Any ideas on what can be wrong? Please help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looney2n

Reaction score
I really would appreciate some advice asap! It's kind of a long story but I'll try to shorten it up. I've got a little chestnut gelding (Dante'), a palamino mare (Butter) and a yearling paint colt (Scout). Things are getting very tough financially so I gave them to a ranch close to my home. The owner put them all in with her 'zoo' animals; zony, zedonk, mini donkeys, llama and some other minis. My little Dante' was just gelded last fall so he was acting pretty studdy when they all met and just didnt get a long with any of them. I kept going out to check on them and kept seeing kick marks (some open wounds) on Dante' and he was always alone in the woods with his head hanging down. I watched this for a week and finally couldnt stand it any longer. He looked so depressed!! I ended up bringing them all back home today. The mare and yearling are acting just fine but Dante' is still hanging his head and won't eat his grain. He took a few bites of hay and is nibbling grass in the pasture a little but he's just not right! Before he left last week, he was such a character, pulling on my clothes,digging in my pockets and following me everywhere just to get a treat. Now he won't even take a treat!! His head is always hanging down, his lower lip is hanging and he is drinking a lot of water. I didnt see his poop yet but when I was brushing his tail, it looked like it may have been runny. I have never taken a horses temp before so I would appreciate advice on that and any other ideas out there. PLEASE! I just went out again to check on him and he's so 'not himself'. It is tearing me apart that I did this to this little guy and I can't stop crying!. What can I do to help him be happy again! Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer.

Well I am not a vet..but can tell you what I would do..

First I would seperate him..if he picked something up you don't want all to get it..than take his temp..just use a baby thermometer..and if he has the runs..give him some bepto bismal to bring him through the night.

Have you checked his gelding wounds? Get his vitals and all the information you can get on him..and either call your vet in the morning..or get treatment advise over the phone.

Good luck!

Oh how said. You did the right thing by taking him home. I would call the vet for sure. In the mean time he might get better when he knows he is home. How long was he thier for?Please keep us posted. You will get great advice on the board. I will be reading. Good luck!

I know you said times are tough financially, but you really do need to call the vet. Your little guy sounds pretty sick to me...to take his temperature just use a regular digital thermometer, you can use some KY jelly on it to help insert it into his rectum (not far! just about an inch to an inch and a half). Normal temp is between 99 and 101 degrees.

Horses do not show this degree of illness unless they are REALLY SICK...it is part of the prey animal defense to be quite stoic, a visibly ill animal is just begging to be taken down by a predator.

He tells me his neck is to sore to pick up and his back is in very bad shape as well he says.

Someone reared up and came down on his neck and back.

This little guy needs some attention asap. One from a chiro and a vet. He has more going on as well.

You may p.m. me if you wish.

Bonnie

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonnie, you're an angel.

I hope you can get him better, bless you for getting them home.

When I got Dante', he was in a very small pen and had been for 4 years as far as I can tell! I had to literally crawl on the ground to get him to trust me. Now he totally trusts me and I go and give him away! But I had heard great things about the ranch where I took him and he was only there for a week. I have heard that Zedonks can be very aggressive so I was worried but the ranch owner seemed to know what she was doing!

I can't even imagine how alienated the poor little guy must have felt! I am so thankful to you all for your advice. I am going to go take his temp. I hesitate to put him in a stall because I don't want him to feel even more stressed out but if that is what I need to do, I guess I'd better. Do any of you think he is in pain then? When they hang their lower lip doesnt that usually mean something?

Bonnie gave you a good bit of information. She knows what she is talking about. PM her, she can help you more.

You might want to try Gas X and call the VET. He sounds dehydrated and sore and depleted. Probably from being run off the food and water. I wouldn't wait I would get him help. I am sorry this happened, maybe post where you are if you want someone that can afford his care. IF your close i would take him for you. Sorry your stuck in this situation, but his condition sounds serious, I would charge the vet or do whatever to try and get him help.
default_sad.png

Good advice so far. Also, take a look at his mouth, could he have been kicked in his teeth? Zebras can be very tough.

Robin

I just came in from checking on Dante'. He was laying down in the pasture and I was able to take his temp. It is 100. I checked his mouth and I dont see any injuries there either. I also checked to see if he was dehydrated. Nope, looks good there as well. Thank God Thank God Thank God!~~ :aktion033:

When I put medicine on his kick sores, he flinched so I'm assuming his ribs have to be pretty sore as well.

After reading Bonnies post, I remembered seeing Dante' go to the fence several times today and just hang his head over it so she may be correct that his neck is sore and he was trying to relieve the weight on the fence. There is so much knowledge on here! You all are so helpful! I am not too humble to say that I NEED as much advice as I can get and I think I've come to the right place.

