anyone ever have confused maiden mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promise

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a maiden mare get freaked out or act strange when they feel the baby move? My mare was acting a bit off this morning.

I am expecting 2 foals this year, my first! I have a maiden mare that was bred when I got her. She is due anywhere from March to June. The previous breeder thought she took in April, But seemed to show interest in the stud later in summer. Could have been hormones and lack of experience on the mares part (3 year old) , reabsorbtion or never in foal to start with. That is neither here nor there. She ate fine this morning, but seemed to go off by herself for a bit, was giving her sides some glances, layed down once (no rolling or anything) and was streching her back legs when she was up. She went back with the other mares, ate some hay , layed down, ate some more, got back up and trotted into the barn. She seems perfectly normal now. (she could just have some stiff muscles, she is from the south, I am in the north east, and the snow has been early this year!)

She has NO discharge, her vulva seems pretty tight and wrinkled still, no bright color on the inner edges. Can an inexperienced mare get confused or act confused with the babies movement.

She is not as big as my mare that is due in March, but she is a maiden mare, so I know she is going to hide it longer. She is also larger than my other mare, so there is more room to hide a little one.

Just want to know if anyone else has had an inexperienced mom to be act like this?

Thanks'

Promise

Yes I have, and my daughter currently has a big POA mare that is carrying her first foal right now. She gets a funny expression, holds a hind leg up, bugs her eyes out as if to say 'what the heck is that??!!' and will then go back to eating after a minute.... What's even funnier is the look on their face when the first baby arrives!!

Yes! We've had a maiden mare go so far as to act colicky because she wasn't familiar with what she was feeling inside!

Our experience with maiden mares is that they are totally unpredictable!
laugh.gif

MA

Yes. MY Feather and then my Thera both acted colicy and with the forums help we figured out that the babies moved and spooked their mommies.

I thought it was just mine. My maiden mare is due sometime between march and the end of June. Thinking more like June, due to her looks.

She was acting colicy, giving her sides a few nips, rolled a few times. I was really concerned. I have kept her stalled, let her out to stretch a little. Now she seems absolutely fine. I am thinking the little one repositioned and was causing some discomfort.

I am still keeping an eye on her. . She is supplied with plenty of water, salt , and is given sweet feed in the morning and a very wet beet pulp mix at night along with her vitamins. Her tummy sounded very healthy, lots of digestion movement.

I just pray that it all goes well.

Thanks for your comments,

Promise

Promise, I had a maiden mare that would jump into the air when the baby moved..then later, once she started to feel motherly, she would whinny to it. It was so sweet..not just a nicker, but a whinny, like she was calling to it and didn't know where it had gone! Turn her head, nose to belly and whinny. lol!

Latest posts

Back