Anybody ever been pepper sprayed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
ICK! I could say a lot of other choice words about it. Today was chemical training for work. WE were not required to do that part but could volunteer..........dumb me! I would never wish that on anybody. The rest of the group was gassed, and when they were done came out by me, which made me gag just the smoke on them. So here I was almost puking bearly able to breath and blind! What a wonderful day. I got home from work, showered and put an ice bag on my face. I dont think I will be volunteering any time soon.
default_unsure.png

Nope not kidding. ONe guy asked me how it felt as he giggled, I told him to come over and i would kick in between the legs and that would give him a good idea.

I feel fine now, eyes are a bit tired. HOwever I did learn a lot from it, and will be prepaired for next time.

OH man. That had to have not been good. The only time I was around pepper spray, was back when I was in Middle school, some stupid kid wanted to get out of biology class and sprayed it. that was quite awhile ago. Yuck yuck yuck.

I haven't been & hopefully never will be, but I know a couple people who have. Experience with pepper spray is a training requirement for police officers here--not sure all departments, but some. A friend's husband was trained as a special constable because of his job with the Fire Commissioner's office, and he had to be pepper sprayed. Not nice. Then a friend's son and some friends, taking some forestry course out in BC decided it would be "fun" one night to spray each other with their bear spray. Have to wonder about some people's idea of "fun"???

Sure, several times. Once for training purposes, other times were in combat and took a hit due to splash or transfer. Have you ever been Tazed? Not that is a rush! Not something I want to do again. But it least it only hits you for a second, where pepper burns for hours, even after you wash. Yes, I work in law enforcement.

Kellie LOL glad you added that it is nice to know why you were on the opposite size of a tazor gun LOL
default_laugh.png

My mom got pepper sprayed when she was returning prisoners to the county jail that were out on work release. It was an accident. But she was allergic to it and still has scars on her face. She didn't even get an apology. Good ol' Washoe County Sheriff.

I was having trouble with a neighbor who "propositioned" me one day, then came over to my house drunk the next and when I pretended I wasn't home, he tried the door knob to see if the door was locked. It really, really scared me! He was stupid enough to come back after my husband came home, and my husband took care of him coming around. But just to be on the safe side, we went out and bought me 2 cans of pepper spray and a 950,000 volt taser. This thread has comforted me in knowing that should I need to use either of them, they will serve their purpose.

On a side note, I received an email last week that said that instead of using pepper spray in your own home, you should use a can of wasp spray. It serves the same purpose as pepper spray, but you have less of a chance of accidently getting yourself with it, and you don't have to be as close to the intruder (further shooting distance). Very interesting...

Never been tazed, I am in corrections so that isnt a requirement. Also remember the stuff Law Enforcement and Corrections use is stronger then the stuff you buy in a store.

I wouldnt use wasp spray, the burning agent in Pepper spray is pepper, so not harmful really(unless you are allergic to it). Todays shower wasnt bad but my eyes are raw around them and my eyebrows. I felt the burn again when I was in the cold and my eyes watered. Was told it could last up to 72 hours.

It was an excellent learning experiance, but I wouldnt volunteer again.

LOL, no to any of that stuff and wouldnt want to be either. I would worry about a tazer as home protection. Some folks have died from being tazed, and what if someone had a pacemaker or had heart problems or something and they died? I wouldnt want to even go there..... I would stick with the spray (hope your neighbor never came back Kanoas) to just deter someone...................

Okay, after reading a couple of the responses I must ask... If you felt the need to spray someone with pepper spray or to fire at someone with a tazor, would you really care if you harmed them? I mean, if I were being attacked in a parking lot or if my home were being invaded I would not give a GOSH DARN if I sprayed them with poison, blinding wasp spray or gave them heart failure with a tazor! What the...
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, after reading a couple of the responses I must ask... If you felt the need to spray someone with pepper spray or to fire at someone with a tazor, would you really care if you harmed them? I mean, if I were being attacked in a parking lot or if my home were being invaded I would not give a GOSH DARN if I sprayed them with poison, blinding wasp spray or gave them heart failure with a tazor! What the...
default_wacko.png
You know...my husband always tried to talk me into getting something for protection and I never wanted to because I was always afraid that I'd "hurt" someone. I figured that I'd just grab a bat or something close by if something ever happened.

When my neighbor (a 19 year old ex gangmember/drug dealer) tried to enter my home, it was broad daylight and I have a habit of not locking my door because my mom and brother are our next door neighbors. It's kind of hard to explain, but our duplex is an "L" shape, and my mom's bedroom is in my yard. Our front doors are literally 10 feet from each other. It just so happened that they weren't home, and luckily I heard my front gate open/close. I rushed to my door and locked it, then peeked out the peephole to see that it was him. He knocked twice, then started saying something about knowing I was home because he could hear me (must have been the tv). He then wiggled the door knob and when he realized it was locked he muttered "fine, if that's the way you want it to be". Then he left, just to return a half hour later after my husband had come home. I guess he figured that I really wasn't home and now that the car was here, he could "talk" to me. It was really scary because I was literally a minute away from not having the door locked. What if I had been in a bedroom or bathroom and never heard the gate? What if he had actually entered my home? My husband did stand outside and talk with him (could smell the alcohol on him) and told him to stay away from his wife. It's been almost a year now and he hasn't come back.

