Any ideas on what can be wrong? Please help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays Update on Dante': Dante' seems to hold his head up more today! Even sniffing with his head in the air like a stallion does when a mare is in heat! When he walks through the pasture he almost looks normal. No droopy lip either! He would not eat his feed again but is nibbling grass. While I was preparing their food I looked out the window and Dante' looked like he was trying to poop or just had, so when I went and checked, there was just a few drops of REAL watery green poop. I couldnt see that he had even gone more some where else, just those drops. His temp is normal. I massaged his neck and rubbed him down all over. His sores don't look as bad today. I tried the vet but no answer so I left a message.

I'm located in Winona, about 2 hours south of the Twin Cities in Minnesota, right along the river and 2 miles across the bridge from Wisconsin. I am about 1 hour South of Rochester, along I 90.

I am so appreciative of all the offers to help and feel very blessed in that the combined experience on this forum as well as the compassion and understanding is amazing to me. Since I've gotten into minis, Donna's help, knowledge and caring has been like a warm blanket to me. I have cried on her shoulder so much through all of this and she just continues to be there, genuinly understanding and offering any help that she can. Thank you so much Donna for your unconditional friendship and the kind words. Honestly, God is going to bless you all REALLY BIG!

Sanny, your a wealth of information. I copied and printed all of your post as well as others on here and am heading to the farm store this morning to see what I can get. Until I talk to a vet, the suggestions on this forum are as good as it gets and so welcome to me. I'm comforted to have a place like this when my own skills are lacking (which, by the way are many!)

I will continue to keep updating on Dante's condition. I wish he could talk to me and tell me where he hurts! I know this may sound really dramatic but I have sat with him and asked for his forgiveness so much and I just can't accept that I've let him down like this. He looks at me with those huge brown eyes and I KNOW he wants to communicate how he feels. I have had tons of animals all of my life and I have NEVER been so close to any of them as I am to him. I am going to pray,pray and pray some more and I believe with all my heart that he WILL come out of this.

Anyway, sorry this got so lengthy. I guess I just need to talk. Again, thank you all!!! I will keep you posted.

Talk to Dante' and don't feel silly about it. He hears you. Bonnie told me to do the same thing with mine when he was in an accident. When I was done he had been over in the corner of his stall as he was afraid of everything but then came over and put his head on my chest as I sat in his stall with him..

Amanda

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope things improve as they sound like they are. As for "being silly talking to them", then I think most of us on here would probably fit the description. Sometimes we talk to them for their sake and a lot of the time we talk to them for OUR sake. Even if they can't talk back they can be wonderful listeners!

Good luck and prayers for your little guy.

know that she has been to see the horses almost every day since they were taken there and she has not been happy with their care, her funds are so limited (hence the reason for trying to put them in a place where she thought they would get good care)
................. Would she be willing to place them in a caring home now? Between all of the caring forum buddies here, surely there is someone that can help her find & verify before hand what kind of home they would be going to...... Perhaps the future new owners would be willing to give her at least the amount of money that was spent on the vet bill???? .................. I can imagine her agony worrying about her horses not being cared for properly............ Sending best wishes that everything will work out well & they will be placed into caring homes.

The best advice I could give you is either to call your Vet to come out or if you can, take him to the Vet.

I do not like the sounds of his signs. Please let us know how he is doing when you can.

Joyce

Glad he is doing better. I am not sure if you know Bonnie but you need to listen to what she said. She basically gave you a free reading on your guy and telling you his neck and back are hurt is what is wrong with him. I trust Bonnie 110%.

Another update: As I was watching Dante' while in the barn, he had fresh hay but he chose to reach through the fence and eat old hay and weeds. That made me remember something a holistic equine person told me. She said that when horses are in the wild, they will only eat burdock ,thistle and stuff like that when they feel their body needs it, like if their stomach hurts. I am really getting into the natural remedy and food thing and believe that God would not have put all this stuff on earth for nothing. So I took Dante' out for a walk outside of his pen and barn. It was strange because he was not interested in the grass in the pasture that much or the hay but he really chowed into the grass in the yard and ditches! He ate stuff that horses normally turn their noses up at. I would have stopped him but I just felt in my gut that he knew best! My husband and I spent a lot of time with him doing this. Dante' pooped and it was really watery but I was just happy that his bowels were working. I had called the vet this morning and he came over this afternoon. He is not a mini person but he's the only one that would charge me later. Anyway, he gave Dante' a little Batamine(sp?) and took blood. He is thinking that Dante' has ulcers and is VERY beat up from this past week. (whatever injuries are involved there, I'm trusting Bonnie to know!) The vet checked his neck but said he seemed to be holding his head up ok now. He took blood said he'd call later. I'm glad he did not suggest antibiotics. All of our bodies have good and bad bacteria. I believe that when they give that, it kills the bad bacteria but it kills the good ones as well and in doing so, stresses the immune system. I use to have live probiotics (good bacteria) here for the horses but since we have been so strapped from me not working, I don't have any around. I have seen it work wonders! When I fed the 'kids' tonight, I only made up some warm soaked beet pulp, a little apple sauce and grass pellets for him. He ate it! I was sooo happy! When the vet called he said the blood is normal so he is thinking its ulcers. He told me he can get the meds ready for him and I can pick it up tomorrow. It is going to cost about $125 just for the meds but I have to do it (charge it of course). It is a paste called GastroGuard (sp?) given once a day for 2 wks. Has anyone heard of that? I wish I knew of something natural to give him to heal the ulcers. The vet said that he believes it was brought on by the stress.

I now realize who Bonnie is and what she is gifted in. I have PM'd her and she has PM'd me. I am grateful for the huge hearts that you all have. It's so nice to know that people still do care. I am going to get to the barn to see how Dante' is doing. Last time I was down there, he was nibbling grass in the pasture. He is going to come out of this...I just know it. I will keep you updated. God Bless again!, Linda.

Latest posts

Back