Anyone had this surgery??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyranch

Reaction score
After arguing with insurance for a month, I have been approved for surgery. It is called Uterine Ablatement.

We have had to fight with insurance because they want to say this is pre-existing. So my hubby finally got ugly and told them if they mean having a uterus is pre-existing, fine, but otherwise, you better pay up....

Not going to get descriptive on procedure unless someone wants to know, I just wonder if anyone else has had this and how well it has worked for you.

January 4 will be nice beginning for me. no more pain, anemia. Never thought I could be so happy about a surgery!!!

Looking forward to feeling good again!!
aktion033.gif

nope -- never heard of it -- sounds like NO FUN -- hope it solves whatever problem you are experiencing!! -- keep us posted on your progress -- and remind us when you are going in for surgery.

Is it in hospital or outpatient surgery? these days the strangest things are outpatient.

Good Luck!

JJay

It is outpatient. They remove the lining of your uterus so that your monthly friend comes no more. I have endometriosis, so I am constantly in pain, this is supposed to be an alternative to hyster. It only takes 90 seconds for the main procedure, so I am hoping this will resolve alot of pain.

Sounds awful, but it can't be worse than my gallbladder surgery was!
smile.gif

They want me to have this too but i haven't yet. I just cannot get into have elective surgery. And, who will take care of everybody if I can't for a bit while I recover?
new_shocked.gif

I have not had it, but I do have a friend that did. From what I understand, things are better, now, and I don't know that the recovery was terrible.

I know you must be really unhappy with things the way they are, and I would think this is far more preferable to a hysterectomy.

Whatever you decide, know that my thoughts are with you for a swift recovery and a great outcome.
smile.gif

Liz M.

While a bit different, I had surgery a couple of months ago. I had to have a huge cyst taken out and part of an ovary removed. They also removed some fibroids and some of the endometriosis (though they didn't remove the entire lining--just what was where it shouldn't be) while they were in there. They did it all by lapro and I was back up on my feet in a few days even though they had to get a bit more invasive than the usual lapro. My biggest real pain was in my shoulders from the gas they blow you up with. Anyway, I feel SO much better for having all that done! Good luck!

-Amy

I had it. Best thing I ever did and it was no big deal, no pain unless you can't tolerate normal cramping as with a normal period and not much recovery time. I had it done on Friday and went back to work on Monday. Can't recommend it highly enough. And yes no more anemia!

whiskeyranch said:
It is outpatient. They remove the lining of your uterus so that your monthly friend comes no more. I have endometriosis, so I am constantly in pain, this is supposed to be an alternative to hyster. It only takes 90 seconds for the main procedure, so I am hoping this will resolve alot of pain.Sounds awful, but it can't be worse than my gallbladder surgery was!
smile.gif

522096[/snapback]

Do they know for sure that the endo is ONLY INSIDE your uterus? Mine is all over my abdomen, bowel, everything, as was my Sister's (even up to her lungs). Endo doesn't usually (IME) contain itself to inside an organ, mine just goes nuts everywhere
unsure.gif

I haven't had it done, or even heard of it for that matter, but it sounds like a relatively simple solution to a very nasty problem. And far more preferable than a hysterectomy for a number of reasons.

Best wishes to you!

Now that is one procedure that has NOT been done to me.....that and a hysterectomy.

Since it's a day surgery, you should bounce back fine. Just don't expect to drive home or get anything constructive done that day and maybe the next.

I've had a D&C, a laparascopy, and a number of other procedures done for the invetro program that weren't fun..... but all were day surgeries or procedures and I was marginally normal by the next day.

Had a full-blown lazer surgery done on me as well, but that was a hospital stay and took a week before I was starting to feel like I could lift things, etc.... That one was not fun.

MA

I have not had that done.

I've had 3 D&C's due to miscarriages, and I felt pretty much fine physically after those. However, the night before the first one, I was up honestly crying because I was so scared of it. One of my pregnancy books showed a diagram of what they do, and it just looked so painful but the reality was I barely even had any cramping. I was not put out totally for it but whatever drugs they gave me, they make you not remember so it's almost like being out.

Good luck with the proceedure. It sounds like it will put you on a better path.

Endo, is not my main problem, but they will be checking everything while they are up there
wub.gif
after the removal of the lining, they do a d&c.

As far as cramping after, my cramps are so severe now, that I throw up for days and sometimes cannot even walk. There are no incisions so it should make for a much easier recovery than a laproscopy. That gas is an absolute killer!!!

I am trying not to make myself nervous, I really hate the going to sleep part. I am also not thinking about the embarrassing position I will be in, on that table!

I have finally found a great Doc to help me, my last one told me I stopped having kids too early and should reverse my tubal. I told him I didn't need a 9 month fix, but thanks anyway.

