Anyone good with color? Is this a Silver Grulla or a Dun? New Pics.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a lot of Grullas now and I find that the frosting usually comes with the territory.

Thank you all for your help. RVM your minis are beautiful and I definitely see the sooty look in the photo. The spot looks in the photo are hair, she is shedding. She has the thickest, waviest hair, I have ever seen and yes, they are shedding. To chilly to shave the little girls, here in Texas I am still getting frost on the car in the morning. I am loving the days, upper 60's to lower 70's! I will keep brushing to remove the wavy locks of hair so we can see what is under all of that fuzz.

Your so kind. Mine are shedding like crazy too, and the nights still freeze. Quit teasing and do a spot shave for us lol. I should post Jewel in winter. She has the oddest coat in winter! She also looks like a yak, and I thought she would outgrow it. This next foal should be a big colorful surprise. Can't wait to get your spring pictures.

Well, I have my brillo pad, and two chinchilla coats, but she is definitely a yak in winter lol. It is so long, and her forehead is so thick and soft I bury my hands in it all the time lol.

I added photos to page one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a silver grulla filly that we owned a few years ago:

On the right-next to a silver black mare with no other modifiers

In her winter fuzzies:

I am going to agree with others and say your filly is a grulla, no silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grulla, no doubt, they are a slate grey in their winter woolies, when shed out they are light slate grey, also called black dun, characteristics include, a black mask, leg barring a distinct dorsel strip, a strip across the withers and mane and tail is usually mixed. Duns may have one two or all of these characteristics. One thing is for certain there must be at least one dun parent to produce dun.

I'm seeing all these questions about color, so a question came to mind. How old do they have to be, till you can be sure of their coloring and markings?

Yes, I thought Grulla too. Ohmt you have some pretty minis. Oh how I miss the snow, it adds beauty to the photos. Her woolies are hiding such a beautiful head and body. Good question MyMiniGal, it amazes how one can tell what color a foal is when they are newborn and dry.

Latest posts

Back