like. I have a C&C purse but those can be snatched and you can't let them out of your control no matter where you are. Also, my Glock doesn't fit in it. I also have a shoulder holster which I find to be very comfortable but not for summer wear.

Hope this helps a little.

I do.

Usually only carry, however, when traveling to the big city, at night, or on a trip.

The S&W Airweight .38 revolver is a good carry gun, imo. Hammerless and fits in a purse or coat pocket well. I don't trust the semi-auto for me. If I'm in a bad situation, I might not cock it properly and that could cause it to jam. With a revolver, that isn't an issue.

Also like the Crimson Trace grips. I am thinking an intruder might be deterred by seeing the red dot over his heart and hearing the click of double action.

Walther PPS. Video below
default_smile.png

Those who have been wanting to get a carry permit probably should do so sooner rather than later. Make sure the course you take for the permit makes you comfortable with carrying a gun, and if not, take more instruction. If you're not confident, the gun is more likely to be used against you vs. to protect you.

I've always been safety conscious but worry because of what I do for a living, people may think I have access to large (vault) sums of cash. I don't, but would imagine some thug might not realize that's the case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZQpjY_jkoY

Plus, let's also consider the following as stated by Ann Coulter:

"Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I'm what's known as "prey." All females are."

Color me a Coulter fan, but even if you're not, it wouldn't hurt to consider the insight above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always carry in the car (which actually doesn't require a permit in KY) and sometimes carry when I go to town and such. I have a Springfield XD-9 subcompact. Its NOT small. Next time, I'd choose a .40 rather than 9, although 9 is nice and cheap to practice with! I tried a few Glocks, and they jammed CONSTANTLY (like, 10% of the time, with quality ammunition). For an "unjammable" gun, unacceptable to me. I've had two XD's now, put well over 15,000 rounds through, and I've stove-piped twice. My friend has a Kahr PM9 9mm, and he LOVES it. Its VERY small, easy to control, fun to shoot. Holds 6+1 with the standard mag (whereas mine carries 10+1 with the standard). It is quite expensive, however, around 800? Mine was $600 or so since I got nightsights (mandatory, in my opinion, for any gun since it makes it soooo much easier to focus on quickly). Springfield is a great company, wonderful support, awesome in house upgrade shop (I have a custom trigger and an upgraded barrel, both done by Springfield). I can't say enough about them. Unless I get the little Kahr my friend has, I'm definitely getting another XD (not XDm, for me).

Previous to the Kahr, my friend had a .380 Rugar LCP. Very small, EASY to hide ANYWHERE, nasty very difficult trigger, and its "only" a .380, which isn't powerful enough in my opinion. Wouldn't ever get another one.

Overall I can't say enough about the XD. Only downside is they are large and hard to conceal (same size as Glocks). The little Kahr my friend has is amazing. Only downside is the price. DO NOT GET THE 40 VERSION. Much much much harder to control, way too much kick, too big a bullet for the frame. The 9mm is very well balanced and 10x more controllable compared to the slightly larger 40.

As far as cocking, XD's are always cocked. If its chambered, its ready to fire. The triple safety is a HUGE bonus for me. There is no thumb safety (although in the largest .45 they do offer a CA version that does have a thumb safety). There is a trigger safety, a grip safety, and an internal safety (which is why Glock and XD are the ONLY two guns that will not *can not* fire if dropped accidentally). There is absolutely no way you can fire an XD without having it in your hand and in a "ready to fire" position. And since there is no additional safety, there is nothing to fumble over in an emergency. Just hold it normally and fire and bam. Very safe. If you are only holding it half-heartidly, it won't fire. VERY slick. Especially paired with a custom trigger, its very smooth and very easy, while being very safe and pretty much impossible to fire without meaning it.

I also have a built-in laser (not the Crimson, because that bulks up the grip). I have an integral recoil spring laser; its a replacement for the stock recoil spring and puts the laser just below the barrel without adding anything external to get caught or restrict a holster. Love it
default_smile.png
other than the expensive batteries, which is true for any laser.

