Any wine drinkers out there?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
I know next to nothing about wine since I don't drink it hardly at all, except for the rare glass of white wine. We'll be serving prime rib at the wedding, and I need suggestions for what would complement that well. I know you're "supposed to" serve red wine with beef, but that's about it.

Also, any suggestions for a nice champagne or good sparkling wine for toasting?

Thanks for any input!

Go down to a decent wine shop and ask.

You can walk in and tell them, "I'm planning a wedding, the meals are X & Y and I want to spend $XX/bottle" and they'll be able to suggest some options. You could buy single bottles and take them to your tastings to see how they do.

You also could ask your caterer (if you're using one) what they recommend.

Assuming the wine shop isn't staffed by idiots who don't know wine, this is really the best way to score wine. These guys normally KNOW wine and can help you choose a sophisticated choice suitable to your budget!
default_luck.gif

I agree with the two suggestions...... A wine shop or the caterer will be good sources. If you don't have a wine shop, but have a wine department in your grocery store, there's usually a department manager who may be able to help too.

I'm more of a white wine drinker. But Larry likes red. He says to ask what they think about serving a Red Bordeaux. It's a heavy red wine which people like with beef. A "lighter" red is Merlot.

As for champagne, I suggest either Friexenet or Pruseco...Mmmmmmm.

Kendall Jackson makes a nice merlot--a little pricey. Gladiator also has a nice merlot. I like Alice White chardonnay and drink it with everything. Black Box wines are nice.

Might be fun to feature some local wineries, but that would be more pricey.

Andre Cold Duck is inexpensive. Most guests are probably just looking for maximum fizz for the fun, and it's nice and fizzy.

Here is a link to a fabulous winery that I love everything they make. If you like more of a sweet/dry wine, the velvet red is great. The pink catawaba is wonderful for toasting! Very crisp and fresh tasting. Also , Verdi Spumante is an import from Italy that is very reasonably priced and great for toasting. If you are having any catering at the wedding, then they should be able to get what you want at a reduced rate, but I'd still price check other places as well... Hope this helps...

Stone Hill Winery

Stone Hill Winery Wine 101

Stone Hill Wine and Food Parings

Verdi Spumante

If you have a SAMS Club close to you most of them have a very nice wine section and someone there could make some nice suggestions.

Okay, I must have missed something some time back and I don't think it's Alexis getting married, Judy??????

As someone suggested, the Australian red wines are quite good and you can find some that are extremely reasonable in price (YellowTail). Now having said that Ontario wines have come a long, long way and many are excellent as well now.

Go to your local LCBO or send them an email (main site) and ask your question. I know you will get a very knowledgeable response to your question?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a restraunt and 3 star hotel in switzerland....we just had our wedding party ....Prosecco is fine as a toast or apperö, its the Italian version, and just fine. If you are having a Vorspice ( starter plate ) that should be something that would go with a white wine , a Reisling would be fine with a soup or salad, If you are serving beef, you need a full bodied red, and people expect and love the reds. With beef I would choose a Cabernet Sauvignon. You really should serve a Cab with beef. Hess is nice but pricy... Go to a Trader Joes if you have one. Ironstone makes reasonably priced wines and they are quite good. Try a few out , but stick with a Riesling for white and cab for red, find one in your budget, and go for it. If you have questions about the table , setting it, pairing wine with dessert, etc, I am your gal ... feel free to e mail me , its my job here , and my husband is a Chef.

[email protected]

www.kistenpass.com

I have been thinking , and I have another idea for you. If you dont like the idea of a Cabernet, ( they can be expensive) you could go with a blended red wine. They are usually a lot smoother ( not so acidic) and they could be consumed at a younger age , hence making them a lot more affordable. I would suggest a Shiraz -Cabernet blend , I would try a few that are in your budget ( blends and Cabernets), and go with the one YOU like best.

Cheers!

Once I rented a shaved ice machine ( 50 US dollars for the weekend) and offered non alcoholic shaved ice , and a margarita icey...everyone loved it , it was very hot that day.

Okay, I must have missed something some time back and I don't think it's Alexis getting married, Judy??????
As someone suggested, the Australian red wines are quite good and you can find some that are extremely reasonable in price (YellowTail). Now having said that Ontario wines have come a long, long way and many are excellent as well now.

Go to your local LCBO or send them an email (main site) and ask your question. I know you will get a very knowledgeable response to your question?

LOL, Danielle!!!! You must have missed it a couple of months ago when I posted that I'm getting married on the 4th of July and moving to Ohio!! However, you could probably deduce that from the information in my signature!! LOL!!!!!!!!! My wine shopping would be somewhat easier if I were doing it here in Ontario with our handy-dandy LCBO's (that take back unopened bottles!) but they don't have them in Ohio. The local Kroger grocery store has an extensive selection of wines, though, and that's likely where I'll be making my purchases, if they have any of the ones that have been suggested here.

Krissy, thank you for your input. I would very much like to come and sample your wine and food some day!!! I had the immense pleasure of going to Switzerland once many, many years ago and would love to go back some day..... I just read your latest post, and will make a note of all your suggestions for when I go shopping. Thanks again!

I personally would "try" the Merlot and the Cabernet Sauvignon and see which one you like best. The Merlot is a little bit lighter and the Cabernet Sauvignon tends to be heavier and if your NOT a red wine drinker you may find it to be to strong tasting and not like it. Of course you have to think what your guest would like to. But, I think you'd be safer with the Merlot cause it's in the middle of the road. But that's just me. YOU try them and see which one you think and ask the store manager too and see which one is more popular for the meat and the area your in too. Maybe it is the Cabernet Sauvignon, each area has they're own taste and buying habits find out what he/she sells more of.

Congrat's and good luck in wine tasting. Have fun. Fix a nice Pasta dinner if you don't want to eat beef with it, if your not in the mood, if your going to test it, OH YUMMY..... If it's Merlot and you don't like it you can pass it my way, I'll drink it....
default_biggrin.png
TJ

Latest posts

Back