Anyone feed chopped hay?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chandab

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone feeds chopped hay?

Not cubes or pellets, but... Chopped hay that comes in a bag; it's loose not compressed into cubes. I found and bought a couple bags of chopped alfalfa/timothy mix with a touch of molasses (I'm not thrilled with the added molasses, but the hay looks pretty good). [i bought it to try to improve the quality of the hay i have available, we had a poor hay year and getting grass hay around here is about impossible. I'm in cattle country, so it's mostly alfalfa or alfalfa-grass mix.]

If you are feeding it, how do you like it?

I bought the chopped forage for my 28 year old Arabian gelding who just doesn't have many teeth left. The one I feed is a chopped timothy hay. It has helped increase his roughage intake a bit, but he's not real fond of it. But the minis think it is fantastic stuff! But, of course, they think anything edible is fantastic stuff.
default_yes.gif
: I like the bagged forage because it is clean, there is absolutely no waste, and the alfalfa forage is certified blister beetle free. There is also a low starch that is good for horses with Cushings. It is a bit pricey, but all forage is high right now. And some of you poor folks on the forum are having trouble finding any hay at all. So, it could be a good alternative.

We've used it for special circumstances and the horses liked it..........but it is VERY expensive.

MA

Yeah, here in Australia, we call the chopped hay 'chaf'.

I fed it to my bigger horses for many years, just mixed it in with other feed.

My horses really did well on it, and i found it less messy than bales of hay.

We've used it for special circumstances and the horses liked it..........but it is VERY expensive.

MA
The bag of T/A chopped hay I bought was $13 for 40# bag, so not much different that other bagged feeds around here.

My senior feed just went up $1.50/bag, but I'm looking into alternatives, so may not be a big issue (and the feed store where I buy it is looking into switching companies).

Just to give a word of caution, the digestibility of the chopped hay is going to be far different than your Senior feeds. So if you are going to take out one to give the other, be ready for some changes

Just to give a word of caution, the digestibility of the chopped hay is going to be far different than your Senior feeds. So if you are going to take out one to give the other, be ready for some changes
The chopped hay and senior feed are two entirely different situations, but thanks for the caution.

I bought the chopped forage for my 28 year old Arabian gelding who just doesn't have many teeth left. The one I feed is a chopped timothy hay. It has helped increase his roughage intake a bit, but he's not real fond of it. But the minis think it is fantastic stuff! But, of course, they think anything edible is fantastic stuff.
default_yes.gif
: I like the bagged forage because it is clean, there is absolutely no waste, and the alfalfa forage is certified blister beetle free. There is also a low starch that is good for horses with Cushings. It is a bit pricey, but all forage is high right now. And some of you poor folks on the forum are having trouble finding any hay at all. So, it could be a good alternative.
Where do you get the chopped timothy hay from? Company name?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back