Never been a fan of the walther, I have the .22 version. Nice plinker, horrible to work with or clean. XD breaks down in 10 seconds, and reassembles in 15 seconds.

I've been a CC since 2009 and would not be without a gun when I travel. Being female and traveling there are two things I wont be without--my gun and a fully charged cell phone. Oklahoma has tried to pass an Open carry law twice now and I'd be all for that.

Right now I carry a S&W 38 Special--only thing I don't like is it is a double action trigger and I'll pull my shot high and to the right. I also don't like the fact that revolvers don't have safeties.

Wish I still had my father's P-38 9MM. He brought it home from WWII when his unit raided a gun factory. Each memeber got to assemble one gun and bring it home with it's original holster. It got stolen several years ago and it just made me sick as I was a dead shot with it.

Going to be looking to either a new P-38 or may get in touch with Nathan and talk to him more about the gun he was describing above.

Here are some handy hints I used while working on the ranch and doing a lot of work with cattle all day- I had a regular hip belt- but carried my old Ruger revolver on the left side- backwards- so it's used as a cross draw. Carrying it on the right gets in the way if you have to rope something, etc.... Also, on our holsters, we made a 'tie down' out of leather that hooks up over the hammer- helps keep your gun secure and also acts as somewhat of a 'safety'.

I prefer revolvers rather than autos and have always kept an empty chamber under the hammer as another safety feature. I have never carried it full loaded and figured if I cant hit something in 5 shots rather than 6, I shouldn't be carrying it anyhow. LOL

I love my Ruger .45 but it's not a good C & C gun, LOL

My husband has his. The also offer class at UT martin Iseen it in my continueing education booklet

Here in AZ it's not uncommon to see people 'packing' in public, on the ranch or where ever. I have for years also... we also have had the law to C C for several years but I dont. Mine's just out in the open, LOL

I dont hold much stock in a .22- if it is a serious enough situation that you would ever have to use one you would want something with some stopping power- not something that would tick somebody off.
I agree completely about the .22, but I also thought that if someone were aiming a gun at me and I pulled out a .22 and could put a few bullets into them, wouldn't they be so surprised and scared that they'd "lose it?" I know a .22 hasn't much stopping power, but I think that if I were shot a few times with one I would be pretty much stopped in my tracks.

I've been looking at the Ruger SP 101. It takes the .357 Magnum cartridges but also the less expensive .38 Specials.

I live in Minnesota and have had my C&C permit for about a year now. I'm glad Wisconsin has joined the rest of most of the states now because I drive through there regularly. Wisc. had always had a carry permit but it was exclusive to Wisc. residents and they recognized no one else. I thought is was funny that they were trying to decide if they should ban carry in Packer Stadium ! (No insult intended, I'm a Packer Fan!) Anyway, it doesn't matter how gun savvy you are after hunting all your life. The C&C classes are about self protection, your rights to protect yourself, how to decide when or if to do it and how to protect yourself the best way possible legally if you have to use your weapon. Self protection pistol use is different than target practice. Also, the classes will probably fulfill requirements from other states so you can carry there. I am licensed in most states. Your classes will cover how to travel with your weapon on airlines and how to find the C&C laws in the states you will go to or through.

I chose a semi automatic Glock 19 for its dependability. I was considering the smaller sized Glock model 22 but I didn't have room for all my fingers without a grip extension and the 19 just felt more secure. I would like to get a little smaller one for summer use. You will find you might want more than one for use in different seasons due to lighter weight or winter clothing to cover it. My friend has a ruger 380, another has a revolver but says it is a little bulky. Another has a .22. I know people say they won't do much but I figure if you shoot in the right part of the anatomy you can deter anything. There are some women's C&C forums and they will have a lot of information. There are about 5 favorites for women with prices ranging from $400 to $700.

Also, how/where do you plan to carry should also be considered. Those of us with hips find it hard to carry inside the waist band. I bought a C&C fanny pack which I like. I have a C&C purse but those can be snatched and you can't let them out of your control no matter where you are. Also, my Glock doesn't fit in it. I also have a shoulder holster which I find to be very comfortable but not for summer wear.

