Anyone else doing corned beef and cabbage today?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mominis

Reaction score
My family has always done corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's. I cook for my co-workers about once a week and today they are going to have corned beef and cabbage because we are all stuck at work on St. Pat's. Boo-hiss! There are so many ways to do it, I thought maybe we could all share how we prepare ours. I do my pot roast very similarly to the way I'm doing the corned beef.

First I'm putting some Olive Oil in a big pot and letting it go until it shimmers. Then I take my corned beef, tied with butcher's twine, and lightly sear it (do you think I'm nuts for searing a corned beef? lol I thought it was a little nuts myself, but last year it came out so great, I'm doing it again). Then I'm pulling the beef out once lightly seared and putting in some cabbage, carrots, and new potatoes and letting them cook together with the corned beef goo, but not the beef itself.

Once that all cooks together (or, to borrow a term from Food Network, 'marries'), I add the beef back and then pour in two bottles of beer, about 2 TBSP of spicy mustard, and a smooch of vinegar to balance the acidity. Then I put the whole thing in the oven for about 4 hours and viola! The cabbage cooks down with bits of potato, carrot and sort of forms a thick sauce so I also do cabbage that is not in the mix with the rest of it to garnish the pan with. I do that with some sausage and vinegar and just a pinch of sugar.

So, what is your secret recipe for Corned beef and cabbage?

That sounds good! I am a foodie, so appreciate a great way to change up the CB recipe. I will pass the one on to my friend, whose turn it is this year for the CB. I am making colecannon. It is like mashed potatos with cabbage, cheese and chives mixed it and baked.

We are not having our CB till Friday night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, it's cooking now. Just gonna watch how much I eat and enjoy!

Wish I had seen your secret recipe sooner. I will have to copy it out and try it next time. It sounds delish!

Thanks. Hey, Minxiesmom, can you tell me more about this colecannon? Sounds interesting!
sure!!

I boil the potatos till soft. Finely chop the cabbage and boil with the spices that came with the Corned Beef, till soft. Rice (or mash) the cooked potatos and smoosh in the cooked cabbage. Grate one or two cups of your favorite cheese (I use low fat) and stir in. Finely chop a handfull of chives and add. Stir in a cup or so of sour cream (I use fat free). Add salt and pepper to taste. Spray a dish with Pam and put the potato mixture in and smooth it out. Put into a 350 oven for 1/2 hour or so to reheat. You can always sprinkle a bit more cheese over the top the last few minutes of cooking. Yum! Yum!
default_eat.gif
I never met a potato I didn't like!!!

Mmmmmm that sounds awesome! I may try that as a side the next time I do sausages. This is so fun, I love recipe swapping! And I have to agree, I am a spud lover myself.

My mom is on holiday with our american relatives, they have met up in Florida and are having corn beef and cabbage, I read thru your recipe and not sure what WE would call it in ireland, here corn beef comes out of a tin and you slice it for sandwiches or use for a dinner.

Tonight we had irish stew, wheaten bread and guiness !!

Irish stew...normally made with lamb I use steak pieces cook in a little water unitl they are tender (falling apart) I normally do them the night before.

Peel loads of potatoes put in a big pot, layer with carrots then onions and your cooked beef on top use the stock as your cooking liquid for the stew. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.

DO YOU have powder bisto ? it's used to make the stock into a gravy, you can lightly mash your spuds ( I like them big) mix together in the brown thick gravy and serve with wheaten or crusty bred...real butter a guiness and HP sauce (brown sauce). Tastes even better tomorrow, good food for a saturday when the family need to eat at different times.

Someone mentioned culcannon, in Ireland we make champ ! Boil a nice floury potato, drain of water. Add to the potatoes milk and cream real butter salt and pepper, let it heat through on top of the cooker, add chopped spring onion (scallions - white on the end then a green long shute) mash and cream through the liquid, serve with link sausages or crispy bacon.

ENJOY !

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to do the corned beef and cabbage thing today. But I am still sick. Not real sick but can't get over it. I figure if everyone is sick and can't eat it. Why make it? We will save it for another day. Since I do not need an excuse for corned beef and cabbage.

YUM!!!!!!!!! Not having the corned beef and cabbage tonight
default_sad.png
. I guess its ok cause Im Irish decent. LOL. Havent made it to the store and not feeling well and the 3 year old not feeling well. So.......... Not I. Hope you all enjoy!

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY!

KISS ME IM IRISH!!!

as if by magic 2, thanks for sharing that recipe! How cool to have something new to try from across the pond! I'm going to give that one a go next week!

Sorry to hear so many people have the spring sickies. I hope you all feel better.

Corned Beef always tastes best on St Patrick's Day
default_biggrin.png

I started ours at about 1 PM this afternoon. Baked it at 250 degrees

for 4 1/2 hours.

I wrap it tightly in aluminum foil. It is prepared with the spices

included in the package and brown sugar layered over the fatty section.

About a half hour before dinner I take about 80% of the juice, from the

baking pan and add water to cover the potatoes, carrots, etc and simmer

till tender.........

Melt in your mouth, tender .......

Ive been running with medical tests and my grandmother is in the hospital, and i forgot to pick up a corned beef. Ive never prepared it like that, but it sounds delicious. Is there something I can substitute the beer with? I know it will change the flavor, but I wont cook with alcohol while Im pregnant. I know they say the alcohol cooks off, but it's not a chance I can take. Maybe I can make on this weekend.

You know, I think you may be able to use that non-alcoholic beer O'Douls and get the same flavor without the alcohol. I've not tried it, as I believe the alcohol itself cooks out, but I can sure understand you not wanting to take any risks at all whle pregnant.

Not being a big beer fan myself, I was hesitant to try cooking with that flavor but it is amazing how different cooking it makes. The food doesn't taste at all like beer. I do my pot roast with beer and my corned beef with beer, the added benefit is that I have to buy a six pack to get the two bottles that I use in the recipe and that leaves 4 for hubby when he gets home from work. lol

By the way, the corned beef was a real hit last night. I just love feeding people! My new Food Network mag came in the mail today, so I'll have all sorts of new recipes to try this month, including that wonderful Irish stew that as if by magic 2 mentioned.

Mominis,

What oven temp do you use on the CB for 4 hours. I am guessing 325? We are using your recipe tonight.

Four hours at 350 for a 5 pound beef, if the beef is less than 5 pounds, then it's roughly 48 minutes per pound baking time. You can bake it in the large pot that you braise and cook in, I've had the best success putting a parchment round under the lid and then putting the lid on top of that. Best of luck with the recipe!!

Thanks,

I think it is about a 4 lb roast. So 350 for 3.2 hrs or so. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. Did you cut up the veggies really small for the meat to cook on. My thoughts are that if they are really small they will be easier to moosh into a sauce.

Latest posts

Back