Thanks for all your good wishes, and yes, I am excited. Hoping for the best
yes.gif

I just had this done on Wednesday, December 7 along with a D&C and Hysteroscopy. My hemoglobin was 7.7 and falling rapidly by 2 "points" every year. I have been taking Feosol iron supplement for about a month now and my hemoglobin raised to 8.8.
aktion033.gif
As for the surgery, it was no big deal at all. No pain, no bleeding, just slight clear discharge which I still have a week later but nothing big at all - just a panty liner is required. I went in the Hospital at 11:30 a.m. and was discharged by 3:30 p.m. I just received word today that my pathology from the D&C was negative, so I'm relieved with that. Honestly, I really don't feel like anything was done. I was sore "down there" a couple of days after the surgery but again, no big deal. I am just so relieved that I won't have to deal with heavy periods and the cramping that went with them. If you have any questions or want to talk, just PM me or E-mail me at: [email protected]

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

Oh, I also wanted to add that it took me THREE GYN's before I found one who would accept the fact that I DON'T WANT KIDS!!!! The other GYN's insisted that since I had the "equipment", I should use it!
new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
With as bad as my anemia is, there is NO WAY I COULD have a child even if I wanted to. Both the child and myself would be in dire straits. So I know exactly what you mean about finding a doctor who will LISTEN and work with you.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

I had this surgery done about a year ago - that was after a D & C. I was bleeding so badly that I could not leave the house for nearly a week and the cramps were as you described - pretty much dropped me to my knees.

I will say that the ablation helped the bleeding - I had fibroids and my doc thought that was causing the pain --- NOT! My cramps have been just as bad if not worse and I finally switched doctors and went to a women's clinic and they immediately had an MRI done -- end result -- I am chock full of endo. . . - wrapped all around my R ovary (including the tumour on it that my first doc didn't find) - all over my tubes and on my bladder! Well, no wonder I have been in pain for over 3 years! End result - I am having a complete hysterectomy on 12/23 - which sounds like a crappy time to be in the hospital (thru 12/27) but I am really looking forward to going into the next year free of cramps and all the other stuff that goes along with the plumbing that this old gal no longer needs!

Good luck with your ablation - but if you are having serious cramping I would insist on an MRI to determine if the endo is more invasive than they think it is - unfortunately this stuff does not seem to show up on a traditional ultrasound.

Hugs to you - I can feel you pain!

Stacy

I have "bled out" monthly for 30 years. My hemoglobin was below 8--I've been SOOO tired the last year and my new Dr. said "no duh". Had it done in Nov and it has helped soo much. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

whiskeyranch said:
Sounds awful, but it can't be worse than my gallbladder surgery was!
smile.gif

522096[/snapback]

ohmy.gif
I am in the process of scheduling my gall bladder surgery for January. Something I have been putting off for a year. Do you have another reason for me to put it off for another year?
wink.gif

Oh please have the gallbladder removed. I only had problems with a sore abdomen due to the 4 incisions. I am fairly slim and the one near my sternum (sp))bothered me for about 3 months. But the gallbladder pain was gone. It took me a good week before I could walk to the mailbox, (father in law makes lists of chores and that was mine during recovery.) I put off the surgery for the first year, I literally only ate tuna and rice crispy treats for a year.

I threw up constantly. even if I didn't eat or drink. symptoms went away for about 6 months, then bam! all I had was severe pain that put me on the couch.

On Dec. 27, the day before my B-day, 3 yrs. ago I had my surgery. I take alot of pepto pills now, to avoid running to the potty at inconveinient times, but I can usually eat anything, except stuff with alot of pepper, and OJ>

whiskeyranch said:
Oh please have the gallbladder removed. I only had problems with a sore abdomen due to the 4 incisions. I am fairly slim and the one near my sternum (sp))bothered me for about 3 months. But the gallbladder pain was gone. It took me a good week before I could walk to the mailbox, (father in law makes lists of chores and that was mine during recovery.) I put off the surgery for the first year, I literally only ate tuna and rice crispy treats for a year.I threw up constantly. even if I didn't eat or drink.  symptoms went away for about 6 months, then bam! all I had was severe pain that put me on the couch.

On Dec. 27, the day before my B-day, 3 yrs. ago I had my surgery. I take alot of pepto pills now, to avoid running to the potty at inconveinient times, but I can usually eat anything, except stuff with alot of pepper, and OJ>

522785[/snapback]

Ok. I am going to the phone right now and will call the doctor. Gosh, how do you schedule it with three kids, lots of horses, a husband who works out of town every week and no family nearby? I guess that's what friends are for. Better start making some calls.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back