Hope this helps a little.
I don't agree with what you said about the CC classes a person has to take as far as preparing a person for everything you mentioned, because in state one of the classes they said would fulfill the requirement was a Hunter's Safety class. These classes are geared towards hunting rifles and hunting laws and regulations. Yet, they would fulfill the requirements! I find that odd. And taking a Hunter's Safety class will not fulfill the requirements other states carry, so we could not legally carry concealed into other states. however, there is one class being offered, and I forget right now who is sponsoring it.. possibly the NRA... but it is the class that's taken in Utah, and if you take this class then you are legally entitled to CC into all states. As it stands now, if you have a CC permit, you are not really legally able to carry into other states, because they all have different requirements, but as I understand it, if you take the class that entitles you to carry in Utah, then you are covered in all the states, as that's the most stringent class.

Thanks for the info on where to carry on your body. I never carry a purse. My wallet goes in my back pocket and that's all I ever carry, so a purse holder wouldn't work for me. I was considering a pancake holster but will have to try out different things. I'm not planning on carrying the weapon everywhere I go, but there are definitely times I would feel much more comfortable having it on me.

I know several people with Glocks and they are very satisfied with them. And I will visit the women's forums and see what their recommendations are! I never thought of that. Thanks!

I do.

Usually only carry, however, when traveling to the big city, at night, or on a trip.

The S&W Airweight .38 revolver is a good carry gun, imo. Hammerless and fits in a purse or coat pocket well. I don't trust the semi-auto for me. If I'm in a bad situation, I might not cock it properly and that could cause it to jam. With a revolver, that isn't an issue.

Also like the Crimson Trace grips. I am thinking an intruder might be deterred by seeing the red dot over his heart and hearing the click of double action.
I love the idea of the red dot, LOL! Like you, I would only carry on certain occasions. And I tend to agree about the semi-automatics. One of my hand guns is a little Jennings semi-automatic .22 and it constantly jams. It's a cheap gun, anyway. My dad gave it to me so I'm not out any money. I tend to like the revolvers. Of course, they are a bit bulkier to conceal. But at least they are more dependable.

I agree completely about the .22, but I also thought that if someone were aiming a gun at me and I pulled out a .22 and could put a few bullets into them, wouldn't they be so surprised and scared that they'd "lose it?" I know a .22 hasn't much stopping power, but I think that if I were shot a few times with one I would be pretty much stopped in my tracks.

I've been looking at the Ruger SP 101. It takes the .357 Magnum cartridges but also the less expensive .38 Specials.

Have had several Rugers and have found them very poorly designed. Very difficult to break down, etc.

The point of a larger caliber is also the philosophy of "dead men can't sue". If you truly have to defend yourself for your life, do you also want to defend yourself in court when the injured party decides you "misinterpreted" him? If you are going to point a deadly weapon at someone, you should be aiming to be deadly. And don't forget, if a person gets in a fight for their life situation, they may continue to assult you because its easier to disable you than it is to get away and expose themselves to your gun again. So if you use a small gun with a quiet retort and small bullets, they may continue the attack as a form of defense. Remember, 22's HURT, they do not do that much damage and have very little energy (stopping power). If they are drugged up or drunk they won't even notice.

For home defense I carry a Mossberg 590 12g loaded with 4 paint bags (the least lethal round available), 2 slugs, and 2 buckshot. If the paint bags don't convince you to get out of my house, the buckshot will end the matter. But I'll feel 100x better and much looser firing HydroShock at an intruder whereas I might hesitate firing a killing shot. I know that the HydroShock won't kill.

Do I need another cup of coffee? I thought I was replying to a thread about getting a first miniature horse! Sorry -- I'm off to cut and paste my reply to the right thread
default_biggrin.png

Check out the CCW Reciprocity web site. They will tell you what states recognize what permits. All states are a little different in what is required to be covered in classes and each instructor has their personal opinions to add. The web site also has a trip planner and other helpful things.

Thanks for the info on the site Baptism.... and yes Nathan, I agree. I have heard of burgulars suing home owners when they were injured or dog bit on the property they were breaking in to!!!!

