Anyone feed Lamb and rice dog food?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvwalkers

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]about 2 months ago i changed our 5 dogs over to Nutro lamb and rice. i did it gradually but i noticed my 3 year old Aussie started to pass gas which she never did before, i thought her system would get use to it but it only got worse. if you didn't know any better you would think an elephant was letting one rip in our kitchen tonight (sorry if that's a liitle grafic
default_unsure.png
: ) i have had dogs my whole life and have never "heard" them like this and the smell makes your eyes water. it was nasty rainy here tonight so i didn't want to make her go outside but i think our company left early to escape the fumes. i just hate to switch it again, anyone have this problem, i think i have heard it's the lamb. airing out my house, Nikki
[/SIZE]

I feed that same food to my dog and have for years....and dont have that problem (thankfully!
default_rolleyes.gif
: ) ...maybe some dogs cant handle it, just like some people have trouble with certain foods.

I had a houseful of teenagers tonite going to the Haunted House up here..........

if you think you had it bad, try teenagers!

:new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl: :new_rofl:

It may be the rice. My mother's older dog, the Mastiff/Aussie cross named Muttly, apparently does much the same when given rice or rice-based dog foods.

And peanut butter... P.U.!! I've never seen the rice part, but I can testify to the peanut butter!

I've been buying lamb & rice food for our dogs for, well,years now--not Nutro, but other brands, mostly dry but cans sometimes as an extra--and haven't had any problems with gassy dogs.

Lamb & rice is often what the vet will prescribe for dogs having intestinal or allergy issues from other dog foods so as a rule I think it's supposed to be easier on the digestive system. Obviously, though, it's not going to agree with every dog.

Hmm, yes, that is one way to run off unwanted company!

What else does your dog eat? Some treats and horse poo will give some dogs gas.

We feed Nutro Natural Choice to five of our six dogs (the 6th is on prescription food), and they don't get gas very often at all (thank goodness -- as five of them sleep on the bed and the one who doesn't sleeps on the floor beside my side of the bed)!

i've never had to do it but i've been told that a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt added to the food will eliminate the problem of gas (or, in the case of a female dog..."fluff"). you know, boys fart, girls fluff. ;)

marty...teenagers...that is hysterical!!!

Feed a dog for 10 yeasr a food that was lamb and rice and never had a problem

I feed Natural Choice (Wheat Free) Lamb and Rice No problems here

Just hubby.(My Old Fart ):new_rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]Nicole, she doesn't eat anything else unless she sneaks horse poo, which i'm sure she must but that wouldn't be new. Marty, that's to funny, hope you are all aired out this morning. you guys are funny, i was thinking the same thing about driving out guests who stay to long. Reble, does your hubby eat lamb or rice? i think i will try the yogurt before i change their food again, thanks.
default_smile.png
Nikki
[/SIZE]

We have fed our dogs Diamond Lamb and Rice for a while now and I have not had any problems with "fluffing" . The only time we have any trouble with that is if I give my Great Dane anything else besides her dry food , then it's Peeuuwwy !

no gassy problems from any of the lamb and rice foods I have fed over the years, but I did have some issues when I tried some venison and... sweet potato I think it was. I'm pretty sure in that case it was the sweet potato. It was enough to make your eyes water. Smelled so bad we would actually look all over the house thinking someone have left a poo in the house somewhere (which hasn't happened in years, but it sure did smell solid!!!)

The worst though was a few weeks ago when the dogs managed to get into some raw cabbage.

default_wacko.png
:

Holy moly was that a bad two days!!!!

Well if it was a bulldog I'd say learn to live with it :bgrin ...LOL that is one of their less endearing qualities
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: My aussie does well on lamb and rice but every so often he gets a treat that gives him some fierce gas :eek:
default_wacko.png
: All my dogs over the years have done well on lamb and rice.......you could always try a bag of something different for the aussie and see if it changes the gas situation. Also if they haven't been on it long you might wait a couple more weeks and see if it resolves.

An overload of horse poo might do it, though with our dogs if they eat too much poo (and they eat plenty on a regular basis, I'm talking about a real pig out they might indulge in some days) I find they're more likely to upchuck than to get gassy. I always tell them that if they're going to eat poo they'd better do it where I can't see them.

But someone mentioned venison--ooh, yes, that will do it! The one shepherd we had years ago would go over to the neighbors & drag home deer bones for himself & the other dog (neighbor would butcher his deer & then pitch the remains out into the yard--the neighborhood dogs fared well on the venison scraps!), and the next day it would just be NASTY to be anywhere near those two dogs....and that was outside. There'd have been no living with them if they'd been indoor dogs.

I have heard of dogs with this problem on this feed, not a lot, but a few.....and it wasn't just a certain breed, or age, etc....just totally depends on the dog! What works great for one dog, may not work for the next. Though yes, lamb & rice is usually what they tell you to feed for intestinal problems, that particular dog may not agree with something else (or the lamb or rice itself) that is in the feed.

~kathryn

[SIZE=12pt]i couldn't take it one more day :no: , i bought a bag of the food she has always been on, now i have to find a way to feed her seperate. i switched because we have a new dog that the old food didn't agree with :eek: . i have never had issues with food until now...ugh...thanks for the replies...Nikki[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back