I think that tomorrow if he is acting the same, I will just call the vet and get his opinion. Donna (Qttrae) gave me the name of a vet that is just wonderful and I think he can help. Thank you everyone for your ideas. I am going to keep praying for my little guy and I will keep you all updated. Again, Thanks so much!!

In addition to what Bonnie posted, I would also check out the possibility of ulcers.

MA

Not a vet, just a horse owner that's seen enough to know your little guy has a serious problem--The drooping lips tell me there is almost certainly something neurological going on—sleeping sickness or WNV—or more likely in this case—injury from a kick, possibly a skull fracture with brain damage. His head is hanging for the same reason—pain & brain swelling, as well as depression…have seen all those symptoms from WNV, but of course trauma will cause the exact same signs.

Poor little guy, he needs a vet ASAP!

Where are you in Minnesota? I will do whatever I can to help you out if I can, if I am located anywhere near you. We live 20 minutes west of Minneapolis, in Orono, MN on the north shore of Lake Minnetonka. I learned equine massage and equine adjustment (chiropractic work) to use on our horses and if I can share anything that will help him and make him feel better, I will.

I recommend getting the vet out as soon as you can. Hopefully your farm call fees and vet fees are somewhat reasonable and your vet might work with you on your bill if you explain your situation. If he were here with me I'd call my vet first and find out when she can get out and in the meantime - as long as she agreed with me - I'd give him Banamine to make him comfortable because obviously he is hurting, I'd give him some of the paste B-12 vitamin supplement that you can buy OTC which would likely perk him up and help his appetite, I'd put him in a stall in the barn with deep bedding where he felt safe and comfortable and give him water and hay free choice and somethng like warm, soaked beet pulp mixed with cut up carrots, apples and some flavored horse electrolytes or gatorade. If he is really stressed out from his whole experience, do what you can to help him de-stress. sit in his stall and talk to him, brush him a lot and massage him, leave a nightlight and soft music playing near his stalls. For stomach upsets I've given my horses pepto bismal when they seem upset or anxious and are starting in with the runny poop and not eating well. Back to the first suggestion though, call your vet and at least get advice over the phone if you don't want to or can't have them come out.

BONNIE FOGG also could be a huge help to you and she has already offered her advice and offered to help you out. She is a wonderful, caring, unique person and I absolutely trust and believe in her. She has done wonderful work with us and our horses and is just amazing and incredible. I stay in touch with her and consult with her frequently. No matter how hard I try or how much I work at it I will never be as good as she is with understanding and communicating with horses.

I talked with Linda on the phone for quite a while last night. She is a very caring person and loves her horses very much. I can assure you that she will do everything possible for her horses.

Linda has had a lot of medical problems and is not able to do a lot of physical work. She tried to do what she felt was the right thing by putting them in a home where she "thought" they would be loved and given great care.

I know that she has been to see the horses almost every day since they were taken there and she has not been happy with their care, her funds are so limited (hence the reason for trying to put them in a place where she thought they would get good care)

I know that she really and truly appreciates everyones advice and help but please know that she will do the what is right. Linda actually didn't realize that Bonnie was an animal communicator and she is keeping in contact with her.

Hugs and lots of prayers for you, Linda and for your precious little horses - Butter, Scout and Dante.

My prayers and light go to Dante and Linda. I can empathize with her predicament and the low funds. I would treat for ulcers just because of the physical and mental stress he's felt and is feeling. Bless you Bonnie for helping them both. Sunny, you're great and I hope if you're close enough your magic touches can help also. I do hope we can get updates. We care for all equines and forum folks.

I feel very badly for the little guy and badly for the owner. That said he sounds like he really does need help. They wait and see game is a large gamble. I hope today brought more rest and a new light and he is feeling a lot better. Just remember not to overbute. I hope is all muscular and will heal.

Your little guy is acting a lot like a mare we had who had a skull fracture.
default_sad.png

We didn't know what was wrong. It was very sad. The vet came out and thought she was fine! Well she wasn't.

I sure hope your horse will get better soon.

I wish there were a way for a vet to look at him.

The only times my horses have not wanted to pick up their heads has been from a sore neck. Once, there was an injury (deep puncture) and another time from shots (no abscess but still sore). It was so noticable on the ones I had with it because they are so high headed.

To me, though, the lip hanging thing does suggest it's more than "just" an injury. I hope things will be okay and hope that being back home where he's used to and happy will help things along as well.

PS where abouts are you located? Maybe someone here will be close enough to come take a look... though probably that member won't be a vet, maybe he or she will have some good insight and advice upon seeing him?

Latest posts

Back