Also, a drugged up mentally unstable person is already 'not in their right mind' and a .22 may either just infuriate them, or not phase them at all, and if they are that set on doing you bodily harm, they will continue the attack.

"Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I'm what's known as "prey." All females are."

I'm not trying to start anything here so please don't 'shoot' me (
default_wink.png
) but I come from one of those "countries with out guns" and this just struck me as very sad. I do not feel like prey and will not consider myself as such. Every living thing is vulnerable but I'm pretty sure (haven't researched this at all) that at least as many men are attacked as women each year. If someone is determined to do you harm they will not care how much testosterone runs thro your veins. I can't imagine going thro life considering myself a victim.
default_no.gif

That said I hope those of you who carry a weapon can explain to me how it makes you feel safer. I'm not sure I want to shoot someone and I'm pretty sure hesitating is going to make carrying that weapon useless. It might even increase the risk of harm. So I'm curious how you can be sure that when it really counted you wouldn't hesitate? Nathan plans for that inclination by using non lethal force initially, will he really have time to fire the lethal round if the 'warning' shots fail? I live in a country where only the police /army and a very few of the security personnel are allowed to carry weapons. Even our rifles have to be licensed and locked down. That works for the law abiding citizens and then there are those who don't care what the law says. They carry weapons and WILL use them. They don't care what innocent bystander is hurt either. We have news stories of children shot in the homes because some one opened fire in a drive by and gun play in our streets as the criminals use guns to settle internal disputes. Having a gun won't keep me safe from these people. I don't agree with the law that says only the police and the bad guys can carry weapons but I'm not sure I'd be any safer (or anyone else would either) because I could carry a gun. I sure wouldn't feel safer knowing Joe Blow down the street might have one and in an attempt to defend his loved ones fire without considering the risks to others. I know thats what the courses are supposed to do but I'm not really convinced that only 'sensible' people will pass those. So help me understand all this.

I don't ever want to shoot someone but I am doing what I can to defend myself. Carrying a gun IMO levels the field as much in my favor as possible should I ever be confronted by someone who means me harm. Chances are it would be a male who even if unarmed would be stronger than I am.

I'm not trying to start anything here so please don't 'shoot' me (
default_wink.png
) but I come from one of those "countries with out guns" and this just struck me as very sad. I do not feel like prey and will not consider myself as such. Every living thing is vulnerable but I'm pretty sure (haven't researched this at all) that at least as many men are attacked as women each year. If someone is determined to do you harm they will not care how much testosterone runs thro your veins. I can't imagine going thro life considering myself a victim.
default_no.gif

That said I hope those of you who carry a weapon can explain to me how it makes you feel safer. I'm not sure I want to shoot someone and I'm pretty sure hesitating is going to make carrying that weapon useless. It might even increase the risk of harm. So I'm curious how you can be sure that when it really counted you wouldn't hesitate? Nathan plans for that inclination by using non lethal force initially, will he really have time to fire the lethal round if the 'warning' shots fail? I live in a country where only the police /army and a very few of the security personnel are allowed to carry weapons. Even our rifles have to be licensed and locked down. That works for the law abiding citizens and then there are those who don't care what the law says. They carry weapons and WILL use them. They don't care what innocent bystander is hurt either. We have news stories of children shot in the homes because some one opened fire in a drive by and gun play in our streets as the criminals use guns to settle internal disputes. Having a gun won't keep me safe from these people. I don't agree with the law that says only the police and the bad guys can carry weapons but I'm not sure I'd be any safer (or anyone else would either) because I could carry a gun. I sure wouldn't feel safer knowing Joe Blow down the street might have one and in an attempt to defend his loved ones fire without considering the risks to others. I know thats what the courses are supposed to do but I'm not really convinced that only 'sensible' people will pass those. So help me understand all this.
I don't know as I would say I feel like "prey" without a gun but I would feel safer if we were allowed to carry--and I would carry if our laws were the same as those in the US. The way things are now the criminals are just getting more & more cocky and if things continue as they are I can see everyone--not just women but everyone--are going to be 'prey' if they don't have a gun for self-protection.

Latest posts

Back