But I can honestly say now...it was the most scary feeling and should someone enter my home uninvited, I don't care what I have to do to protect myself. Pepper spray and a tazer are a lot better than shooting someone in my opinion, but if they have entered my home and I try a non-deadly way to take them down, then I can have a clear conscience should they have a bad reaction to it. If they valued their life, they wouldn't be sneaking into someone's home! I don't know what his intentions were, and I doubt he was thinking logically at the time.

I suggest finding out the laws of your state before you decide what to get for protection. Some state you can not use more force then what is used on you. So if a guy comes in with out any weapons you can not shoot and kill him, you will be in trouble.

Angela, you do have a good point, if I felt endangered to that point... well, that is why I have a gun (or two or three) and even spray is not going to stop some folks, even if you use the whole can! However, I also realize the consequences if I had to actually use it, and what I may have to answer to, even if defending myself.

Some dont think about that, and common sense can go a long way, and sometimes you only have a split second to make a decision on what to do.

But with all the weird lawsuits now, even if you are defending yourself on your own property, I would hate to see someone do time because they tried to stop an attacker with a taser or something, and the person died. But, I guess it's the risk you run defending yourself in ANY manner with anything.....

I've just met a lot of folks in my lifetime, that really dont have any common sense, and would not want to see a gun, taser OR even a can of spray in their hand, LOL

default_wacko.png
You know...my husband always tried to talk me into getting something for protection and I never wanted to because I was always afraid that I'd "hurt" someone. I figured that I'd just grab a bat or something close by if something ever happened.

When my neighbor (a 19 year old ex gangmember/drug dealer) tried to enter my home, it was broad daylight and I have a habit of not locking my door because my mom and brother are our next door neighbors. It's kind of hard to explain, but our duplex is an "L" shape, and my mom's bedroom is in my yard. Our front doors are literally 10 feet from each other. It just so happened that they weren't home, and luckily I heard my front gate open/close. I rushed to my door and locked it, then peeked out the peephole to see that it was him. He knocked twice, then started saying something about knowing I was home because he could hear me (must have been the tv). He then wiggled the door knob and when he realized it was locked he muttered "fine, if that's the way you want it to be". Then he left, just to return a half hour later after my husband had come home. I guess he figured that I really wasn't home and now that the car was here, he could "talk" to me. It was really scary because I was literally a minute away from not having the door locked. What if I had been in a bedroom or bathroom and never heard the gate? What if he had actually entered my home? My husband did stand outside and talk with him (could smell the alcohol on him) and told him to stay away from his wife. It's been almost a year now and he hasn't come back.

But I can honestly say now...it was the most scary feeling and should someone enter my home uninvited, I don't care what I have to do to protect myself. Pepper spray and a tazer are a lot better than shooting someone in my opinion, but if they have entered my home and I try a non-deadly way to take them down, then I can have a clear conscience should they have a bad reaction to it. If they valued their life, they wouldn't be sneaking into someone's home! I don't know what his intentions were, and I doubt he was thinking logically at the time.
KanoasDestiny,

I am confused about your response to my post, it sounds as if you are agreeing with me?

but if they have entered my home and I try a non-deadly way to take them down, then I can have a clear conscience should they have a bad reaction to it.
Essentially the point of my (earlier) post.

I suggest finding out the laws of your state before you decide what to get for protection. Some state you can not use more force then what is used on you. So if a guy comes in with out any weapons you can not shoot and kill him, you will be in trouble.

Angela, you do have a good point, if I felt endangered to that point...well, that is why I have a gun (or two or three) and even spray is not going to stop some folks, even if you use the whole can! However, I also realize the consequences if I had to actually use it, and what I may have to answer to, even if defending myself.
Some dont think about that, and common sense can go a long way, and sometimes you only have a split second to make a decision on what to do.

But with all the weird lawsuits now, even if you are defending yourself on your own property, I would hate to see someone do time because they tried to stop an attacker with a taser or something, and the person died. But, I guess it's the risk you run defending yourself in ANY manner with anything.....

I've just met a lot of folks in my lifetime, that really dont have any common sense, and would not want to see a gun, taser OR even a can of spray in their hand, LOL
In certain situations I can honestly sit here and say that I do not care what the law says. If someone attempts to attack me or attempts to forcibly enter my home without my consent I am going to protect myself in a manner that I see fit at the time IRREGARDLESS of what the law says about it and I will gladly accept the consequences of my actions. Also, I can honestly sit here and say that I would rather be alive in jail because I killed someone that was attempting to attack me or attempting to forcibly enter my home with the intent to harm me or my belongings (why else would someone forcibly enter your home?) than to be killed by that person. COMMON SENSE! I do know that a lot of states are lenient in these situations; Kentucky must be one such state as I occasionally hear similar stories on the news. It hasn't been that long ago that a home owner in Lexington shot and killed a man because he got drunk on a Friday or Saturday night and thought that he was at his own home and that he had locked himself out of his own home. He was "breaking into" what he thought was his own home and the (actual) home owner shot and killed him because he was forcibly entering their home (the home of a family with children) and the home owner was not charged for the man's death. It was just an unfortunate situation.

KanoasDestiny,
I am confused about your response to my post, it sounds as if you are agreeing with me?
Yep, I was agreeing with you. I used to feel like I would never harm anyone for any reason, regardless of the outcome to myself. However, I must have been living under the assumption "it would never happen to me". Once I was put into a situation where my life could have been jeopardized, I quickly realized that I would be capable of protecting myself and not feel remorse. I too would do whatever it took, and deal with the consquenses later. However, in California, if someone is entering your home and you feel that your life is in danger, you have a right to protect yourself.

Latest posts

Back