Any fellow Sheltie owners out there? :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is Lexie, she is our 4th Sheltie, we just love them. They are great family pets. For some reason ours don't like to play with toys, but otherwise, they are great.

P1000152.jpg

P1000151.jpg

My present Blue Merle sheltie is 15 years old and has been a joy to own. We have had two. Both males,both blue merle.

I got my first one when I was 10 and showed him in obedience as a 4-H project. He lived to 18. We have never had a problem with either of them being yippy or hyper. Both of these males have been larger though than the sable and white that I have seen. Don't know if that's a fluke or not. My sister had a sable and white who was much smaller than my boys and seemed more high strung. Again could be a fluke though her female and my male came from the same breeder. Both my males were excellant with children and other animals. Hope this helps.

Kim

We are another sheltie family. We had a sheltie growing up named Pilgrim (can you guess when we got him? Other names suggested included Pumpkin
default_rolleyes.gif
). He was great. He loved to play with us kids. We played fetch with him and also this game we made up called "Mad Dog." My aunt also had a female sheltie named Princess. After Pilgrim (who only lived to 10 because of a thyroid issue) we got Rose. Rose had puppies once. My aunt got one of those puppies and we kept one. Now I am living with my aunt so the brothers, Malcolm and Victor, are together and just turned 11. They are both tricolor. Well, my aunt was looking at the classifieds and saw an ad for a free female sheltie. She has wanted another female so we welcomed Bridget into the family. (We told the boys she was their birthday present.) Bridget is definitely a bit different than the boys or any other sheltie I've been around. She is hyper a good percentage of the time although she has settled down some already. She seems to like being a country dog now. She loves to yell at me when I am doing or have done something she disapproves of (such as go to work). She also has a ravenous appetite and is always ready to eat. I'll have to add some pictures tomorrow to show you our little pack.

Abby is now on thyroid medication. She had lost a lot her hair and energy a few years ago. Took her to the vet... and she was diagnosed with a thyroid condition. She's on meds. for the rest of her life, but they are very cheap and well worth it to have a healthy and happy girl again. I just read in the Dr. Foster & Smith pet magazine that Shelties were prone to Thyroid problems. I had no idea, but it's ok. She's doing really well on the medications which she gets two times a day with her meals.

Abby is also, a larger sized Sheltie which I like.

The breeder has one female blue puppy, but has a couple people on a waiting list for puppies. She is a large female(which I like). We will see what happens.

I just read in the Dr. Foster & Smith pet magazine that Shelties were prone to Thyroid problems.

My mother says they are or were prone to epilepsy, too. Her Sheltie had it- and she chose to neuter rather then keep a stud-quality dog that passed it on. Apparently it doesn't show till they're well over breeding age (around 4 or older?) and end up passed along.

Granted, that's all stories from my mother, and that was back in... uhm, 70's/80's. I think Campy would have been born in the 60's honestly.

I have a sheltie/skipperkee mix. He's 14 now. I got him from the vets office when he was 5. He's been a mam's dog and really great. He's going blind and deaf now from old age so not sure how much longer he'll be with us. But I like shelties too. He;s the small black one in the picture:

IMG_0616_edited.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Iv'e had 5 Shelties over the last12 years and I love them.

The 2, I have now seen in my avitar are my 9 month old females, Maggie and Katie.
default_biggrin.png
I have always has sable Shelties except my Niki who passed away last July. Niki was a bi/black.

Katie and Maggie

KatieMaggie2.jpg

Nikita (Niki)

Niki2.jpg

I have a 1/2 sheltie boy..he was brought into the flea mkt as a pup with his Mom (GORGEOUS tri girl),,the man gave them all (Mom and 5 puppies) to this idiot that sells anything he can get his hands on..So, the pups went quick for $10 each except the boy I have..the man had hurt his foot and was going to "get rid of him" soooo..he came home with me..he was dirty, wormy and had a wire wrapped around his foot that just about caused him to loose it, but 3 yrs later and he's spoiled, healthy and sleeping in my bed at night..He is very very sweet. I think his father must have been lab..this dog LOVES water and has a coat like a lab..water just runs off him like a duck lol

OK..how do I get my pix on here
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back