Anyone else have any short eared mules born this yr?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js1arab

Reaction score
My colt from this year It'll Do's Buckardi & Cream (pending) is about the most muley acting thing I've ever seen. He loves to come up for me to scratch his butt and I can do just about anything to him as far as touching him all over, picking up his feet etc. But heaven forbid I put that awful halter on and expect him to walk! He doesn't mind getting the halter on and I will sometimes put it on him and let him walk around with it on while I feed and water everyone, but if I put the lead on and try to convince him to walk he spradles his back legs and sets his front end and totally looks like a mule (sorry no offense to the mule people -but we've all seen pictures of how a mule sets himself when he doesn't want to walk) If I am by myself, I'll put him in a corner so if he pulls back he has walls and fences to stop him so he doesn't hurt his neck, But the other day I had my oldest boy out with me and I told him to give the colt a little push as I applied a little pressure and he literally had him doing a handstand, it was crazy :new_shocked:
default_wacko.png
: I haven't had one ever be this contrary when they are so friendly other wise. And only one time have I ever had anything refuse like this and it was a donkey !!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin We were trying to load one from a sale where a friend of mine had bought it. It was blazing hot and we were obviously not smart enough to whisper to a donkey
default_wacko.png
: We were about to get heat stroke from trying and I got a bright idea. I wrapped a loop around each front hoof and each time I picked up a hoof (one at a time) my friend gave a push. Worked like a charm, but I doubt the judges would care to much for me using that method in a halter, showmanship or obstacle class and don't even think about driving or jumping :lol: Anyway. I am sure persistence will pay off, it's just my day to gripe about something
default_wink.png
:

two words:

butt rope

default_smile.png

Yes, most of mine start out like this, but a butt rope is a good thing. Have someone lead the mare then run a soft, thick lead around the babies' rear under the tail and under the buttocks but not TOO low. Attach the lead to his halter as well. Give a little tug on the halter and as mom is being led away if he doesn't follow, encourage w/the butt rope (give it a tug as well). As soon as he steps forward, release the pressure and praise him.

it takes a while, but usually they will get it. I keep these lessons under 5 minutes and end on a positive note even if it's just one hoof forward on their part.

Good luck!

Liz M.

LOL, Normally this is very good advice Nootka, but already been there done that with him, he only gets more disagreeable. I plan on just going slow, and I do keep the lessons short. I really was just commenting on his attitude. Since he was about 3 days old he could care less where his mother is at most of the time so it really isn't any help to lead her away as he doesn't care if she goes
default_rolleyes.gif
: the little stink. Most of my other foals caught on in one or two sessions of using a butt rope, but he seems to just get madder each time. Oh well, hopefully his "I'm all that and I know it" attitude will someday pay off in the ring if I can ever get him led to the in gate LOL

We do the butt rope, leading mom a couple that work for us too are one, having someone walk behind them (just out of kicking range) so the horse can see the person. Stick your arms out at the side at shoulder height and wiggle your fingers - they'll usually move away from the monster behind them. This works for alot of babies.

Our favorite though, we just apply pressure, release with the babies. When they plant themselves, we wait them out keeping tension on the lead rope. Any forward motion - hopping, jump, one step - release on the lead and reward with praise and scratching. We do the kangeroo boop a bit until they figure out what we want.

We don't get angry or impatient with the babies that don't know what we want - the adults that pull stunts that is a different story! I've learned to lead with one hand and tap their butt with the whip using my left hand so they don't see the whip.

Something to try I learned while working with Standardbreds. Works for most but not all the foals I have had. I halter the baby than put them on the off side of mom so the mom is between myself and the foal and run the foals leadrope through moms halter, than lead mom. Most of the time the baby will accept this without a fight as mom appears to be the one directing the action. Doesn't work 100% though.

Yes I am using a couple of these methods. I'm not working with him everyday, but the kids have signed him up to go to the 4-H fair in July so I am hoping he'll change his mind. I already told the kids though we will not push him so it may not happen and they understand. If he holds true to 99% of horses I've worked with, one good time of forward motion and he'll figure out how much easier it is and he'll be an old pro in a couple sessions. I always use the pressure and release method if they don't follow right along with mom. he's so funny though he will let you put the halter on and yes he has been clipped as it was so hot, but as soon as you put the lead on he just knows what is up and sets like a little short legged, short earred mule
default_rolleyes.gif
: I just worked with him yesterday before I posted this and I did get two forward steps out of him so I gave him a good scratching in his favorite spot and then let him go. When you take the halter off he stays right there so he isn't afraid, just a very opinionated squirt. The problem though with pressure/release on these little guys....I don't have the best back in the world and I always try to keep the pressure "down to there level" that way it is hopefully less likely to hurt their neck if they'd decide to get ticked and pull real hard or want to rear/flip. I try to avoid ever letting one flip (falling on their side sometimes happens before you can stop it, but I mean true up and over flipping) I know a gal who for some crazy reason was working with a yearling filly on concrete and she got mad and flipped. She hit her head hard and seemed dazed but fine. She died a couple days later and I can't help but think it was from that. So I always try to be cautious, but my back doesn't appreciate all the bending over
default_wink.png
: I'll have to let you know how it goes. I really think another day or two and he'll be fine. I am going to work him more the next couple days as I will be gone for a week and then I will be so busy getting everyone else ready for the fair. I'll update as soon as he changes his mind. Thanks for all the great advice. I just thought I'd post something fun for all to read and hopefully get some tips going for others going through this too.

Latest posts

Back