Any ideas? Daughter going to college..... help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minisch

Reaction score
My daughter is going to College ! But, she wants to be in a warmer climate. Can anyone recommend a Community College in a warmer climate like AZ, NM, TX, CA, FL, SC. She loves nature and hiking. Doesn't want to live "dorm life" wants to rent an apartment. Any input ... ?

No idea of warmer area colleges; but when I was in college, freshman had to live in the dorm for at least one semester (possibly even their first year - so you'll probably really want to check out the college's housing rules), unless they were living at home (as in their parents home).

That is very exciting news for you!!! I did my breadth requirements at Santa Monica Community College (California) - it's a few blocks from the beach, and close to Santa Monica mountains and it is absoutely beautiful. However, the area has become crowded and somewhat difficult to find housing, but it is still rent controlled which is a plus. Keep us posted!

http://www.smc.edu/Pages/default.aspx

Liz N.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any certain academic area she'd like to get into? Seeing which ones are "better" in that area should help narrow it down. Price range will also help. I have friends who have gone to a few different Arizona schools and really like them. I think 2 yr schools are lenient on staying in dorms, but most 4 yr schools will make you stay in the dorms first yr unless you have a family member that lives in the town/city. It was ok....I am anti-social and I'll say it did help get me out and about so I didn't have to stay in the tiny rm any longer than I had to. If she finds a school that will let her live off campus, finding somewhere with housing in her price range will also help narrow the search down.

Hope she finds what she's looking for!

She's still hasn't nailed down her "Major" she said she'll do general studies til she figures it out ?? She has looked (all online) at a few schools in AZ, Mesa and Scottsdale. She doesn't like the drama of living in a dorm. She got accepted to Sierra out in CA ? anyone familiar? any in CA, NM, AZ, FL. I'd rather have her go to FL as airfares are cheaper and she won't be so far away
default_pray.gif

I know your post said your daughter didn't want dorm life, but I'm glad I spent the 1st 2 years in a dorm. I'm on my last semester and I commute. I can definitely say that being on campus those two years really helped me to feel part of the campus. I was aware of so many more events and was able to meet so many more people. Now as a commuter feel a bit distanced from other students and I'm less involved with campus organizations.

She might be able to find a dorm that has an interest group/focus: where I go to school we have one for Women in Science and Engineering, Arts Village, Honors, and Students interested in Teaching/Children.

I don't know the maturity of your daughter but living in an apartment in another state will be difficult. It will include responsibilities like grocery shopping, cooking, laundry, car maintenance, apartment maintenance...etc. Just something you'll want to talk to her about when deciding.

Looks like Sierra College has 4 locations in Northern California - Grass Valley is very nice!
default_yes.gif

Liz N.

When you say community college and apartment and hiking the first thing I think about is NWACC in Bentonville, Arkanasas. http://www.nwacc.edu/web/nwacc/home Lindsey & Associates have more apartments than you shake a stick at and my beloved Ozark Highlands Trail has 175 miles of the most beautitul trails on God's earth. And now you can hike beyond into Missouri. There are four true seasons there. When she is ready to major in something the U of A is just a few minutes down the road. Another option is a community college in Mena, Arkansas which would have the Ouchita Mountains and is has a very warm southern climate but not a lot of apartments but possibly affordable housing to rent. I believe that one is called Rich Mountain or Richmond or Richland. Not sure, but the land around Mena is wonderful. Small town which might be boring for a student but not so far from Hot Springs and the 3 lakes there and lots of hiking trails are near Mena as well as Hot Springs.
default_thumbup.gif

I agree with others that at least one year of dorm life is a huge part of the college experience. I wouldn't have wanted to live there for more than a year, but that one year was enormously important for me. Where else in life do you live that close to people from widely different backgrounds?

Some universities have different options in their dorms -- dorms for serious students and upper-classmen, dorms for different language majors, co-ed dorms, etc. These options can help her avoid those majoring in partying or dating. Another option is to get a single dorm room -- she would get the benefits of a diverse "neighborhood," yet she would have her privacy and a quiet place to study.

Great Ideas. Wish I could sell her on the Arkansas and Florida one. We'll have to see what FAFSA will let us.

As a current broke college kid at a college where it got to -14 outside last week, i am no help with the warm location!

However, I HATED dorms. Ended up with NYC ghetto kids my freshmen year, a dreadful roomate who's dirtbag boyfriend stayed over every night and trashed the place my sophomore year, so my junior year i moved off campus with my fiancee.

We live in our "250ft of awesome" 365 days a year though. We both work full time and go to school fulltime. We save about 25000 combined in room and the required 3000 a semester meal plan! We eat off of $25 a week each now, and we split all inclusive rent. I keep myself AND a horse here for $550 a month! All i pay is cable, do all my own farrier work, most of my vet work, the rest of the bills are covered in rent/board for my little man.

However, it is much harder to "keep up" with studies, and an apartment, and a horse, and a job in middle management on a 500 cow dairy. Some days, homework just doesn't get done, or the house just doesnt get clean, i usually only get to the barn 3X a week tops, and 2 days a week i go from 5 (am) to 9:30 (pm) with a 15 minute break between classes, work, and teaching freshies.

You mentioned Community College. I work for a community college in Southern Ca. I would suggest since she is planning to go out of state, that she consider a 4 year/University rather than a Community College. Community College is for two year transferable only. The reason I say 4 year instead is specifically since she is wanting to go out of her home state. She will have to pay out of state tuition, which is much higher than in state tuitiion for a community college. That said, if you are going to pay that much, makes more sense to go to a 4 year institution and not have to transfer. If she is still in High School, her counselor should do the research for her and should be able to advise her. Any schools in Southern CA will fulfill her requirements for warmer climates. But, rent is not cheap and jobs are hard to find out here, so take that into consideration. Good luck:)

Blinn college in college station - very (!) affordable tuition, highest rate of transfers to A&M, very personable and they must live off campus as there are no dorms. Apartment prices are not cheap, but the lower cost on tuition is worth it, efficiency apartment in a nice complex with security on site, amenities etc for example around $600-650 a month. If renting a place with roommates it's about $100 less.

I agree with going the 4 year route. I have 6 years under my belt, and much prefere the online method. That said if she is going to move away and pay higher fees go to a 4 year where the credits will transfer easier.

Latest posts

Back