Anybody else itching to clip horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Socks Miniature

Reaction score
The weather here has picked up beautifully over the past 2 weeks! The temp is up to 10 degrees (50 farenheight), the days are getting longer, the flowers are even sprouting early, and spring is in the air.... wait a minute... its only January! Noooooooooo!

I am now battling the same bug I get every year... "I need to clip the horsesitis". I cannot even bear to take the clippers out to do bridle paths right now, as I know once I start, I will at least NEED to do a partial head and neck right? We all know that halters look and fit better on non fuzzy heads. Plus there is one horse in particular that I want to see what is under all that fluff!

sigh...I know there is still a minimum of 4 weeks before I really could clip horses down...until then I will be sitting on my hands... Once show season finishes, the next one always seems too far away...

My horses look like Yaks... that have rolled in red dirt so they all look like some hairy form of winter tomatoes (if there is a winter variety
default_biggrin.png
). I can't wait to get my hands on a set of clippers
default_impatient.jpg

With a temp of zero this morning and possible 10 below zero tonight - no clipitis going on here! Cabin fever, weight gain,

urge to bring the horses in by the woodstove......yes
default_biggrin.png

Buffaloes have moved into our barn
default_biggrin.png
I wish that clipping was only 4 weeks away....more like 4 months here.

I saw that weather was beautiful in parts of B.C.......

Its been gorgeous here lately! for the next 10 days it isnt supposed to go below 5 degrees even at night! (41 degrees F) For the most part it has been warmer than average!! I am so hoping for an early spring! I will have to clip down one of my mares early to go to Patty's at the end of the month... so maybe that will help fix the bug... or make it worse!

We just did clip our one and only filly. Poor baby was dripping with sweat any time it was 55F or above (which is getting more and more common here) and I was finding it impossible to get all the dandruff and dirt out of her coat so she was super itchy. She's plenty warm in our insulated barn at night, and the days are quite warm, especially with her blanket.

Oh, I hate to admit it but clipitis has struck here in a major way. I was at the barn a little while ago and I just couldn't stand it. Had a foal born in October that I just had to see her cute little face. Then my son said why didn't you do a little bit of her neck, I wanted to see it? So out came the Double K's. I did just do a little of her neck. Sure wanted to do more. But figured it would turn really cold if I did. She is in the barn so it's not bad on her. She was soooooooo cute under all that wool.

I would so love to clip right now, but no way. Not in Michigan. That won't be happening until May or June.
default_no.gif

LOL! Not yet...still too cold, though not as cold as it was a month ago.

Now last year, I was going crazy in May and our first girl was taking *forever* to drop her winter/weanling woolies. Our youngest girl this year is going to be hardest to wait for because I think she's going to be quite the surprise under there!

I had a fungi excuse to clip my mare and boy she looks so much better than last year! and the fungi is gone : )

Yes! So can't wait to clip!!!!!

i can't stand it! I have a colt born in Sept. I still don't know what is under there. He is just now letting loose some of his baby fur. His face is shedding so much, his eyes are irratated from the hair. I am really considering doing a below the brow to the muzzle clip on him. He is put in every day by 5:30 and doesn't go out in bad weather. It sounds like I am trying to reason with myself, doesn't it?
default_wink.png

I've been working at an eventing barn over the winter and have done more than enough trace and hunter clips to satisfy my urge to clip. My guys can stay hairy a while longer
default_wink.png

I can't wait for spring so I can clip!! We are still have sub zero temps up here in Maine, so I cant clip until April, but April cant get here soon enough! I HATE winter hair! I usually head and neck clip in March and do bodies Mid/late April. It seems sooo far away. Come on warmer weather!

~Jen~

ME me!!!! I have a hairy palomino yak!!!! She seemed to be extra itchy and after two dustings of lice powder and a dose of Ivermectrin,,,, still is itchy. Half of her is long straight haired and half all rubbed off. EWWWWWW. But it may still freeze yet here. It has been up to almost 60 and down to upped 30s at night.

Oh my!!! I am soooooo itching to clip my new colt I got in October. He came with lots of winter hair being from KY. Came real close not too long ago since we are in FL but so glad I didn't after having 2 weeks of an unusual cold winter blast for us down here and no blanket his size. Warming up now, but will continue to impatiently wait......might do a head and neck clip soon though!!
default_wub.png

OK, just come over to my place because we have FOUR we "have" to clip for next weekend's stock show! You're "supposed" to be able to show fuzzies but let's be realistic... if my horse isn't clipped and Jane Doe's is, and all things being equal.... I will lose.
default_rolleyes.gif

And I HATE clipping. *sigh*

Lucy

We still have a good three and a half months at least until we can clip. It would be different if we had a barn or some where warm to put the horses if it gets cold. Alberta weather
default_wacko.png

Back